The forklift had been useful to many types of businesses, you will see it in the construction, warehousing, storage and many kinds of material-handling operations.
But every employer in Canada must be aware that forklift operators must have proper forklift training before they can be given such task.
We all know that forklift had caused thousands of injuries each year. When its operator is trained in the basic and safe use of the equipment they become responsible for using it. Obviously, this has significant benefits for both employers and workers.
To cater your need, we have supplied here, in this part of the website, the necessary information for you to get going. This part covers the certification guides for both individuals and employers alike, we have the directory of training schools where you can take the course, answers to your most frequently asked questions, the latest news about health and safety and other important details to help you on your journey.
We have learning materials to help you pass the exams and evaluations. We also have resources about landing a job and switching to such a career as a forklift operator.
You will see everything here.
Taking the Forklift Training Course
The course is not as complex as you think. If only takes a small amount of time and a little effort to finish. It covers the classroom lectures, hands-on operation and of course the most important part, the performance evaluation.
At the end of the course, if you’re successful, you will receive your license, also called a certificate. This certificate indicates that you have been properly trained in the safe operation of the forklift.
It is required by law to have such qualification, otherwise, you are risking yourself and others, it is, therefore, illegal to operate the equipment without proper certification.
If you are asking how long is the certification good for? Once every three (3) you have to renew it. It is the responsibility of the company to train and evaluate your performance.
But there could be some situations where you have to be retrained such as if the new equipment has been introduced if you have been involved in an accident, if you failed the certification test and if your initial training is not up to the current standard.
Train-the-Trainer Forklift Certification Course
If you are an employer, this course can benefit you a lot. This course is designed for a worker chosen by you to be trained on how to certify fellow forklift operators within your work site.
To choose the right operator to receive this course, he should be someone who has capable to present and deliver the course and is presently a certified operator. I know you won’t be having a hard time choosing the right one.
This course can either be conducted at your own training facility or send the candidate to the school but if I were you, I would rather choose the former option. In this way, the course can be modified to cater to your requirements.
Oops, before I forgot, please do maintain training records. This is handy in case the authority inspects your worksite, you have something to show as proof of compliance with the law.
Forklift Training Varies from Province to Province in Canada
Select your province where you are situated to see the list of training schools, steps to take the training, essential components of the course, present laws and regulations.
||Prince Edward Island|
|Manitoba||Newfoundland and Labrador|
Forklift Legislations in Canada
Ministry of Labor (MOL) conducts regular inspection of companies to ensure compliance with current forklift certification standards. The objective is to increase advocacy and awareness to prevent industrial accidents, damage, injuries, and fatality.
According to the present legislation, MOL will focus on lifting devices specifically to its regular inspection and proper maintenance. They will also prioritize the assessment of the forklift operators and supervisor to ensure that they adequate knowledge to operate the truck and oversee the operation, respectively.
Training records will be inspected upon inspection to check if the employer incorporates the lift truck training to the health and safety program of the company. The implications for these are not for the disadvantage if many of you might think. Workers can be assured of a regular provision of training ensuring ability and skill to drive the machine.
Canadian Standards Association (CSA) oversee the implementation of the safety standard. The latest regulation Safety Standard B335-15 details the elements and specifics of the lift truck operator training program, trainer’s requirements and truck maintenance procedure for the company to obey. This regulation has been released to update the existing one. If the company is following the Occupation Health and Safety Act, then the employer might need to shift to this current regulation to stay current and safe.
What Does the Training Compose Of?
Forklift trucks are one of the most common and versatile types of industrial vehicles in Canada just like in other countries. They are used in many industries, including warehousing, manufacturing, and construction. The widespread use of these trucks in corporate settings has brought operators in danger, hence set of standards has been published to safeguard workers.
The Canadian Standards Association (CSA) is a non-profit organization that develops standards for safety in Canada, it’s basically the counterpart of OSHA in the US. The CSA B335-15 Standard covers the use, operation, inspection, operator qualifications, training program requirements and maintenance of forklifts in Canadian workplaces.
What do the standards require when it comes to operator training? In a short answer, the training course must compose of the following aspects:
- Theory or in-class discussion – the lectures and topics are shown with the use of computer presentations and video demonstrations so that knowledge retention is assured.
- Knowledge verification – it is done by administering written tests that cover what has been discussed in the in-class discussion. The written test is usually multiple-type and is composed of 100 questions. Failure to pass this prompts a retake.
- Practical training – the training would not be completed without practical or hands-on training. The operator will be given ample time to operate the truck, load and transport materials, maneuver the truck in tight spaces, inspect the truck prior to operation, refuel the vehicle and other aspects that may be deemed necessary. All of these are to be done under the supervision of the instructor in a simulated or actual workplace.
- Practical evaluation – this is the final stage of the forklift training, it is so-called the operator assessment or the practical test. The instructor will provide a set of instructions for the operator to perform, he then has to complete it in accordance with what the instructor has taught to him. If the operator has done well during the practical training, he has no problem passing the practical evaluation. At the end, an operator card/certificate (many refer to this as the forklift license) will be issued to successful trainees.
Completion of these four (4) aspects of forklift training courses in Canada is the same in the US.
Additional Training That May Be Related to Forklift Operation
- Operators of propane-powered forklifts will be required to undergo supplementary training to earn a propane handler’s certificate if he’s going to transfer propane from one container to another as part of the refueling procedure. This certificate will not be necessary if the operator is only changing the propane cylinder and not transferring propane.
- Fall Protection Training – There could be times when operators may use elevated work platforms as attachments to the forklift and therefore fall Protection Training is a necessary requirement for anyone who works at heights.
- WHMIS - The WHMIS is the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System. It was established to provide Canadians with information on how to deal with hazardous materials in the workplace. Lift truck operators will be required to undergo training in WHMIS if he’s going to handle hazardous materials as part of their job responsibilities.
Passing the Training and Evaluation
We have several articles in the blog section for you read and learn from about acing the forklift training test and evaluation. There is guidance you can read and you can apply when taking a course. So don’t forget to read them.
Forklift Training Providers
We have made available for you the forklift training providers in different provinces of Canada. Just select the province where you are situated, read the article, and you could find a list of companies with address and contact for you easily get in touch with them to make an inquiry.
If you are looking for a forklift training course, there are many providers that offer these courses. However, not all of them are the best and it is important to find the right one. The below information will help you find the best forklift training provider in Canada.
- Ask for recommendations from people who have taken the course before
- Check if they have any certifications
- Check if they have a good reputation
- Compare their prices with other providers
- Make sure they teach according to your needs
- Find out how long they have been in business
- Take a look at some reviews of their courses online
If you are looking for one, we made a list of training providers by province, just choose the province where you are or where you want to take the training, and the directory is listed there. Aside from the list, you will also find some good information on how to become a forklift operator in that province – a piece of handy information so that you won’t have a hard time searching.
Landing a New Forklift Driving Job
If you aren’t satisfied with your present line of work, then you surely want to change your situation right now by finding a new job. If you feel you’re not getting the kind of support and financial reward you need from your company, then you surely also to find a forklift job. There are lots of them out there. But are you equipped with the knowledge to find one in Canada? Do you have the proper lift truck training?
We can assist you with it. Just read our blog section, and you can read lots of articles about pieces of advice and suggestions.
Wrapping It Up
Obtaining your license in Canada must convenient for you, and make sure that regulation and standard followed. You cannot be fully certified if you did not consider them as priorities.
We wish you good luck in your career. We also hope that you can get much information from us.