forklift license lost and how to replace it

The forklift certificate or operator card that you received after successfully taking the training course is your solid proof that you had undergone such training.

They called it a forklift license.

Operators and employers refer to it as such. It is, in fact, a document of certification in the safe operation of the forklift truck. Everyone called it a forklift license because it is similar to a motor vehicle license. (I will just call to it as a forklift license as well throughout this article)

It is a card that can be fit in your wallet, you need this every time you operate a forklift.

What if you have lost yours and what to do then to replace it?

If you got your license from your employer, through in-house training, tell your employer that you lost it. Request for replacement of it. Your employer can easily confirm that you received and pass the training.

If you received the license from a training school, through a company-sponsored method and you’re still employed with the company, have them contact the school about your missing license. They will be able to assist with how to get a replacement.



Getting the Lost Forklift License Replaced in Other Country

If you are in the United Kingdom, to obtain a copy of your certificate you will need to contact the training provider who trained you and issued the original, or your previous employer, or the body which accredited the training. If you cannot obtain a copy, for some reason, then you may need to retake the training and assessment.

If you took an RTITB training course, your details are listed in the National Operator Registration Scheme (NORS). It allows employers to easily verify your credentials that you are qualified for the job as a forklift driver.

If you received the forklift license from a training provider, you can request for a replacement from them, they will charge you an amount.

In Australia, driving forklifts is considered as high-risk work, and license must be obtained. If you have one, but due to unfortunate circumstances, if it is lost, then you need to reapply in WorkSafe. Here’s what you need to do:

  1. You need to show proof of primary and secondary identification beforehand. Such examples of primary IDs are passport, original birth certificate, driver’s license with photo, citizenship papers, or any valid HRW license; On the other hand, the secondary Ids are: Medicare card, pension card, or any entitlement card, credit or ATM card, bank passbook or statement of account, gas or telephone billing statement not more than 12 months old. Your application will not be accepted if you do not provide such identifications.
  2. Fill up the application, click here to download, be sure that all information is correct and important details are provided. When submitting this form, it must be witnessed by the Australia Post representative when affixing your signature.
  3. Contact WorkSafe at 1300 424 091, for instruction.
  4. Commonly, you will submit your application at the Australia Post, the officer will read thoroughly the details you included in the form, and will ask you why you have to replace your forklift license.
  5. You will pay $59, for the application.
  6. The application will be submitted to WorkSafe for processing.

In the United States, OSHA requires all operators to undergo classroom training, hands-on practice and evaluation in order to obtain their certification in compliance with the Regulation 29 CFR 1970.178 Powered Industrial Truck, however, there is no provision about the reissuance of lost forklift license.

If you lost your certificate, it can be replaced by the trainer who certified you or the training company that trained you.

If you are applying for a job, the easiest way might be to ask the employer to retrain you, you can explain to them that you reach a level of competency relevant for the job, you just lost your certificate as confirmation of your ability.

If you misplaced your license and you want to retake a certification course, you can do it online,  just find a training provider that offers such a course. 

I Was Not Able to Get a Replacement, What Will I Do Now

If you are not successful in replacing your license due to an unfortunate reason, your new employer may ask you to retake the training and get reassessed. If will only take some of your time. The arrangement who will pay for the enrollment will depend on your negotiation. But usually, it is the employer’s obligation to provide the training.

What we also recommend is to take an online certification course. It has been designed to meet the requirements of OSHA 29 CFR 1910.178, ANSI B56.1. Plus the fact that you can easily be awarded certificates upon the successful completion of the training, great if lost your credentials. 

Here is a reliable provider of online forklift certification training, please follow this page



To Recap This

I know it is very frustrating when you find out that your license is nowhere to be found.  You search everywhere but still, you cannot find it. You might have lost it.

To get a replacement for the lost forklift license, contact the training provider where you took the training or the employer who sponsored the course. You can get a  duplicate as long as it is still valid. If it isn't you have to retake the training course.  

Get Certified Fast
Take Forklift Training Online

Get Started Here

Get Your Forklift Certificate Today


Find Great Deals Here

Want to Save Money?
Certify Your Own Operators! Use This: