In the state of Iowa, if you want to become a forklift operator, you must be licensed first. Licensed operator can demand more salary than those uncertified. The employer can save money and effort hiring certified drivers that means you will become more attractive and have a greater chance of getting a job offer.
If you do not how the process of certification, here’s a readied step by step tutorial to walk you through.
Obtaining Your Forklift License
- Determine what forklift certification suits your requirement. There many types of machines and certification must be specific to the type of machine you will be operating.
- Find a training school or provider that offer training course which meet OSHA standards. Enroll for the course.
- To ensure that you have the proper training, you must take the formal and practical training. The formal training encompasses classroom lectures and instruction. At the end of this part, you must take an examination.
- You must be competent to drive the forklift and it will be taught during the practical training. You must complete a set of tasks the trainer will give to you. Your performance will be assessed likewise by the trainer.
- If you pass both the practical and formal training, you will receive certificate of completion and wallet size license card.
- The certification or license is only valid for three years.
Forklift Training Colleges and Centers in Iowa
- Eastern Iowa Community College - Davenport, IA 52801
- MH Equipment - 1711 Second Avenue, Des Moine, has other locations in Iowa
- Kirkwood Community College - 6301 Kirkwood Blvd SW, Cedar Rapids, IA, +1 319-398-5411
- Southeastern Community College - 1500 W Agency Rd, West Burlington, +1 319-752-2731
- University of Northern Iowa - 1227 W 27th St, Cedar Falls, +1 319-273-2311
- Herculift - Des Moines, IA 50313, +1 515-964-9273
- Hawkeye Community College - 844 W 4th St, Waterloo, +1 319-296-2320
- Iowa State University - 2408 Wanda Daley Drive, Ames, (515) 294-5359
- US Forklift Operator Certification - (866) 556-USFC (8732)
- Contractor Sales & Service - 2020 NE Broadway Ave. Des Moines, 844-CSS-BOOM, 515-266-4449
- Torrance - 1495 Hawkeye Dr., Hiawatha, 319-247-6039
- Iowa Valley Community College District - 3702 S. Center Street, Marshalltown, 641-752-4645
Requirements To Become a Licensed Forklift Operator
- High school diploma or GED certificate
- Must not be a minor, 18 is the legal age
- You must have a forklift license before operating any machine
- Forklift operation requires long hours of work, operator must be fit and in good health.
- No criminal record and history of substance abuse. The operator must present a certification from criminal background check company and must take drug screening to present to the employer.
- Must have organizational skill to correctly monitor stocks and materials.
- Must be able to stand the high temperature inside warehouse.
Salary of a Licensed Forklift Operator
The hourly wage a certified forklift operator in Iowa is $14.95, an operator can make yearly earnings of $31,110. In Illinois, the hourly wage is a higher.
The demand of forklift operator continuous to rise, which mean employer can pay more depending on the experience and knowledge level of the operator. Likewise, you have certifications to drive many types of machines, you can ask for higher salary.
If you matters you want to clarify regarding occupational safety and health, wage and benefits, you can nearest offices about your concerns:
Iowa Division of Labor
1000 East Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50319-0209
Iowa Occupational Safety and Health Agency
Cities and Towns of IA
Adel, Albia, Algona, Allison, Anamosa, Atlantic, Audubon, Bedford, Bloomfield, Boone, Burlington, Carroll, Cedar Rapids, Centerville, Chariton, Charles City, Cherokee, Clarinda, Clarion, Clinton, Corning, Corydon, Council Bluffs, Cresco, Creston, Dakota City, Davenport, Decorah, Denison, Dubuque, Dyersville, Eagle Grove, Eldora, Eldridge, Elkader, Emmetsburg, Estherville, Evansdale, Fairfax, Fairfield, Forest City, Fort Dodge, Fort Madison, Garner, Glenwood, Greenfield, Grinnell, Gruver, Grundy Center, Guthrie Center, Hampton, Harlan, Hawarden, Hiawatha, Hudson, Humboldt, Huxley, Ida Grove, Independence, Indianola, Iowa City, Iowa Falls, Jefferson, Johnston, Kalona, Keokuk, Knoxville, La Porte City, Lake Mills, Lamoni, Le Claire, Le Mars, Leon, Lisbon, Logan, Lone Tree, Madrid, Manchester, Maquoketa, Marengo, Marion, Marshalltown, Mason City, Milford, Missouri Valley, Mitchellville, Montezuma, Monticello, Mount Ayr, Mount Pleasant, Mount Vernon, Muscatine, New Hampton, Nevada, Newton, North Liberty, Northwood, Norwalk, Oelwein, Ogden, Onawa, Orange City, Osage, Osceola, Oskaloosa, Ottumwa, Pella, Perry, Pleasant Hill, Pocahontas, Polk City, Postville, Primghar, Red Oak, Robins, Rock Rapids, Rock Valley, Rockwell City, Sac City, Sergeant Bluff, Sheldon, Shenandoah, Sibley, Sidney, Sigourney, Sioux City, Spencer, Spirit Lake, Storm Lake, Story City, Sumner, Tama, Tipton, Toledo, Traer, Urbandale, Vinton, Walford, Wapello, Washington, Waterloo, Waukon, Waverly, Webster City, Wellman, West Des Moines, West Liberty, West Union, Williamsburg, Windsor Heights, Woodbine,