Congratulations on your decision to pursue a career as forklift operator. The very first step to begin is to get a forklift license. Synonymously, license is referred to many terms such as forklift certification, training or operator card. Being licensed makes you ripe to be picked by big businesses, it brings various opportunities for your future career. With career path progression, you could become a team leader, and with the necessary training, you could be promoted as forklift training instructor.
Driving forklift is a kind of job that will continue to be in high demand in many countries like the United States, Australia, Canada and the United Kingdom, among other else are the Middle Eastern counties.
We Can Help You To Get Your Forklift License
We've made available the necessary information that you need to make forklift license application as easy and convenient as possible. Application of forklift license varies from country to country, for this reason, we've prepared accurate, current and relevant details about the process where you want to take your forklift training course.
- We’ve prepared lists of training schools, providers and centers of each state or territory where you can take your training course. This is very helpful as you do not have to dig for information online, ask in forum or your colleagues.
- We’ve readied step-by-step and easy to follow detailed instructions on how to apply for the forklift license and training.
- We have useful bog section where readers can study about writing resume, learn about forklift operator job responsibilities, and many diverse subject matters that will be useful.
- We’ve made available for all trainees PDF documents as guides to help them ace the forklift certification.
Select Your Location
Forklift Certification Differs from Country to Country
If you’re located in Australia and you want to know how to obtain your forklift license, you can browse Australia link above. We have lots of tutorials, tips and advices to help you started; tutorials are specific to your state or territory.
If you are intending to get a license in the United States, browse at the U.S section. We can provide you facts, just locate your state where you are located, and read the tutorials.
For Canada and UK, we have special sections that tackle about forklift certification in these countries. Click the link at the above menu, and learn more about licensing in your countries.
If you are in Canada, you can select your province below to see how licensing is being applied:
||Prince Edward Island|
|Manitoba||Newfoundland and Labrador|
Here are some of the many helpful topics that you could use to be able to apply for forklift certification:
- How to Become Forklift Certified
- Where Can You Go to Get Forklift License
- 8 Tips to Help You Choose the Best Forklift Training School
- Requirements You Need Before Applying for a Training Course
- How Much is the Forklift License
- How Long Does the Forklift Training Lasts
- How to Renew Your Old Forklift Certification
- Know More About Online Certification
- When to Take Forklift Refresher Training
- Fines and Penalties
- What Are Your Primary Job Descriptions
The Forklift Training Course
The training course must be in accordance with OSHA standard, training schools must meet the standard or exceed it. The training course is compulsory for all individuals to take as you cannot be certified without going through it.
The training course should be facilitated by an accredited trainer. Accredited means that the trainer himself must be OSHA certified who took and completed the Trainer-the-Trainer program. The trainer must also be experienced in this field, who gained years of experience driving different types of forklifts and training others.
The course is composed of three parts: the formal classroom lectures, the hands-on forklift operation and test and evaluation. This is the standards based on OSHA legislation.
Certificate of training and forklift license will be issued after course completion. The license has three years validity.
We have topics to help you pass the forklift written and driving test:
The Forklift Licensing Requirements
Before you begin your certification, you must get hold of the training requirements. Training school requirements may vary depending on the state or location. Here are the general requirements you need to comply:
- Trainees must not be in legal age of 18 years old. This is the age requirement of the employer as well. You must be at the right age.
- The minimum educational background of a trainee is high school graduate or those who attained GED certification.
- Businesses may require operators to work for long hours during production full swing, a trainee must be in very excellent physical condition and able-bodied to finish job assignment.
- Constant communication at work is key to get the job done that necessitate trainees to speak, write, and communicate in the English language.
Other documentation may be necessary as demanded.
The Role of the Forklift Driving Schools
The schools are synonymously called training centers or providers; or in Australia they’re called registered training organizations. Whatever their name may be, the role of the school is to give comprehensive training programs for all trainees.
The schools have their own facilities to conduct the training at, and they also have their own in-house OSHA certified trainers.
The employer, seeking certification, can arrange such training tailored to their need. The training could also be done at employer's worksite and specific with the fleet.
What is your future as licensed forklift operator?
There will be no shortage of job opportunities for skilled worker like you. There are huge market due to the boom in construction industry, logistics and warehousing companies, ports and shipping lines and manufacturing companies. There should always be skilled operators like you to do the loading and moving of goods in and out of the business.
Look at the graph below from Indeed, from the year 2006 to present there’s a huge spike in these employment opportunities. Though, from 2009 – 2010, the market is heavily affected by the global crisis, it continues to rise after those years.
According to the report issued by US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), forklift driving job will continue to rise until the year 2020. Forklift operators salary will average $31,000 per year.
OSHA THE LEADING AUTHORITY
The training must be regulated according to standards and the employers and operators must follow it, otherwise, they could be penalized. The penalty is severe and harsh.
OSHA requires all employers to train and certify their forklift operators. Inspector can conduct surprise visits making sure that legislation is being adhered to and implemented by big businesses.
Accident can happen anytime, and if operators were found to be unlicensed, they could face fines and criminal charges. OSHA is serious about it!
Government bodies directing forklift license and workers’ benefits
Contacting the proper authority regarding your concerns is the best way. You can visit their websites or telephone them to send your inquiries:
We wish you good luck on your chosen career path. We hope your gather sufficient information from us so you can easily obtain your much required forklift license.
Forklift training is designed to give an edge to forklift operators to be away from harm’s way while at work. The training is crucial is maintaining the workplace safe. A well trained forklift operator is the key to make the business progress and succeed. The employer plays a very vital role in achieving a hazard-free workplace.