To some degree, you are going to supply the required and necessary training for your operators as this was mandated by OSHA. Merchandise come and go and changes in location, labeling and inventory management can be frequent in a busy workplace especially during operation full swing. On top of this insistent daily influx of goods coming in and out, the need for effective communication between you and the forklift operators is very vital. You want to them to be willing to listen you and respond as necessary to any request that may be needed. The easiest but effective way to attain this kind of relationship is to give them credit and value and to pay attention to their need.
- When you encounter your workers, simple greet them at the beginning of their work shift. This attitude establishes closeness.
- Conduct a 5-minute toolbox talk to communicate to all of your staff the daily task at hand than need to be finished. Toolbox talk is an effective tool to tackle what could be the hindrance to finish the daily task, this where the operators can communicate to you to voice their concerns and for you to act on them.
- There are instances when your workers share their personal life with you. Take an interest in anything they share regarding their life. Give advice as needed.
- Take a walk in the warehouse or your area of concerns when the forklift operators are working, and ask them how they are getting on.
- Give compliments to them when they do a good job. Giving credit to such good deeds can help them boost their morale.
- If you assigned some important tasks to your worker, make sure you give gratitude then he completed the job.
When you are going to pat someone on the back for a job well done, do it in front of your workers. This is to reflect to others that you give thanks and they will feel good about it. Besides, we all like to be thanked in return of something, and we like others colleagues to know that we have attained a very good job.
Forklift operators are not the lowest members of the company organization. They should not be treated lowly and small. They are the crucial members of the system. Without them, business could be halt, without their effort, operation could be out in despair.
Based of the nature of organization, there are many tiny ways you can take to make your forklift operators feel loved and satisfied, many of them doesn’t take that much budget:
- Keep a supply of chocolate bars, beverages in can, soda or any thirsts quenchers, give them to your most tired forklift operators during or after a shift. When you do this, make sure you do not give every time to a single individual.
- Birthdays are special occasions. Take a note of your staff’s birthday dates. During his special day, you can simple greet him, conduct a simple surprise or just put a big birthday card at this locker.
- Have a “Employee of the Month” in the prominent place, post the picture and name of the employee who perform beyond expectations. This mean of giving credit works well if you do it every month. You can prepare a selection criteria when choosing.
- Give a prize to forklift operators who have done so much job, you can device a system to monitor their performance.
- Give credit to your forklift operators when they have not been involved in an accident. Again, you can create a tally of their performance in order to do this.
- If your company could give you some finances to uplift workers’ performance behavior, you can treat them at the local restaurant.
Giving Responsibilities to Matured Worker
Because the stream and load of materials that need to be transported never ends in busy environment, always make sure that you assigned a matured think individual to handle a crucial job. Make sure that can act in timely manner. It is not easy to finish something they are pressured, just simply them that such task must be accomplished at this time. Monitor when necessary, just look if you are ahead of schedule.
Scheduling of Duties
A supervisor must try to be as flexible as possible about work scheduling to meet the day’s quota at hand. Some forklift operators may be absent during the time when you most need them, if you encounter such problem, you can gather them for a 10-mnute meeting, ask them about their tasks, once you gather all their thoughts, you can now make work priority, assign someone to perform other assignments to meet the day’s quota.