Driving forklifts could be your next occupation. In Texas, your skill is greatly in demand, you can work in construction, storage factories, seaports airports, and warehouses. The demand is continuous and you can expect a long-term career in this field. But before you can get your hands on the forklift, you need to have certification.
Unlike any other states in the US, Texas is stricter in terms of operating forklift in the workplace. You can be fined and face charges when you get involved in an accident without proper certification.
We have prepared this tutorial to get your forklift license and so you can start driving.
But before that, here are some of the many helpful topics that you can read in order to get your forklift certification:
- How to Become Forklift Certified?
- Where Can You Go to Get Forklift License?
- 8 Tips to Help You Choose the Best Forklift Training School
- Requirements You Need Before Applying for a Training Course
- How Much is the Forklift License?
- How Long Does the Forklift Training Last?
- How to Renew Your Old Forklift Certification?
- Know More About Online Certification
- When to Take Forklift Refresher Training?
- Fines and Penalties
- What Are Your Primary Job Descriptions?
Forklift Certification Course
- Evaluate what forklift truck you desire to operate because the forklift training course should be specific to the forklift truck you have chosen.
- Enroll in the training course. We have made a list of training schools in Texas that offer training courses. Check the list below.
- OSHA states that classroom lecture must be part of the course. At this, you will be given training supplies, video and power point presentations as teaching materials.
- A written exam will be administered in order to evaluate the knowledge you have gained.
- It is to be followed by actual driving of the forklift truck. The trainer will oversee your performance. He will ask you to do sorts of tasks, accomplish it, and you can expect to receive your certification.
- At the end of the course, you will receive a certificate of training and license card (operator card). These are your evidence that you have taken and completed a training course. Show these when applying for a job or present them to your employer.
Every three years, you need to show proof of competency driving forklift truck. You can renew your license at this time.
Forklift Training Schools in Texas
You may find dozens of training providers on the internet. You must be aware that you cannot get your forklift certification by taking the course online. You need to enroll in forklift driving school to acquire proficiency and education. Here are the training schools in the state of Texas:
|IVES Training Group
3120 Spur 482, Irving
| Forklift Training And Certification Academy
| Sunbelt Industrial Trucks (Dallas)
1617 Terre Colony Ct, Dallas
| Sunbelt Industrial Trucks (Houston)
300 Bammel Westfield Rd
| Lonestar Forklift
Serves Houston and Dallas,
| Forklift Services LLC
1200 Luke St., Irving
|Forklift Training And Certification Academy
4743 Memphis St., Dallas
| Forklift Certification Specialist
1316 Motor Circle, Dallas
|Actified Forklift Training, Inc.
1200 E Collins Blvd., Richardson,
Shoppa's Material Handling
16613 W., Hardy Road, Houston,
900 Port America Place
|Dallas Forklift Service Inc.
Serves Dallas and Ft. Worth
|Colin County Community College
|Irwin Training Solutions
12758 Cimarron Path #127
Serves many other locations and towns in Texas
3914 Warehouse Row, Austin
|International Safety Training
|Omega Safety Training
4654 Hwy 6 North, Ste. 207
|Forklift University Texas
3914 Warehouse Row, Austin
4100 Duncanville Road, Dallas
| Angelina College
3500 South First Street, Lufkin
If you are an employer who is seeking training for your workers, here are some useful guidance for you:
- Will the Company train the operator to drive the forklift?
- How to save money training the forklift operators?
- Purpose and Objective of Forklift Operator Safety Training
- Contents and Topics that must be included in the training
- You must have a valid driver's license
- You must be 18 years and above
- With basic literacy skills
- High school graduate or with GED certificate
- No police record and do not have substance abuse
Refresher course can be given in different circumstances:
• If the operator is involved in an accident on the premises.
• The operator has been seen driving the forklift in an unsafe manner.
• If the operator is assigned to drive forklift other than those truck he is used to operating.
• Employer mush refresh operator if they change set up in the workplace.
Forklift Operator Salary in Texas
How much does a forklift operator make in this state? As of June 27, 2019, the yearly salary ranges from $31,824 - $40,784. The salary varies from city to city. If you are in Louisiana, the wage is a bit lower.
Here are the cities of this state that offer high salary for forklift operators:
|$36,295 - Addison||$37,200 - Hampstead|
|$35,530 - Adkins||$36,795 - Highlands|
|$35,525 - Aledo||$37,493 - Houston|
|$37,473 - Alief||$37,313 - Humble|
|$35,609 - Alvarado||$35,585 - Joshua|
|$36,449 - Alvin||$35,622 - Justin|
|$37,200 - Andreson||$35,642 - Kennedale|
|$36,234 - Angleton||$37,317 - Kingwood|
|$35,471 - Atascosa||$35,815 - Kyle|
|$36,030 - Austin||$35,886 - La Marque|
|$36,295 - Balch Springs||$36,528 - La Porte|
|$37,239 - Barker||$36,374 - League City|
|$37,200 - Bay City||$36,017 - Liberty|
|$36,526 - Baytown||$36,271 - Liverpool|
|$35,584 - Bedford||$37,317 - Manvel|
|$37,493 - Bellaire||$35,744 - Midlothian|
|$35,952 - Buda||$35,642 - Naval Air Station|
|$35,525 - Burleson||$35,486 - Newark|
|$35,737 - Burton||$37,415 - North Houston|
|$36,236 - Carrolton||$36,083 - Onalaska|
|$36,406 - Cedar Lane||$37,356 - Pasadena|
|$37,337 - Channelview||$35,955 - Pilot Point|
|$37,200 - Chappell Hill||$36,178 - Plano|
|$35,613 - Clute||$37,200 - Pointblank|
|$37,337 - Deer Park||$36,627 - Rosharon|
|$36,256 - Desoto||$36,197 -Rowlett|
|$35,536 - Doss||$35,627 - San Antonio|
|$36,295 - Duncanville||$35,638 - Sanger|
|$36,406 - Elmaton||$36,361 - Seabrook|
|$35,871 - Euless||$36,083 - Shepherd|
|$35,710 - Fentress||$35,491 - Somerset|
|$36,158 - Ferris||$37,434 - South Houston|
|$35,790 - Forreston||$37,278 - Spring|
|$35,536 - Fredericksburg||$36,406 - Sweeny|
|$35,844 - Frisco||$35,886 - Texas City|
|$37,473 - Galena Park||$37,200 - Tomball|
|$36,256 - Grand Prairie||$36,406 - Wadsworth|
|$35,812 - Grapevine||$35,798 - Waxahachie|
|$36,083 - Groveton||$37,200 - Wharton|
|$35,564 - Haslet||$35,536 - Yoakum|
If you can complete a Train-The-Trainer course, you can become an instructor of the company that leads to job promotion and salary raise.
Having a forklift certification can definitely be your advantage for getting stable employment.
For more guidance on work employment and forklift training regulations, you can refer to these authorities for further assistance:
Texas Workforce Commission
101 E 15th St, Rm 665
Occupational Safety & Health Administration - Texas
1100 East Campbell Road
Major Cities of TX
Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, Fort Worth, El Paso, Arlington, Corpus Christi, Plano, Laredo, Lubbock, Garland, Irving, Amarillo, Grand Prairie, Brownsville, McKinney, Frisco, Pasadena, Mesquite, Killeen, McAllen, Carrollton, Midland, Waco, Denton, Abilene, Odessa, Beaumont, Round Rock, The Woodlands, Richardson, Pearland, College Station, Wichita Falls, Lewisville, Tyler, San Angelo, League City, Allen, Sugar Land, Edinburg, Mission, Longview, Bryan, Pharr, Baytown, Missouri City, Temple, Flower Mound, New Braunfels, North Richland Hills, Conroe, Victoria, Cedar Park, Harlingen, Atascocita, Mansfield, Georgetown, San Marcos, Rowlett, Pflugerville, Port Arthur, Spring, Euless, DeSoto, Grapevine, Galveston