In the state of Iowa, if you want to become a forklift operator, you must be licensed first. A licensed operator can demand more salary than those uncertified. The employer can save money and effort hiring certified drivers that means you will become more attractive and have a greater chance of getting a job offer.
Forklift certification both benefits the employee and employer. A certified employee works better and commits less mistake boosting his efficiency and minimizing the cost associated with production. A licensed operator is usually productive and can complete the job at a lesser time without posing risk to other people or merchandise.
If you are one of the individuals who want to enter this career, you have to go through the formal training. It is just a short course that could take up a day or two. The duration or length will depend on the type of forklift you want to operate, your skill level and the number of trainees in a class. When you completed the training, you will be ready to work in many industries like manufacturing, warehousing, and logistics.
If you do not how the process of certification, here’s a readied step by step tutorial to walk you through.
Getting Your Forklift License
- Determine what forklift certification suits your requirement. There are many types of forklifts and certification must be specific to the type of forklift you will be operating.
- Find a training school or provider that offer training course which meets OSHA standards. Enroll for the course.
- To ensure that you have the proper training, you must take the formal and practical training. The formal training encompasses classroom lectures and instruction. At the end of this part, you must take an examination. To pass the tests, you can browse these topics: how to pass the written exam and pass the practical test.
- You must be competent to drive the forklift and it will be taught during the practical training. You must complete a set of tasks the trainer will give to you. Your performance will be assessed likewise by the trainer.
- If you pass both the practical and formal training, you will receive a certificate of completion and wallet size license card. If you failed the tests, you can retake it. Here's how to Retake to Pass the Tests.
- The certification or license is only valid for three years. To renew it, you can READ this topic: How to Renew Your Forklift Certification?
Here are the important topics that you help you in your career:
- How to Find a Forklift Job Even Without Experience?
- How to Choose a Career?
- Why You Should and Shouldn't Shift to a New Job?
- How to Turn Your Forklift Operator Job Into a Lifetime Career?
Forklift Training Schools and Centers in Iowa
Below are the forklift training providers in Iowa, before you talk to them, I would like to read this article: How to Choose the Best Forklift Training School.
- Eastern Iowa Community College - Davenport, IA 52801
- MH Equipment - 1711 Second Avenue, Des Moine, has other locations in Iowa
- Kirkwood Community College - 6301 Kirkwood Blvd SW, Cedar Rapids, IA, +1 319-398-5411
- Southeastern Community College - 1500 W Agency Rd, West Burlington, +1 319-752-2731
- University of Northern Iowa - 1227 W 27th St, Cedar Falls, +1 319-273-2311
- Herculift - Des Moines, IA 50313, +1 515-964-9273
- Hawkeye Community College - 844 W 4th St, Waterloo, +1 319-296-2320
- Iowa State University - 2408 Wanda Daley Drive, Ames, (515) 294-5359
- US Forklift Operator Certification - (866) 556-USFC (8732)
- Contractor Sales & Service - 2020 NE Broadway Ave. Des Moines, 844-CSS-BOOM, 515-266-4449
- Torrance - 1495 Hawkeye Dr., Hiawatha, 319-247-6039
- Iowa Valley Community College District - 3702 S. Center Street, Marshalltown, 641-752-4645
Requirements To Become a Licensed Forklift Operator
- High school diploma or GED certificate
- Must not be a minor, 18 is the legal age
- You must have a forklift license before operating any machine
- Forklift operation requires long hours of work, the operator must be fit and in good health.
- Must have organizational skill to correctly monitor stocks and materials.
- Must be able to stand the high temperature inside the warehouse.
Salary of a Licensed Forklift Operator
The hourly wage a certified forklift operator in Iowa is $16.00, an operator can make average yearly earnings of $32,000. In Illinois, the hourly wage is a higher.
According to the latest report (May 30, 2018) of Salary.com, below are the cities and towns of Iowa that offer the high salary for forklift drivers:
|West Des Moines||$34,411|
The demand for forklift operator continuous to rise. An employer can pay more depending on the experience and knowledge level of the operator. Likewise, you have certifications to drive many types of machines, you can ask for higher salary.
If you want to work for other company, country or state, READ these topics to help you:
- Can You Use Your Forklift Certification to Work in Other Company?
- Can You Get Employed in Other State Using Your Current Certificate?
- Can You Work in Other Country Using Your Current License?
If you have issues you want to clarify regarding occupational safety and health, wage and benefits, you can nearest offices about your concerns:
Iowa Division of Labor
1000 East Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50319-0209
Iowa Occupational Safety and Health Agency
Cities and Towns of IA
Adel, Albia, Algona, Allison, Anamosa, Atlantic, Audubon, Bedford, Bloomfield, Boone, Burlington, Carroll, Cedar Rapids, Centerville, Chariton, Charles City, Cherokee, Clarinda, Clarion, Clinton, Corning, Corydon, Council Bluffs, Cresco, Creston, Dakota City, Davenport, Decorah, Denison, Dubuque, Dyersville, Eagle Grove, Eldora, Eldridge, Elkader, Emmetsburg, Estherville, Evansdale, Fairfax, Fairfield, Forest City, Fort Dodge, Fort Madison, Garner, Glenwood, Greenfield, Grinnell, Gruver, Grundy Center, Guthrie Center, Hampton, Harlan, Hawarden, Hiawatha, Hudson, Humboldt, Huxley, Ida Grove, Independence, Indianola, Iowa City, Iowa Falls, Jefferson, Johnston, Kalona, Keokuk, Knoxville, La Porte City, Lake Mills, Lamoni, Le Claire, Le Mars, Leon, Lisbon, Logan, Lone Tree, Madrid, Manchester, Maquoketa, Marengo, Marion, Marshalltown, Mason City, Milford, Missouri Valley, Mitchellville, Montezuma, Monticello, Mount Ayr, Mount Pleasant, Mount Vernon, Muscatine, New Hampton, Nevada, Newton, North Liberty, Northwood, Norwalk, Oelwein, Ogden, Onawa, Orange City, Osage, Osceola, Oskaloosa, Ottumwa, Pella, Perry, Pleasant Hill, Pocahontas, Polk City, Postville, Primghar, Red Oak, Robins, Rock Rapids, Rock Valley, Rockwell City, Sac City, Sergeant Bluff, Sheldon, Shenandoah, Sibley, Sidney, Sigourney, Sioux City, Spencer, Spirit Lake, Storm Lake, Story City, Sumner, Tama, Tipton, Toledo, Traer, Urbandale, Vinton, Walford, Wapello, Washington, Waterloo, Waukon, Waverly, Webster City, Wellman, West Des Moines, West Liberty, West Union, Williamsburg, Windsor Heights, Woodbine