Being licensed to drive forklift truck in Delaware can open job opportunities for you. The demand for this type of skill is abundant because businesses are in continuous need for people like you. A forklift operator in this state can receive an average of $18.00 hourly wage or $38,000 per year.
if you are seeking employment, you must attain and complete a certification course to meet OSHA requirements.
Here, we prepared this short and detailed instruction in order for you to apply for forklift license easily. This tutorial tackles compliance with requirements, steps to take and training schools that provide such certification course.
Forklift License Application
Only qualified trainer (those who took OSHA training requirement for the trainer) can implement training for forklift operators at your own on-site facility or at training provider’s facility.
- Comply the training requirements such as applicant must be 18 years old at least, should be in good shape, excellent mental awareness, no derogatory record.
- Be signed up for a forklift training schedule convenient for you. The training schools in Delaware are stated below for your reference. When choosing forklift training school, here's a guide on how to choose the right school.
- Enquire about your need so that school can offer training course right for your level of competency. You can find enrollment schedule and payment instruction at their websites. Cost and duration will depend on the type of training you will avail.
- Complete the training class which usually composed of classroom instruction and behind-the-wheel actual forklift driving.
- Pass the written test and comply with the practical training evaluation. The trainer will oversee your performance and will grade you. To pass the written test, you can read this How to Pass Forklift Written Exam guide. To pass the practical test, browse through this How to Pass the Practice Test. If you failed, you can still take until you pass. Here's an article for you read when retaking: Can You Retake the Forklift Training Test.
- Successful operator will be awarded a certificate of training and wallet-size certification card. You can present these documents when applying for a job or present to your employer proving your competency driving forklift trucks.
- Recertification is needed every three years. To renew your certification, you can read this How to Renew Your License guide.
Forklift Training Schools in Delaware
If you are an individual seeking for a course, or a pro wanting for a skill upgrade, or an employer looking for a certified trainer for your employees, you need to contact training school near you and enroll for the course.
Here are some of the schools that offer OSHA required training in DE.
- Delaware Safety Council - New Castle, DE 19720
- Delaware Technical Community College - 100 Campus Drive, Dover, Delaware 19904-383
- Eastern Lift Truck Co., Inc. – serves Southern New Jersey, New York, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Northern Virginia and Washington DC , Call: 866-980-7175
- U.S Forklift Operator Certification – serves all states, Call (866) 556-8732 (USFC)
- Smith & Solomon Training Solution –Serves NJ, Delaware, Pennsylvania, 1-800-622-0355
- CSI Material Handling - (866) 931-2410
- MHS Lift - Seaford, DE Office, 25560 Business Park Drive, Suite 1 Seaford, DE 19720, Phone: 877.647.9320
- Delaware Valley Safety Council - 856-415-7414
- Toyota Material Handling Northeast – Serves Delaware, New Jersey and Maryland, (302) 678 8310
- OSHA Training Services Inc. - Wilmington Area Office, Mellon Bank Building, Suite 900, 919 Market Street, Wilmington, Call: (302) 573-6518, 1-877-771-6742
- McCall Handling Co. - 38431 Sussex Highway, Delmar, DE 19940, (888) 870-0685, F: (302) 846-0324
A forklift operator is required to take the training on the type of forklift he operates.
The topics must emphasize general procedures of safe operation, hazards analysis and risk assessment in the workplace.
If you are an employer, you can arrange a schedule so that the training can be conducted at the workplace. This is ideal and advantageous for you.
You can also take forklift training from another state, like in the neighboring state of Maryland.
Here are the common questions when taking forklift training:
- How Much Would It Cost You to Get Forklift License?
- Can You Get a Job If You Have DUI on Your Record?
- Is Online Training the Best that Suits Your Need?
Regular OSHA Forklift Trainings
- New Operator Forklift Operation Training (total beginner)
- Train-the-Trainer Course (for trainers)
- Industrial Fork Lift Truck Training
- Counterbalanced Forklift Certification
- Narrow Aisle Forklift Operator Safety Training
- Rough Terrain Forklift Operation Training
What Can You Benefit from the Forklift Training
- Awareness about safe forklift operation
- Reduce accidents, mishaps, property damage, fines and penalties, and compensation cost of the workers
- Boost operator’s efficiency and output
- Satisfy OSHA in case inspector will visit your site.
Salary of Forklift Operator in DE
As per Salary.com's report, as of October 31, 2018, the salary of forklift operator in different cities/towns of Delaware are as follows:
|$38,485 - Bear|
|$38,564 - Bethany Beach|
|$38,499 - Delaware City|
|$38,402 - Dover|
|$38,456 - Harrington|
|$38,456 - Lewes|
|$38,373 - Middletown|
|$38,456 - Milford|
|$38,528 - New Castle|
|$38,499 - Newark|
|$38,564 - Rehoboth Beach|
|$37,663 - Seaford|
|$38,523 - Wilmington|
If you can show your maturity and experience toward your job, you can be promoted to become as a team leader or line supervisor. If you want to take another route, you can be your own company's internal trainer.
Now that you are a trained forklift operator, are you wondering if you can work in another state, company or country with your certification? Here are the answers:
- Can You Work in Other State Using Your Forklift License?
- Can You Be Employed in Other Country Using Local Country's Forklift Certification?
- Can You Get a Job in Other Company by Presenting Your Current License?
When you are really serious about getting into this career, you can scour through this to understand what really are your qualifications as the forklift operator.
For more news and federal legislation, learn more from their websites or visit their offices of the governing authorities in Delaware:
OSHA Area Office
Mellon Bank Building, Suite 900
919 Market Street
Wilmington, Delaware 19801-3319
Delaware Department of Labor
4425 North Market Street
Wilmington, DE 19802
Cities and Towns of DE
Wilmington, Dover, Newark, Pike Creek, Bear, Brookside, Hockessin, Glasgow, Claymont, North Star, Bear, Bethany Beach, Bethel, Bridgeville, Camden Wyoming, Cheswold, Claymont, Clayton, Dagsboro, Delaware City, Delmar, Dover, Dover AFB, Ellendale, Farmington, Felton, Fenwick Island, Frankford, Frederica, Georgetown, Greenwood, Harbeson, Harrington, Hartly, Hockessin, Kenton, Kirkwood, Houston, Laurel, Lewes, Lincoln, Little Creek, Magnolia, Marydel, Middletown, Milford, Millsboro, Millville, Milton, Montchanin, Nassau, New Castle, Newark, Newport, Ocean View, Odessa, Port Penn, Rehoboth Beach, Rockland, Saint Georges, Seaford, Selbyville, Smyrna, Townsend, Viola, Wilmington, Winterthur, Woodside, Yorkly