In order for you drive to forklift for a living, you need forklift training in Auckland. You need to undergo forklift operator and F endorsement trainings. The operator training will entitle you to hold certificate that makes you eligible to operate one. In addition to this, you need F endorsement to drive the equipment in public or on the road.
If you have in possession full driver’s licence in Auckland, then you can take both of these trainings. However, if you only have learner’s licence or licence with restriction, you can only qualify to take the forklift operating training.
If you want to take one or both of the trainings, here are forklift training providers:
How to Get a Forklift Licence
- Find an approved/registered forklift training instructor or school near you. Below is the directory of training providers in Auckland where you can take training from.
- Take the practical driving of the equipment. Instructor will supervise you on this. He will give you instructions to operate the forklift in safe manner. Take you time to practice.
- Take the theory lectures. The classroom lecture is mandatory. At this stage, you learn the basics of operating forklifts like, stacking, destacking, safe refueling/recharging, pre-inspection, safe handling and operation, parking, safety checks, maintenance, and post-job inspection.
- Pass the test. The instructor will administer exam. The questions are easy to answer if you learned from the practical driving and class lectures. The test will determine if your fate.
- Receive your operator licence and certificate. When you’re successful taking the exam, the instructor will hand over your personal wallet size forklift licence together with the certificate. You need to have an F endorsement to operate the truck on the road and in public place.
Forklift Training Schools in Auckland
Training providers can be found in many areas in Auckland.
If you are a company planning to give training for the workers, you can arrange a schedule with one of these schools/trainers. Onsite teaching is the best method to supply the training. It is the better way because the operators can identify hazards specific to the workplace that should be mitigated, in addition to this, the trainer can modify the subjects to match with the environment and workers’ attitude.
Here are the training providers:
- 1st Choice Forklift Training - 3 Tolich Place, Henderson, Auckland, Phone (09)836-3364
- National Forklift Training - 1 Highbrook Dr, East Tamaki, Auckland 2161, New Zealand, Phone: +64 9-271 6565
- Double R - Unit 3, 43 Allens Rd, East Tamaki Auckland New Zealand, Phone: (09) 273 8992, Fax: (09) 273 8995
- Arco Forklift Instruction - 29 I Paparoa Road Cockle Bay Auckland 2014, 0274143435
- AB Equipment Ltd - 101 Cryers Rd East Tamaki Auckland, 092622709
- Northern Forklifts Ltd - 11 Marken Pl Glenfield Auckland, 094434661, 021430266
- PassRite Driving Academy Ltd - PO Box 13387 Onehunga Auckland, 0800727774, 096360111, fax: 096361499
- Crown Equipment Ltd - 18 Andromeda Crescent East Tamaki Auckland 2013, 0800802002
- AB Equipment Ltd - 10 Cowley Pl Albany Auckland, Phone: 094157600
- Master Drive Services Ltd - 82 Paraite Rd Bell Block New Plymouth 4373, Phone: 067551600
- AB Equipment – has 18 branches in New Zealand, Phone:0800 303 090, 09 262 2709, Fax: 09 262 7797
- Land Based Training - Free Phone: 0508 TRAIN ME (872 466), Phone: (06) 349 0077, Fax: (06) 348 9198
If you are an individual and you’ve never driven fork truck before, then expect that training course to be longer. It may take up two days. If you have some experience, then it could only takes less than a day.
F Endorsement is Needed When You Want to Drive Forklift on the Road or in Public Places
Before you get permitted to drive forklift on the road, you must have F endorsement on your driver’s licence. There are two classes you can be qualified for having an F endorsement, namely: Class 1 and Class 2. These classes differ in the load/weight capacity you can operate/transport on the road. The Class 1 licence is for operator with an F endorsement operating forklift with gross laden weight not more than 18,000 kilograms, while the Class 2 is above 18,000 kilograms.
You must have a valid driver’s licence before you can apply for an F endorsement. The F endorsement expires when you driver’s licence expires.
You can finish forklift operating training and the application of F endorsement in a day.
Forklift Operator’s Role and Requirements
Your role as forklift operator is keep track of the incoming and outgoing stocks or inventory. Loading and unloading of the materials and goods. Your daily duties may differ. During full swing of business operation, you may render work for long hours.
If you are at least 16 years old and with good physical vigor and a holder of car driver’s licence, then you can be hired as forklift operator. Taking of forklift training will be mandatory. Your forklift operator certificate will be your key.
Likewise, to be considered for the job, you will need to have good communication skills and good understanding of the health and safety in place. If English is not your native language, then, you need to present IELTS test result (this requirement may vary from company to company, some don’t require it though).
If you have previous experience, then, the company can offer you better than those without.
Some companies do drug and alcohol testings prior to hiring a job applicant or background check.
Forklift training results in safe and healthy workplace, less equipment damage, less product loss, fewer equipment to repair, boost in workers’ morale, increase in operators’ work productivity, these are the advantages of having forklift training in Auckland. Get a forklift licence first before delving into finding an employment. It will increase your chance of getting employed very easily and offered with better salary.
image attribution: By Leothespoon (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons