The role being performed by forklift operators is important in making sure health and safety in the workplace are met by companies in Ipswich. In today’s businesses, especially those whose line of work primarily rely on material handling, getting the appropriate training for the fleet of forklift operators has become mandatory. Without proper licence, you and your operators are breaking the law. You could face stiff penalty and fines.
Having forklift certified operators are not just optional, it became the norm. There are many different reasons why employers hire certified forklift drivers. To name a few: they are more productive and efficient, safety conscious, professional and proficient handling work assignment.
Now, if you are individual, you should seek to have a licence before you can go out there to look for a job. Here’s what you need to know about LO and LF licence applications in Ipswich.
Classes of Forklift Licence
There are two kinds of forklift licences that you need to know before you can apply for a training:
LF HRW licence permits operator to use the forklift, but does not include order-picker type of forklift. A forklift is a powered-industrial equipment that is used to carry heavy loads with a mast and an elevating load carriage which has a pair of protruding forks attached that can be lifted above the ground.
LO HRW licence is given to operator intending to operate an order-picking type of forklift truck.
The characteristic of an order-picker truck is it has the driver’s control as the component of the load lifting platform and raises with it. Order-picker forklift are commonly use to pick and place stocks or goods at height. A narrow aisle turret trucks use in the warehouse can be classified as order-picker truck. This kind of truck can be fitted with an platform extension for use in warehouses with busy environment where primary line of business is vertical stock inventory.
How Do You Apply for Forklift Licence in Ipswich
- Enroll for a forklift training course at a school near you. List of schools in Ipswich is listed below for your reference.
- Attend the formal (classroom) education and practice test.
- Reserve for a schedule when to take the forklift written test and practical driving assessment. Let the RTO know your schedule 6 days prior to your assessment schedule.
- When successful, RTO will issue you an AS1 form from the trainer, notice of assessment, statement of attainment, personally lodge those documents together with $70 processing fee, 100-points evidence of identity and recent photo to the nearest Australia Post within 60 days from forklift training completion.
- Australia Post will process the application. Keep the payment receipt and AS1 form. These are your supporting documents that you have submitted an application for HRW licence awaiting approval.
- Workplace Health and Safety will mail you the photographic license within 2 weeks after application to the mailing address you indicated in the application form.
Registered Training Organisations in Ipswich, Qld
Here are the forklift training schools in Ipswich. If you want to get guidance on how to select the best forklift training provider, you can follow this article.
Caboolture - Sunshine Coast
Brisbane West and South
Civil Skill Assessment Service
Call: Guy Baker
0422 293 454
Pro Drive Driver Education
Unit 4 / 26 Turley St., Ipswich. Qld. 4305
(07) 3294 8558
Plant and Machinery Assessing Services
4 McAllister Road, Forest Hill QLD
07 5465 4232
Serves Toowoomba, Ipswich, Statewide
2257 Ipswich Rd., QLD.
1300 880 335
How To Get Hired as Forklift Driver
- Must have a valid forklift licence either LO or LF class
- Sufficient experience as forklift driver in warehousing environment
- Thorough understanding and management of stock inventory
- Must take employment medical assessment prior to job placement
- Must exercise safety at all times when operation is in progress. Knowledge in workplace safety and health protocols.
- Must agreed to company with policy regarding background criminal check.
- Be people-oriented by showing true interest in your co-workers, from fellow drivers to superiors.
For more guidance and information regarding wages, benefits and existing labor laws you can contact these offices for more details.
Ipswich City Council
PO Box 191, Ipswich QLD 4305, Australia
133 677 then ask for (07) 3810 6666
Level 1, 16 Peel St
South Brisbane QLD 4101
P: (07) 3844 8101
F: (07) 3844 8085
The Premier QLD
PO Box 15185
City East, Queensland 4002
P: (07) 3719 7000
F: (07) 3220 6222