If you are a resident of Florida and intending to work as a forklift driver, your skill is in demand in this state. Many companies in the logistics, distribution, delivery, construction, and warehousing want licensed and qualified operators to drive forklifts to move materials.
In the year 1999, OSHA stated that all employers must set up a safety policy program for all forklift operators in the workplace, workers must take the classroom lecture, actual driving, and evaluation and be assessed for their competency every three years. Employers failed to comply with the OSHA requirements can result in stiff fine and penalty.
Therefore, before you get accepted for a job, you must complete a forklift certification. This basic tutorial will help you obtain your forklift license. This article will also assist you if you an employer.
Before you continue, lend me some of your time to READ these helpful articles that can assist you to get hold of your forklift license:
- How to Become Certified Operating Forklift Trucks
- Training School: Is Where You Can Go to Get Trained
- Forklift Training School: 8 Important Tips to Help You Choose Where to Get Enrolled
- What are the Requirements Operators Must Obtained Before Enrolling in a Training Course
- How Much is the Forklift License
- How Long Does It Take to Complete the Forklift Training Course
- How to Renew the Forklift License & When to Get Recertified
- Know More About Online Certification
- When to Take Forklift Refresher Training
- Your Job Descriptions and Responsibilities as Forklift Operator
If you are an employer who is seeking certification for your workers, CHECK these helpful topics to guide you train your drivers:
- Will the Employer Train the Operators to Get Certified
- How to Save Money Training the Forklift Operators
- Why You Need to Provide Forklift Operator Safety Training
- What The Training Should Composed Of To Be OSHA Compliant
Applying for forklift license
- First and foremost, you must comply with the training requirements. If you opted to take the course through training centers, the centers set forth prerequisites you need to attain before getting accepted as a trainee. You must be above 18 years old, must have high school diploma, able to write and speak English, and physically fit is the minimum requirements, you can check with them their requirements.
- If you are an individual, you may take forklift licensing course offered by training schools. These schools employ qualified trainers and equipped with facilities capable to certify a number of operators at once. List of training schools throughout Florida is below, for your information.
If you are employed, your employer can set up a training schedule, usually, they hire a qualified trainer from the school to give the course on-site. In this way, the trainer can tailor the course program to be given in to tackle the issues about workplace condition, types of industrial forklifts being used, the skill level of operators and behavior of the workers.
- As required by OSHA, the course should compose of formal theory class, practical training, and evaluation.
- Regardless how the applicant takes the licensing course, he must undergo the certification test, both in written exam and hands-on evaluation.
- After passing the test, completion of practical training and performance evaluation, your trainer will give you license card and certificate of training which is valid for three years. This license is nationally recognized.
- The operator must take recertification and reassessment at least once every three years.
Forklift Training Schools in Florida
|Sun Coast Safety Council
1145 Court Street, Clearwater, FL 33756
|American Forklift Training
5387 LB McLeod Road Orlando, FL
|McFatter Technical College
6500 Nova Dr, Davie, FL
|OIC of South Florida
3407 NW 9th Ave #100, Oakland Park, FL 33309
|ITC Industrial Training Center
4281 NW 167th St, Miami Gardens, FL 33055
|Southern States Toyota Lift
Offices in Tampa, Winter Haven, Orlando, Ocala and Jacksonville
|American Forklift Rental
387 LB McLeod Road Orlando, FL 32811
|McKinnon Equipment & Services
6907 Broadway Avenue, Jacksonville, FL
1915 N. Orange Blossom Trail, Orlando, FL
3907 W. Martin Luther King Blvd., Tampa, Florida 33614
Tel. (813) 877-4500
Fax (813) 871-6250
|SWS Environmental Services
1619 Moylan Rd. Panama City Beach, FL
|Andersen Material Handling
1360 S.W. 32nd Way, Deerfield Beach, FL
2219 W. Memorial Blvd., Lakeland, FL
|Crane Inspection & Certification Bureau
11112 Boggy Creek Drive, Orlando, Florida 32824
|Ring Power Lift Trucks
Several office locations in Florida
|Florida Training Academy
103 Century 21 Drive, Suite 102 Jacksonville, Florida 32216
|Clark The Forklift
|Forklift Training Shop
7975 West 20th Avenue, Hialeah, FL 33014
|Central Florida Safety Training, LLC.
P.O. Box 90094 Lakeland, FL 33804
p: (863) 859-2018
Toll: (800) 211-5599
|Safety Council of Palm Beach County, Inc.
4152 West Blue Heron Blvd Suite 110
Riviera Beach, FL 33404
(561) 845-8233 / (800) 640-2415
|Forklift Training Systems
Forklift Operator Retraining
OSHA standards require operators to take a retraining course in these circumstances:
- When the operator’s license or certification has expired, recertification is required as mandated by OSHA.
- When newly hired operators are unfamiliar with the type of forklift being used in the workplace, he must be trained to operate the forklift.
- Employers who are in constant monitoring of the performance of the operators must retrain their workers when they perform poorly in a regular evaluation.
- Operators involved in workplace accidents or engaged in the unsafe use of the forklift must likewise be retrained.
The trainer must document the retraining process by having an attendance sheet, taking of pictures of retraining process, presentation of the specific program course, giving a new certificate of training and other ways necessary to prove that recertification has been done. The documentation is vital in case OSHA inspector requires for it.
Salary of a Licensed Forklift Operator
A certified forklift operator employed in Florida can receive an hourly wage of $16.00 that means an annual salary of $33,000 in average.
As of May 30, 2018, according to Salary.com, here are the cities and towns of this state with high paying wages:
|Cape Coral||$33,378||Pembroke Pines||$34,304|
|Daytona Beach||$31,988||Pompano Beach||$34,874|
|Fort Lauderdale||$34,874||Port Saint Lucie||$33,520|
|Fort Myers||$33,378||Saint Petersburg||$33,841|
|Melbourne||$32,131||West Palm Beach||$35,016|
The demand for forklift operator never diminishes in this state and will continue to rise because of the introduction of new businesses. In Georgia, the closest state, operator wage is lower.
If you searching for a job as a forklift operator. these articles can assist you:
- How to Search for Job as Forklift Operator with No Prior Experience
- Is Driving Forklifts the Right Job For Your
- How to Turn Your Job Into a Lifetime Career
- When to Shift to Another Job as Forklift Driver
- What You Need to Know When Choosing Your Career
- When to Shift to a New Job or Employer
In case you need more information about forklift licensing, wages and benefits, and implemented legislation, visit governing bodies:
USF Safety Florida
13201 Bruce B. Downs Blvd., MDC 56,
Tampa, FL 33612
Florida Agency for Workforce Innovation
(850) 245-7105 (tel)
(850) 921-3223 (fax)
Department of Economic Opportunity
107 East Madison Street Caldwell Building Tallahassee, Florida 32399-4120
Other Cities and Towns of Fl
Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando, St. Petersburg, Hialeah, Tallahassee, Port St. Lucie, Fort Lauderdale, Cape Coral, Altamonte Springs, Apopka City, Aventura, Bayonet Point, Boca Raton, Bonita Springs, Boynton Beach, Bradenton, Brandon, Brent, Buenaventura Lakes, Cape Coral, Carrollwood, Clearwater, Coconut Creek, Cooper City, Coral Gables, Coral Springs, Coral Terrace, Country Club, Crestview, Cutler Bay, Dania Beach, Davie Town,Daytona Beach, DeBary City, Deerfield Beach, DeLand City, Delray Beach, Deltona City, Doral City, Dunedin City, East Lake, Ferry Pass, Fleming Island, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Fort Pierce, Fort Walton Beach, Fountainebleau, Four Corners, Fruit Cove, Gainesville, Golden Gate, Golden Glades, Greenacres, Haines City, Hallandale Beach, Hialeah, Hollywood, Homestead, Immokalee, Jacksonville, Jacksonville Beach, Jupiter Town, Kendale Lakes, Kendall, Kendall West, Keystone, Key West, Kissimmee, Lakeland, Lake Magdalene, Lakeside, Lake Worth, Land O' Lakes, LargoCity, Lauderdale Lakes, Lauderhill, Leesburg, Lehigh Acres, Leisure City, Lynn Haven, MargateCity, Meadow Woods, Melbourne, Merritt Island, Miami City, Miami Beach, Miami Gardens, Miami Lakes, Miramar City, Naples City, Navarre, New Smyrna Beach, Northdale, North Fort Myers, North Lauderdale, North Miami, North Miami Beach, North Port, Oakland Park, Oakleaf Plantation, Oak Ridge, Ocala City, Ocoee City, Orlando City, Ormond Beach, Oviedo City, Palm Bay, Palm Beach Gardens, Palm City, Palm Coast, Palmetto Bay, Palm Harbor, Palm River-Clair Mel, Palm Springs, Palm Valley, Panama City, Parkland, Pembroke Pines, Pensacola, Pine Hills, Pinellas Park, Plantation, Plant City, Poinciana, Pompano Beach, Port Charlotte, Port Orange, Port St. Lucie, Richmond West, Riviera Beach, Sanford City, Sarasota, South Miami Heights, Spring Hill, St. Cloud, St. Petersburg, Sunrise City, Sweetwater, Tallahassee, Tamarac, Tamiami, Tampa City, Tarpon Springs, Temple Terrace, The Acreage, The Hammocks, The Villages, Titusville, Town 'n' Country, Orange County, Hillsborough, University Park, Valrico, Wellington, Wesley Chapel, Westchester, West Little River, Weston City, West Palm Beach, Winter Garden, Winter Haven, Winter Park, Winter Springs, Wright