Ohio is one of the states that follow OSHA rules. OSHA 1910.175 states that all forklift drivers should be professionally trained and certified before they can operate a powered industrial truck such as the forklift.
For experienced individuals who are currently employed or have been employed as forklift operator would be easy for them to get recertified because they’ve become familiar with the process.
Now, if you’re new or novice, it would be difficult on how will you get an edge to get accepted for the job you wanted. That’s why we’ve prepared this step-by-step tutorial in applying for a forklift certification in Ohio. Read on:
Steps in Taking Forklift Certification
- Enroll for a forklift operation training programs being offered by a training school. The list of schools is mentioned below, refer to the list and choose one nearest to you.
- Attend the 8 hours of classroom training that includes lectures on basic truck controls and instruments, driving fundamentals, pedestrian traffic, hazard and danger analysis, load computation, machine center of gravity balancing, OSHA rulings, federal laws related to forklift licensing, video or power point presentations of accidents to get lessons from, instilling of safety cultures, importance of wearing PPEs, safety procedure, incident proper reporting, refueling, recharging, operating limitations, safe maneuvering in different road surfaces, working in confined space and narrow aisle, and many other subjects that will be relevant.
- After the classroom discussions, trainees will be given questionnaire. This part of the course and passing it is prerequisite for taking the last part hands-on forklift operation of the course. In order to pass, the trainees must have at least 70% of the questions answered correctly. The passing rate may also depend on the set standard of the school.
- Then the practical training follows. This hands-on training is very identical to workplace warehouse condition. The professional trainer will administer this practical training and will individual trainee set of duties to accomplish. How each trainee handles the tasks will determine their skills driving the forklift. You must prove to the trainer you’ve gained enough knowledge and competency.
- If the trainer is satisfied with trainee's performance, the successful individual will receive an achievement or certification together with wallet-size license card.
- Forklift license renewal or recertification is being done every three years.
Note: If you have been involved in a forklift-related accident or been noticed driving the machine in an unsafe manner or having an expired license, you must take the refresher course.
There are several methods where you can get a refresher course, one of which is through a company-sponsored training course. It is common for large companies to designate an internal forklift trainer. This professional is hired to perform duties such as this, and obligate all individuals on-site to follow safety rules driving forklifts.
In small companies incapable to hire a professional or unequipped with such facility, generally, they arrange a training schedule with training providers (schools, centers, etc), and send their operators to the training location.
Whatever method a company chose, the mere objective is for their fleet to become recertified because they did not know when OSHA inspector will come to check their operators’ compliance. If the company found incompliant, they can face hefty fines.
Before you on, I would like to invite you to READ these important article related to getting certification:
- How Long is the Training to Complete?
- Is Online Training Suits You?
- When Do You Need Forklift Retraining/Refresher Course?
- What Are Your Work Responsibilities and Description?
- How to Become Fully Certified to Operate the Truck?
- Where Can You Take the Forklift Training?
- Salary of Forklift Operator by State and City
- What are the Requirements Before Taking the Training?
If you are a company and looking for ways to get your operators certified, here are the topics you need to know, READ these:
- How to Provide Cost Effective Training to Save Money?
- It is Your Obligation to Provide Training for Your Workers
- How Operators Being Trained to be OSHA Certified?
- Workers is Injured at Work, Are You Liable?
Forklift Training Requirements
- Must be at the age of 18 years old and above. It is illegal to train the underage individuals, likewise hiring them.
- Must be a high school graduate or have GED certificate
- No criminal record
- No history of substance abuse
- If taking medications, you must specify what for
- Good vision and with good physical conditioning
- Must be dressed in proper PPEs
Forklift Training Schools in Ohio, United States
Place yourself or your forklift operators for training! Here are the schools and training providers in Ohio. Enroll with them to become OSHA compliant.
- MH Equipment - 2055 Hardy Pkwy. St. Columbus, OH (614) 871-1571
- HFC Safety Council
- Towlift Inc. – Cleveland, Ohio, (216) 749.6800
- Cuyahoga Community College - 700 Carnegie Avenue, Cleveland, (216)-987-3231
- Falls Away Equipment Company - 1277 DeValera Avenue, Akron, 855-662-4379
- Toyota Material Handling Ohio - 8310 Airport Hwy, Toledo, (419) 740-5539
- Valley Industrial Trucks - 1152 Meadowbrook Ave. Youngstown, (330) 788-4081
- All Lift Service Company - 4607 Hamann Parkway, Willoughby, Ohio 44094, 877-303-LIFT
- Greater Cleveland Safety Council - Hanna Building, 1422 Euclid Ave. Suite 1668, Cleveland, (216) 621-0059
- Bohl Equipment - Serve Toledo, Marion, Fort Wayne, (888) 695-3105
- Miami Industrial Trucks - Dayton:800-444-4808, Findlay: 800-968-4898, Toledo: 866-531-4601, Troy: 800-766-7890
- Bobcat Enterprises - Cincinnati, 888-290-2130
- StraightUp Equipment Company - 1071 West Goodale Blvd., Columbus, 1-877-548-4422
- Williams Toyotalift - 9462 Main Avenue SE, East Sparta, (330) 866-2121
- Crown Education Center - New Bremen, Ohio
- ProLift Industrial Equipment - 6282 Executive Blvd, Dayton, (937) 237-0976
- KMH Systems – 6900 Poe Ave., Dayton, (800)-962-3178
- Stark State College - 6200 Frank Avenue NW, North Canton, 330-494-6170
- Ohio Laborers Training - Drexel J. Thrash Training Center 25721 Coshocton Road, Howard, 1-800-635-7570
- Safety Council of Northwest Ohio
- Four County Career Center - 22-900 State Route 34, Archbold, 419.267.3331, 800.589.3334
- Ohio State University – Environmental Health and Safety - 1314 Kinnear Road, Columbus, (614) 292-1284
- Forklifts of Toledo - 140 N. Byrne Road, Toledo, 419-531-6110, 800-942-6382
How Much Pay You Can Get as Certified Forklift Operator
Based on the latest December 01, 2018, salary report of Salary.com, here are the cities of Ohio that offer the high salary for forklift operators:
|$35,448 - Alexandria||$35,462 - Johnstown|
|$35,296 - Addyston||$35,433 - Kilbourne|
|$35,014 - Alpha||$35,297 - Kirkersville|
|$35,209 - Amelia||$35,928 - Lakewood|
|$35,592 - Amlin||$35,263 - Lansing|
|$35,404 - Ashley||$35,549 - Lewis Center|
|$35,505 - Ashville||$35,606 - Lockbourne|
|$35,209 - Batavia||$35,224 - Loveland|
|$35,913 - Bedford||$35,711 - Madison|
|$35,263 - Bellaire||$35,403 - Lyons|
|$35,332 - Berea||$35,351 - Mentor|
|$35,094 - Bethel||$35,238 - Miamiville|
|$35,263 - Blaine||$35,267 - Milford|
|$35,884 - Brecksville||$35,263 - Mingo Junction|
|$35,889 - Broadview Heights||$35,404 - Mount Liberty|
|$35,928 - Brookpart||$35,263 - Mount Pleasant|
|$35,094 - Buford||$35,578 - New Albany|
|$35,404 - Caledonia||$35,224 - New Richmond|
|$35,267 - Camp Dennison||$35,267 - North Bend|
|$35,578 - Canal Winchester||$35,889 - North Royalton|
|$35,476 - Carrol||$35,563 - Orient|
|$35,827 - Chargin Falls||$35,510 - Painesville|
|$35,812 - Chesterland||$35,505 - Pataskala|
|$35,310 - Cincinnati||$35,711 - Perry|
|$35,928 - Cleveland||$35,563 - Pickerington|
|$35,621 - Columbus||$35,292 - Radnor|
|$35,563 - Commercial Point||$35,928 - Rocky River|
|$35,101 - Dayton||$35,224 - Ross|
|$35,263 - Dillonvale||$35,263 - Shadyside|
|$35,592 - Dublin||$35,159 - Sheffield Lake|
|$35,812 - Eastlake||$35,856 - Solon|
|$35,889 - Euclid||$35,404 - Sparta|
|$35,224 - Fairfield||$35,303 - Strongsville|
|$35,094 - Freesburg||$35,563 - Summit Station|
|$35,014 - Franklin||$35,462 - Sunbury|
|$35,491 - Galena||$35,287 - Thornville|
|$35,856 - Gates Mill||$35,197 - Twinsburg|
|$35,045 - Goshen||$35,101 - Vandalia|
|$35,149 - Green Camp||$35,159 - Vermilion|
|$35,621 - Groveport||$35,224 - West Chester|
|$35,166 - Hamilton||$35,534 - West Jefferson|
|$35,404 - Hebron||$35,592 - Westerville|
|$35,621 - Hilliard||$35,856 - Wickliffe|
|$35,928 - Independence||$35,798 - Willoughby|
|$35,263 - Yorkville|
If you want to work in Kentucky, the salary wage is lower.
If you are a veteran operator who is certified to operate different types of forklift trucks, you can ask for a higher wage from the company during the hiring process. When you’re in and showed professional knowledge toward your job, the company may delegate you for a mature role as trainer, examiner or as a compliance officer. Higher job position means a higher salary.
Offices of DoC and OSHA
If you have inquiries about wages and rates, safety standards, licensing concerns, and any related matters you want to clarify, you can contact one of the concerning authorities:
Department of Commerce
77 South High Street, 22nd Floor
Columbus, OH 43215
Cleveland Area Office
6393 Oak Tree Blvd., Suite 203
Independence, Ohio 44131-6964
Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation
BWC, 30 W. Spring St., Columbus, OH 43215-2256
Cities of OH
Columbus,Cleveland,Cincinnati,Toledo,Akron,Dayton,Parma,Canton,Youngstown,Lorain,Hamilton,Springfield,Kettering,Elyria, Lakewood, Cuyahoga Falls, Euclid, Middletown, Mansfield, Newark, Mentor, Cleveland Heights, Beavercreek,Strongsville, Fairfield, Dublin, Warren, Findlay, Lancaster, Lima, Huber Heights,Marion, Westerville, Reynoldsburg, Grove,Stow,Delaware, Brunswick, Upper Arlington, Gahanna, Westlake, North Olmsted, Fairborn, Massillon, Mason,North Royalton, Bowling Green, North Ridgeville, Kent, Garfield Heights, Shaker Heights, Hilliard,Medina, Barberton, Wooster, Sandusky, Xenia, Green,Zanesville, Riverside,Troy,Trotwood,Centerville,Athens, Solon,Maple Heights, Avon Lake, Alliance, South Euclid, Willoughby, Hudson, Marysville,Chillicothe, Wadsworth, Oxford, Sidney, Avon,Parma Heights, Perrysburg,Piqua, Ashland, Oregon, Portsmouth, Rocky River, Miamisburg, Lebanon, Painesville, Broadview Heights, Niles, Brook Park, Norwood, Mayfield Heights,Ashtabula, Berea, Sylvania, Twinsburg,Forest Park, Steubenville, Eastlake, Pickerington,Whitehall, Tiffin, East Cleveland, Tallmadge, North Canton,Springboro,New Philadelphia, Norwalk, Mount Vernon, Fairview Park, Fremont, Defiance, Streetsboro,Middleburg Heights, Bay Village, Aurora, Vandalia,