Operating forklifts and being a material handler in the warehouse is one of jobs that you can take with just few days of training. Depending on the skill levels you have, you can become certified forklift operator in no time and get employed in the warehouse, transport and logistics company in Gloucestershire. Employer hire applicants for the job is they have forklift licence or certificate, it is recognized as proof that you’ve attended and completed a certain forklift training, therefore, it is mandatory for you to have an operator certificate first before you venture out there looking for job.
If you are an absolute beginner or a seasoned operator, we made this tutorial to cater for your need. Here, we’ve listed down list of training centres in Gloucestershire where you can take training from and the steps you will take so that you wont be having a hard time figuring out what to do.
So, without further ado, we’ll start how to take and undergo a forklift training course.
How to Take a Forklift Training Course
- The most common mistake people make is that they do not know what type of truck they want to be trained on. Hence, before you register for a training course, specify the type of forklift you want to have skills operating. That way also, instructor can deliver the curriculum exact to that kind of truck.
- You must also know the skill level you have. There are several courses depending on the skill that you can take, you could either one of these: novice, conversion, semi-experienced or untested operator training and refresher course. For more understanding of these courses, see blow for more details.
- Registering for a forklift training course at the accredited training centre is the best way to get certified. They have the capacity and competent instructor to teach students. If you are an employer, you can also contract the centre to deliver the training on-site.
- Once you are enrolled, you will be undergoing classroom and practical trainings. These are two most vital components of the course. Inside the classroom, students will learn the basic controls, operational procedures and other specifics of the forklift you want to operate. The most important aspect of the training is highlighting safety at work, you will learn this also. At the end of the lecture, the instructor will administer an examination. Passing it is easy. If you failed the exam, you can read this: what to do if you failed forklift certification test.
- Taking the practical driving. The instructor will supervise you regarding the actual driving. He will tell what to do if you are having difficulty what to do. This is where you will implement what you’ve learnt from the classroom. At the end of the practical driving, the instructor will measure your skill by giving you instructions or test to perform such as maneuvering, loading, unloading, reversing, lifting of load from/to a certain elevation, and other tasks that may be deemed necessary.
- Receiving your certification. Once you are successful passing the written and practical tests, you will then receive your certificate. Congratulations, you are now a certified forklift operator.
Forklift Training Centres in Gloucestershire
Below are the training centres or schools where you can register for a course. Select one that is most nearest to you or choose the school that suits your requirement.
| GL Training Services Centre
Mansfield Yard, Church Lane, Moreton Valence, Gloucester GL2 7NB
| Global FLT Ltd. Training Provider
Unit 5, Pegasus Centre Gloucester Business Park, Hurricane Rd, Brockworth, Gloucester GL3 4FF, UK
Call: +44 1452 548848
| Greenlite Training
Unit 16, Bamfurlong Industrial Park, Staverton, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
| RJS Training
|Gloucester Lift Trucks
Unit 8 Rectory Farm Works, Bisley, Nr Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6 7AS
|National Forklift Training Association
Provide on-site training for over 10 years; gives full details of training record so that you can comply with HSE requirements.
For enquiry, call: 07387 851 811
|RTW Transport Services
Unit 22 Lansdown Industrial Estate, Gloucester Road, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
Call: 01242216797 or 07785294256
|C&G Services (Europe) Ltd
201 The Waterfront, Stonehouse Business Park, Stonehouse
Gloucestershire, GL10 3UT
Phone: 01453 826781, Fax: 01453 792123
|CRS Training Services Ltd
161A Lydney Industrial Estate, Harbour Road, Lydney,
Gloucestershire, GL15 4EJ
|GB Forklifts Ltd
M2 Innsworth Technology Park, Innsworth Lane, Gloucester
GL3 1DL, United Kingdom
Telephone: (01452) 731350, Fax: (01452) 731373
|LGS Transport Services Ltd
Serves Gloucester and other nearby areas as well
|Vally Plant Training
7 Willis Walk, Northway ,Tewkesbury, Gloucester, GL20 8RW
Free Phone 0800 689 1793, Mobile 07724 967694
|Derek W Hancox Ltd
Ashdene Road, The PluddsRuardean, Gloucestershire GL17 9UQ
Tel: 01594 860182Fax: 01594 861573
|Universal Training and Transport
Mansfield House, Church Lane, Gloucester, GL2 7NB
Phone: 01452 720 217
|National Forklift Training Association
Offers counterbalance forklift training for 10 years. They specialized in this type of truck since it is the commonly-used equipment and most popular course to conduct.
Call: 07387 851 811
|Ermin Plant Hire Services Ltd
Serves Gloucester and other nearby locations and provides many training services in many heavy equipment
Call: 01452 526616
|Specialised Training Services
Supplies trainings in many types of forklifts, cater all operator skill levels
11 Watermill Close, Mill Lane, Falfield, Wotton-under-Edge, South Gloucestershire
Telephone: 01454 261831
Mobile: 07739 720727
How Long Does Your Forklift Operator Certificate Last?
Your forklift certificate you have in your possession is your evidence that you’ve successfully undergone a training course. The skill that you’ve attained has no expiry but the HSE proposes that you refresh your knowledge every three years and it is the maximum gap between refresher training. This applies whether you are experienced or a notice operator. Your performance must be regularly assessed so that you won’t pose serious danger to others and to make sure you operate the truck safely.
There are special cases where you must take refresher training even if the 3 years gap is yet to expire. You will take refresher course if you are involved in workplace accident such as near miss property damage incident, you are assigned to operate different forklift you have no experience driving and when you are assigned in other location (you must take site-specific training).
What Do You Need to Become a Forklift Operator?
It is important for you to understand that forklift operator must maintain a certain level of medical fitness. Medical test is performed before employment. The medical test will be done in regular interval when the operator reaches middle age. The five-year interval is recommend when the operator is at age 40 up to 65. The annual medical examination is to be done by forklift operator whose age is above 65. Medical examination is also done immediately after an accident, or when the operator is absent at work for more than a month, or after a period of sickness and when it is believed that the illness may affect fitness of the operator to drive the forklift.
The HSE Approved Code of Practice that no person shall operate lift truck if he’s under the minimum school leaving age. If operator’s place of work is at the dock, then he must be at least 18 years old.
In order for you to get hired by employer, it is mandatory for you to have in your possession a valid forklift licence. No employer shall employer a candidate for the job if he’s lacking this important document. If you have licence issued in other country that can’t be accepted, you must retake a training course.
To Wrap This
People assume that driving forklift is easier than sedan. In fact, it is more dangerous that your car. Operating forklift it should be done with respect and importance. Given that fact, you must be trained first before you operate this piece of equipment.
If you want to have a career as forklift operator and enter this field of material handling, get trained first. Forklift driver is in demand in Gloucestershire.