In New Jersey, companies follow the OSHA standards 29 CFR 1910.178. If you want to become a certified forklift operator, you have to be licensed to start working. Having certification ensures employers that you are thoroughly trained to avoid penalty being imposed by OSHA to employers that violate that standard.
Companies in New Jersey sometimes can mistakenly hire an operator who assumes know how to drive forklifts safely. Without comprehensive training, these operators can inflict danger himself and to other workers. If you present your license during the job hiring process, you are more like to get accepted.
But how to be certified driving forklift? This is a very common question for the new operator. Here, we offer you the steps you need to do:
But before that, READ these helpful articles that you can read to help you obtain your forklift certification:
- How to Become Forklift Certified
- Where Can You Go to Get Forklift License
- 8 Tips to Help You Choose the Best Forklift Training School
- Requirements You Need Before Applying for a Training Course
- How Much is the Forklift License
- How Long Does the Forklift Training Lasts
- How to Renew Your Old Forklift Certification
- Know More About Online Certification
- When to Take Forklift Refresher Training
- Fines and Penalties
- What Are Your Primary Job Descriptions
Some words for the employer who are seeking training for their workers, check these useful topics to help you:
- Will the Company train the operator to drive forklifts
- How to save money training the forklift operators
- Purpose and Objective of Forklift Operator Safety Training
- Contents and Topics that must be included in the training
Obtaining Your Forklift Certification
In order to obtain your certification, you need to undertake the appropriate training through the training school or by an employer-sponsored workshop. It’s your employer’s responsibility.
Most employers are safety conscious, they require the applicants to be certified first before getting hired. Applicants are encouraged to get certification before anything else.
Now if you’re an individual, you can do these steps to get your own certification easily:
- Your application for training must indicate what specific machine you’ll be driving: pallet truck, order picker, etc. Should you require driving other types of machine, you need to take separate training.
- Enroll for the course. The course lasts for 1 to 2 days. Its cost ranges from $100 to $200. Attend the classes and practical training.
- OSHA requires that the course should include class instruction and practical operation. The topics to discuss during classroom discussion include company policies on forklift operation, load capacities and calculation, basic controls, safety awareness, accident video presentation, OSHA and federal rules, if any, and other necessary subjects. The practical operation is administered by a certified trainer who oversees your performance. The trainer observes your driving skill and makes corrections if you unsafely doing the driving.
- Evaluation is required after these completed parts of the course. The trainer will perform an evaluation through a written exam. The trainer will require your driving demonstration and rate you based on your performance.
- If you score well, the trainer will print out and sign your certification and license. Bring these documents when seeking for employment.
- The certification is valid for three years. Once you are trained and you maintained your driving skill, you only to complete refresher course to renew it when certification expires.
Forklift Training Schools in New Jersey
Here are the schools and training centers in NJ where you can take your certification course. Contact them and make an inquiry about your requirements.
- NJ Forklift LLC - 198 Route 206, Unit 2A, Hillsborough, NJ 08844, Phone: +1 877-653-6755
- EZ Wheels – Driving School - 1518 Summit Avenue, Union City, NJ 07087, Tel: +1 973-470-0190
- Eastern Lift Truck Co. Inc. - 549 E Linwood Ave, Maple Shade Township, Tel:: +1 856-779-8880
- C & C Lift Truck Inc. - 30 Parkway Pl, Edison, NJ 08837, Contact: +1 732-727-4500
- Raymond of New Jersey, LLC - 1000 Brighton St, Union, Tel: +1 908-624-9570
- Smith and Solomon Training Solutions - 402 Rising Sun Rd., Bordentown, Phone: 609-291-0354; 1-800-622-0355
- Certified Health and Safety Services, LLC - 1902 A Taylor's Lane, Cinnaminson, NJ, +1 856-829-4463
- Goodwill - 2835 Route 73 S, Maple Shade, NJ, Phone: +1 856-439-0174
- Rentalift - 48 Alabama Avenue, Paterson, NJ 07503, +1 973-684-6111
- Arbor Materials Handling Inc. - Phone: 856.963.2700
- Modern Group - 112-128 Route 17 North Hasbrouck Heights, NJ; Phone: 201-288-1441
- Crown Lift Trucks - 104 Bauer Dr, Oakland, NJ; Phone: +1 201-337-1211
- Rowan College at Gloucester County - 1400 Tanyard Rd, Sewell, NJ 08080
- Newark One-Stop Career Center - Phone: (973) 648-7719
- Barcklay - 2401 S Clinton Ave, South Plainfield, NJ 07080, Tel: +1 908-561-2100
- Skyworks LLC - 2092 NJ-57, Washington, NJ, Phone: +1 610-250-0300
- New Jersey State Safety Council - 6 Commerce Dr # 300, Cranford, Phone: +1 908-272-7712
- First Access Inc. - 24 D Commerce Road Fairfield; Phone: (800) 381 5729, (800) 381 5729
- South Lift, Inc. - 24 Commerce Rd, Fairfield, Phone: +1 800-381-5729
- GAR Equipment - 2624 Hamilton Blvd, South Plainfield, NJ; Phone: +1 800-272-1146
- MHS Lift - 6965 Airport Hwy Ln, Pennsauken Township, NJ Phone: +1 877-647-9320
- All Staffing and Warehousing - 290 Oak Street, Perth Amboy NJ; Tel: 732-442-2255
- Maintainco Inc - 65 Leuning St, South Hackensack, Phone: +1 201-487-2565
The certification process can take place at the company’s site to be performed by an approved professional. The employer must keep record and document the training so that employer can present to OSHA inspector when they’re visited.
Forklift Training Requirements
- A trainee must be 18 years and above. You must submit an ID to confirm your age. Hiring an operator younger than 18 is prohibited.
- It is much easier to train individuals with prior experience driving a forklift, this is not mandatory but preferred.
- Trainees must have completed high school or in possession of GED certificate
- Good physical condition
- Must be in proper attire during the training (wearing of PPE is mandatory).
- Literacy skill is needed to understand instruction
- Can communicate effectively with others.
Salary of a forklift operator in this state
A certified forklift driver can be paid at $39,500 on average per year. Based on May 30, 2018 survey report of Salary.com, here are the cities and towns of Nevada that provide better salary for forklift operators:
|Lakewood||$40,609||West New York||$42,782|
If an operator can display motivation and maturity towards his job, operator an expect employment promotion.
At business’ peak season, forklift operators can be assigned to work longer hours, overtime may exceed as much as 4 hours per day.
If you want to work in Delaware, you can follow this article to see how to get your forklift license.
Topics on Finding Forklift Jobs
- How to find jobs as forklift operator with no experience
- Is driving forklifts the right job for you
- How to make your profession as forklift operator become a lifetime career
- How to shift to another career as forklift driver
- What you need to know when choosing career
- When you should and shouldn't shift to a new job
In case you have concerns and questions about wage-related matters and with regards to occupational safety and health, you may contact these agencies:
Department of Labor and Workforce Development
1 John Fitch Plaza, P.O. Box 110 Trenton, NJ 08625
OSHA New Jersey
Avenel Area Office
1030 St. Georges Avenue
Plaza 35, Suite 205
Avenel, New Jersey 07001
Cities and Municipalities of NJ
Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth, Trenton, Clifton, Camden, Passaic, Union City, Bayonne, Vineland, New Brunswick, Perth Amboy, Hoboken, Plainfield, Hackensack, Sayreville, Kearny, Linden, Atlantic City, Fort Lee, Fair Lawn, Long Branch, Garfield, Westfield, Millville, Rahway, Englewood, Bergenfield, Paramus, Bridgeton, Ridgewood, Lodi, Cliffside Park, South Plainfield, Carteret, North Plainfield, Summit, Roselle, Pleasantville, Palisades Park, Elmwood Park, Hawthorne, Glassboro, Morristown, Point Pleasant, Dover, Rutherford, Tinton Falls, Lindenwold, Dumont, New Milford, Secaucus, Asbury Park, South River, Madison, North Arlington, Hopatcong, Phillipsburg, Hammonton, Tenafly, Ramsey, Highland Park, Collingswood, Fairview, Middlesex, Harrison, Metuchen, Roselle Park, Oakland, Ridgefield Park, Eatontown, Princeton, Ringwood, Red Bank, New Providence, Somerville, Freehold, Hasbrouck Heights, Woodland Park, Ocean City, Florham Park, Glen Rock, Haddonfield, Bellmawr, Edgewater, Gloucester City, River Edge, Wallington, Guttenberg, Wanaque, Pompton Lakes, Beachwood, Ridgefield, Westwood, Totowa, Somers Point, Ventnor City, Little Ferry, Franklin Lakes, Lincoln Park, Bound Brook, Manville, Kinnelon, Pine Hill, Hillsdale, Woodbury, Keansburg,