Obtaining a forklift licence in Australia is different from applying a licence in US or any other countries. Though the training is identical but the issuing authority is not. In Australia it is the WorkCover of the state or territory that issued the licence, in other countries it is the training school or center.
In Australia, applying for the forklift training in registered training organizations (RTO) and applying for actual licence in WorkCover is stricter. You need to prove who your are by attaining 100 points of evidence of identity (EOI), you cannot be accepted if you present incomplete identifications.
|Western Australia||New South Whales
|Queensland||Australian Capital Territoy|
Two Classes of Forklift Licence in Australia
Driving forklifts is classified as high risk work and operator must be licenced driving it. Now if you do not know what licence you need to apply, evaluate your requirement according to these two classes.
Order-Picking Machine (TLILIC2002A LO licence) – it is given to those operator who driving an order picking forklift where the control moves together with the load carriage.
Forklift Truck (TLILIC2001A LF licence) – is given to those who have undergone training on forklift truck, or those machine equipped with mast and elevating carriage with a pair of fork arms.
Based on these classifications, you can check what you licence you need to apply.
RTO can only give training on LF or LO or both. An applicant can check with their chosen RTO what training they can provide.
You Can Obtain Your Forklift Licence, if you are:
- At legal age of 18years old and above. You can establish you age by submitting IDs listed in EOI.
- If you have completed your training course through registered training organization. You cannot be certified if you hadn’t go through RTO.
- You must be resident of Australia, for foreigner, you can show immigration papers.
- An applicant must have USI or unique student identifier number.
- English is the primary language in Australia, and you need to communicate well on this.
- Other states or territories require applicant to have driver’s licence. This is in circumstance where the forklift is to be driven in public roads.
Applying for Forklift Licence
- Enroll and take the training in certified RTOs near your location. We have provided list of RTOs in every state or territory.
- After the training course, you need to schedule your written examination and practical evaluation. The exam and evaluation must be witness by the designated trainer and in as much as possible by the assessor/representative.
- If you succeeded, you will be given with statement of attainment and notice of assessment.
- Complete the EOI, bring your EOI documents together with statement of attainment and notice of assessment, application form, fee, and submit in person to Australia Post. The post receives application in behalf of the WorkCover.
- You will receive you licence after three weeks after submitting application. You can use your notice of assessment as interim licence while doing or applying for work.
How Can I Prepare to Apply for Forklift Licence
You must ensure that you’ve complied all the requirements stated above. If not yet, I strongly recommend to take some time accomplishing those so that you can avoid delays submitting your applications. There were instances RTO cannot accept if applicant is just lacking one of the requirements.
The training is composed of two sections. The second part is the most crucial because at this part you must display your courage driving actual forklift truck. To prepare for this, If you could ask a friend or former colleague who had access to such machine, if you could ask him if you could make a driving practice. But you must make sure, you do it in open spaces where there’s no people around.
It is best recommend also to read theoretical topics about driving forklifts, basic controls and fundamentals, work procedure and planning, and other subjects that may be deemed helpful for you if you take the classroom lectures.
Forklift Driving is Considered High Risk Work
Driving forklifts is considered as high risk work, it was classified in September 2010 to protect workers from dangers involving operation of this heavy equipment. In order for you to become a licenced forklift operator, you need to apply for HRW licence. Application has to be done after taking forklift training course and skills assessment from a Registered Training Organization (RTO) and requirements have been completed.
Lodging application for HRW licence will depend where you are located in Australia. Each territory has its own governing authority in terms of enforcement of health and safety laws and licencing regulations.
- WorkSafe Victoria
Visit website: www.worksafe.vic.gov.au
- SafeWork New South Wales
Visit website: www.safework.nsw.gov.au
- Access Canberra – (ACT Government)
Visit website: www.accesscanberra.act.gov.au
Phone: 13 22 81
- WorkCover Queensland
Visit website: www.worksafe.qld.gov.au
- WorkSafe Western Autralia
Visit website: www.commerce.wa.gov.au
- SafeWork South Australia (SA)
Visit website: www.safework.sa.gov.au
- NT WorkSafe
Visit website: www.worksafe.nt.gov.au
Phone: 1300 362 128
- WorkSafe Tasmania
Enquire at Department of State Growth 1300 135 513
You may also enquire at WorkSafe at Phone: 1300 366 322 (if licence applicant is within Tasmania), or (03) 6166 4600 (outside Tasmania)
Forklift licence is a mandatory requirement for someone who is prospecting for a job in this field of material handling, good for you, there are many training locations you can find across Australia. These training providers are called RTOs.
It is also the obligation of the employer to provide their forklift operators such competence to avoid legal issues and the most suitable way of training delivery is to do it in actual work site because you wouldn’t want to halt business operation for a day especially when your business depend on them.
What’s the Demand for Licenced Forklift Operators
With the continuous growth of construction, warehousing, manufacturing and distribution industries in Australia, there’ will be bright future of licenced operators. The market is huge and will stay this way for more several years.
Payscale.com reported that licenced forklift operator in Australia can make as much as $17.20 to $22.33 hourly. Overtime pay of course surpass that.
Better news for new operator is that as long as you completed your training and in possession of a licence, you can be picked by an employer easily and can look forward for stable and secured employment.
To sum it up:
Driving forklifts is a long-term career as demand of skilled individual like you will not diminish because of the booming businesses in Australia.
The forklift licence is not just a plastic card, it is a must have if you want enter a vocation in forklift driving profession. Prospective employer will look at it when you’re applying for a job. This makes you more appropriate to occupy a job.
Make sure you specify what type of forklift you’ll be operating in order to determine what kind of forklift licence you must get in Australia.