Let me remind you that when you say forklift license, it always refer to certification, training or operator card. Many refer to it as license including employer, but in actual fact, it is the level of certification in fork truck safety driving attained by the forklift operators. Everyone called it license merely because the card the operator received at the end of each successful training course, is very identical to a motor vehicle license.
If you self-sponsored and accomplished a course from the forklift training school, they usually issued a plastic card oftentimes with your photo attached to it. This card is the your proof of training completion. If you have one in your wallet, make sure you keep it because this is the very first thing potential employer will require from you when you seeking employment from them.
If you got your license from your former employer, through employer-sponsored training, it can be used to present to the new company that you have been certified accordingly, in addition, it is your solid evidence that you have gained experience and expand knowledge from your previous job.
But What If Your Forklift License is Lost or Stolen
If you are in the United Kingdom and took an RTITB accredited training course, the National Operator Registration Scheme (NORS) will make the immediate processing of the misplaced forklift license convenient for you. The HSE has no central registration of forklift operators, to get the license replaced, you can also request from the provider or centre where you got your training and issued the certificate, they will charge you for the replacement.
The NORS scheme allows hiring company to easily check operator’s license if is fake or not. It also enables employers to validate details of the trainings undertaken in the past by the person to identify who he was.
In Australia, driving forklifts is considered as high risk work, and license must be obtained. If you have one, but due to unfortunate circumstance, if was lost, then you need to reapply in WorkSafe. Here’s what you need to do:
- You need to show proof of primary and secondary identification beforehand. Such examples of primary IDs are: passport, original birth certificate, driver’s license with photo, citizenship papers, or any valid HRW license; On the other hand, the secondary Ids are: Medicare card, pension card, or any entitlement card, credit or ATM card, bank passbook or statement of account, gas or telephone billing statement not more than 12 month old. Your application will not be accepted if you do not provide such identifications.
- Fill up the application, click here to download, be sure that all information are correct and important details are provided. When submitting this form, it must be witnessed by the Australia Post representative when affixing your signature.
- Contact WorkSafe at 1300 424 091, for instruction.
- Commonly, you will submit your application at the Australia Post , the officer will read thoroughly the details you included in the form, and will ask you why you have to replace your forklift license.
- You will pay $59, for the application.
- The application will be submitted to WorkSafe for processing.
In the United States, OSHA requires all operators to undergo classroom training, hands on practice and evaluation in order to obtain their certification in compliance with the provision of 1910.178 legislation, however, there is no provision about the issuance of forklift license.
If you lost your certificate, it can be replaced by the trainer who certified you or the training company that trained you.
If you are applying for a job, the easiest way might be to ask the employer to retrain you, you can explain to them that you reach level competency relevant to the job, you just lost your certificate as confirmation of your ability.
I Was Not Able to Get a Replacement, What Will I Do Now
If you are not successful replacing your license due to unfortunate reason, your new employer may ask you to retake the training and get reassessed. If will only take some your time. The arrangement who will pay for the enrollment will depend on your negotiation. But usually, it is the employer’s obligation to provide the training.
To Conclude This
I know it is very frustrating if you find your license nowhere to be found, the mere reason you can tell your new employer is to retake the training, ask them to give you some time to take it. If you can show your serious persuasion and interest for the job, the employer will notice it, they will understand your situation, they may grant your request, and finally grab the job.