Getting a certification is the very first step to take if you are planning to work as forklift operator in this state, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requires you to have certification every 3 years, failing to do so, you or your employer could be fined up to $10,000. The law is stringent for compliance because without proper license and credential to operate a forklift, you post danger to yourself and the people around you.
The OSHA stressed out, in great detail, that requirements for competency must be met by employers for their operators. The employers and operators are also guided that safety training and measures must also be in placed. Employers commonly conduct their own forklift training if they have a competent forklift advisor. On the other hand, if none are capable to conduct OSHA-required forklift training, they hire a third party to do it.
Both employers and individual (if seeking employment) must meet the present industry regulations.
OSHA 1910.178 – Powered Industrial Trucks (forklift operator training)
- General industry such as warehouse, port, etc.
OSHA 1910.179(l) - Operator Training for Powered Industrial Trucks (forklifts)
- For construction industry
How to Get a Forklift License
- Undergo Forklift Training
- You can contact OSHA and Alabama state compliant trainer or school nearest to you, such examples of schools are: Springer Equipment, Ives Training, US Forklift Certification, Forklift Systems, OSHA Training Services Inc.
- You need to complete the lecture hours and passed the written examination. Perform the actual or hands-on forklift operation, you need to satisfy your trainer of your safety handling and operational skill.
- You need to pass examination as per requirements of OSHA and ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers). You need to demonstrate your driving skills and operate more than one type of forklifts. Likewise, you need to prove that you can operate forklift truck on any road surface under different environmental conditions (such as heavy rains, snow, strong winds). You need to display your strong attitude in handling pressure and how you adjust to immediate situations.
- Upon completion, you need to present your newly acquired forklift license or certification to your employer. This is a big plus factor for you. Your employer may assign you as trainer for future training. If you are an individual, you can take the license with you when applying for a job.
- Forklift license renewal is being done every 36 months. Forklift license cost is very minimal.
READ these to help you pass the training exams:
Here are more vital topics you need to understand, READ these:
- Common Question: Workers is Injured While Driving Forklift During His Duty, Is His Employer Liable?
- Can You Still Use Your Forklift Certification When Transferring to Another Employer (in Other State)?
- How to Get Certified Driving the Forklift?
- Where to Get Certified Operating the Forklift?
- How to Choose the Best Forklift School to Get Quality Training?
- What are the Requirements You Need?
- How Much Will It Cost You?
- How Long is the Training?
How to Undergo a Forklift Training
There are many schools you can find on the internet that give forklift license online examination. Some schools you can find online provide simple and easy-to-follow lectures that cover OSHA topics and lessons, preparing you for the actual written and hands-on tests. The passing grade is minimum 70% as the industry standard.
For employers needing training for their operators, schools can accept trainees to come to their locations in Alabama. Employers can also send their internal trainers to school to take Train-the-Trainer Course so that they can be accredited to conduct such training.
The forklift license course tackles safety, operation, basic troubleshooting. Usually take 1-2 days of completion, covering classroom lectures and practical operation.
Forklift Training Schools in Alabama
Whether you are an individual or employer searching for outside source, you can obtain your forklift training in a school that offers certification course. Here are forklift certification providers in Alabama:
|Springer Equipment Company, Inc.
4263 Underwood Industrial Drive
Birmingham, AL 35210
|Shelton State Community College
9500 Old Greensboro Rd Tuscaloosa, AL 35405
|Forklift Systems Incorporated
132 West Park Dr
Birmingham, AL 35211
505 Beaver Trail
Adger AL 35006
4132 Trax Dr., Birmingham AL 35207
2360 Alton Rd
Birmingham AL 35210
Medical Forum Building
950 22nd Street North, Room 1050
Birmingham, AL 35203
(205) 731-0504 FAX
1141 Montlimar Drive, Suite 1006
Mobile Alabama 36609
(251) 441-6396 FAX
|The Lilly Company
103 Jetplex Cir,
Madison, AL 35758
|Jefferson State Community College
2601 Carson Road, Birmingham, AL
4600 Valleydale Road, Birmingham, AL
3024 6th Ave SE
Decatur, AL 35603
|Alabama Robotics Technology Park
6505 U.S. Hwy 31, Tanner, AL 35671
|Kenco Toyota-Lift Inc
9600 Madison Blvd.
|Compliance Specialists, Inc.
P.O. Box 664
McCalla, AL 35111
P: (205) 481-2121
F: (205) 481-2122
647 Murray Road
Dothan, Alabama 36303
|Alabama Self-Insured Worker's
P.O. Box 59509
Birmingham, Alabama 35259
|The Opportunity Center
6300 McClellan Blvd.
Anniston, Al 36206
Kenco Toyota-Lift Inc.
Geneva County - 123 Main Street, AL
Forklift Job Application Requirements
Forklift operation requires great skills and competency, so employer need proof that you have the license/certification and completed the OSHA-mandated training. Operator should be physically fit because forklift operation demands long hours of physical work. Minimum high school education is needed for your educational background. Organizational skills are also necessary to move objects in arrangement. Operators must communicate well with other workers on-site to avoid collisions. Operator should abide that safety is the utmost concern at work.
Other skills and qualifications may be necessary depending on the employer’s requirements for the job. It’s better to ask the job description before pursuing your application.
Salary of a Licensed Forklift Operator in Alabama
The salary of operators will depends on many factors such as years of experience, size of the company, economic stability of the state. As of March 31, 2017, in Alabama, you can receive an average salary of $31,800 per year according to Salary.Com. In Georgia, drivers have much lower wages.
This figure is an estimate and does not include given bonuses, certain perks and rendered overtime. Salary of lift truck drivers may also show discrepancy from city to city.
Here are the cities of Alabama with highest pay for forklift operators as of March 31, 2017:
$33,562 - Birmingham
$33,346 - Huntsville
$33,346 - Madison
$32,485 - Mobile
$30,876 - Prattville
$31,083 - Tanner
$32,813 - Tuscaloosa
Check this salary matrix to see operator salary of states and cities:
If you are still unemployed, and wanting to apply for a job, here the topics you need to READ:
- How to Write a Resume that Will Impress the Hiring Manager
- How to Write an Application Letter
- How to Find a Forklift Job Even Without Experience
- Is Driving Forklift the Right Job For You
- Prospecting Your New Job
For more information about employment standards, you can visit the Alabama Department of Labor at their website www.labor.alabama.gov. Their address is 649 Monroe Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36131.
Medical Forum Building
950 22nd Street North, Room 1050
Birmingham, AL 35203
Other Cities and Municipalities of AL
Hoover, Huntsville, Tuscaloosa, Hoover, Dothan, Auburn, Gadsden, Albertville, Alexander City, Alabaster, Anniston, Athens, Ashville, Atmore, Bay Minette, Bessemer, Boaz, Chelsea, Cullman, Daphne, Enterprise, Eufaula, Fairfield, Florence, Fort Payne, Gadsden, Gardendale, Greenville, Hartselle, Helena, Homewood, Hueytown, Irondale, Jacksonville, Jasper, Leeds, Lincoln, Millbrook, Monroeville, Montevallo, Mountain Brook, Muscle Shoals, Northport, Oneonta, Opelika, Ozark, Pelham, Pell City, Phenix City, Pleasant Grove, Prattville, Prichard, Rainbow City, Saraland, Scottsboro, Selma, Sheffield, Southside, Sylacauga, Talladega, Troy, Trussville, Tuskegee, Vestavia Hills, Wetumpka