In North Carolina, forklift operators are very much needed in factories and manufacturing businesses. Those companies are constantly seeking individuals who are trained to drive forklift trucks. But before you get hired, you need to have a forklift license.
Having a forklift license means you can easily apply and accepted for the job. Your license is your ticket for better employment opportunities. Now, if you are interested seeking employment in this field, here, we’ve prepared this tutorial so you can simply understand the processes of applying for the license.
Applying for Forklift License? Follow These Steps
- We presented you a list (below) of schools that offer forklift certification. Choose one of the schools to enroll.
- The forklift training must be exact to the kind (and even brand) of forklift truck you are intending to operate. You must tell them about your intention when enrolling for the certification course.
- When enrolled, the participants will attend the 6-hour classroom lectures, where he will learn about basic controls of the machine, driving fundamentals, OSHA regulations, safety procedures, accident reporting, danger analysis, machine examination, accident video presentation, and some other topics. This part of the course takes at least 4 hours to complete.
- At the end, participants will be subjected to a written exam to test whether they learned from the lectures. The passing rate of the test is 75% but may differ depending on the schools.
- When successfully passed, participants will go through the actual forklift truck driving/operation. The operation will be done at the warehouse-like environment with people around to pretend actual workplace. Trainees will be given set of assignments to accomplish. Examiner will supervise your operation and will make the grading based on your performance.
- When finished, the examiner will make recommendations. Only those successful applicants will be given a certificate of training completion and forklift license.
- The forklift license has a validity of three years, in which after that operator must take a refresher course for its renewal.
If you are an operator who is seeking to get certification, READ these:
- How to Become Certified Driving Forklifts
- Where Can You Go To Get a Forklift License
- What are the Requirements You Need For Taking the Training
- How Much Does It Cost You to Get Forklift Training
- How Long Does It Take You to Complete the Training Course
- Another Alternative: Online Forklift Training - Is It Suitable for You
If you are an employer, CHECK these important subjects:
- Appoint Someone as Forklift Trainer to Deliver the Training to Save Money
- Is it Your Responsibility to Train the Workers
- What Should the Training Be Composed of to Comply with OSHA
- A worker is Injured at Work, Are You Liable?
- How to Renew Forklift License for Your Workers
Forklift Training Schools in NC
Here are the schools that provide forklift training in the state of North Carolina. Contact one of the schools and ask about your requirements and set an enrollment.
- North Carolina Statewide Safety Conference - Phone: 919-210-7394
- Carolina Forklift Training and Supply - Serving Columbia, Florence, and Rock Hill, SC; and in Charlotte, Gastonia and nearby areas of Mecklenberg County, Call 704-621-0277
- Atlantic Forklift Services - 5509 David Cox Road, Charlotte, NC (704) 842-3242.
- Tri Lift NC, Inc. – 2905 Manufacturers Rd, Greensboro, Phone: +1 336-691-1511
- Carolina Industrial Trucks. - 11112 Carpet Street, Charlotte, (800) 767-7388
- Vesco Toyota Lift - 525 17th St NW, Hickory, Phone: (828) 322-2105
- Crown Lift Trucks - 8220 Tyner Road, Colfax, NC 27235, Fax: 336-291-2501
- Crews Crane Training International - 2021 Arden Place, High Point, (336) 337-1043
- Atlantic Coast Toyota Lift - 10925 Metromont Pkwy, Charlotte, NC 28269, Ph: 704-323-7934, Fax: 336-397-5199
- Paragon Safety Group - 829 Purser Drive, Suite A, Raleigh, North Carolina 27603, P 1-888-865-2516|P 919-329-0006
- H & E Equipment Services - 10710 Nations Ford Rd, Charlotte, NC 28273, Toll Free: 866-GO-RENTAL, Local: 704-504-2870
- Gregory Poole - 400 Gregory Poole Lane, Mebane, North Carolina 27302, (919) 568-7500
- Paragon Safety Group Inc. - 829 Purser Drive, Raleigh, 1-888-865-2516, 919-329-0006
- Goodwill – Southern Piedmont - 5301 Wilkinson Boulevard, Charlotte, Phone: 704-372-3434
- Randolph Community College - 629 Industrial Park Avenue, Asheboro, 336-633-0268
- Safe Steps Training, L.L.C - 1300 Peace Rd, New Bern, NC 28560, Phone: (252) 229-5500, (252) 474-4626
- Raymond Carolina Handling - 4835 Sirona Dr Ste 100, Charlotte, NC 28273, 704-357-6273
- LiftOne - 440 E. Westinghouse Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28273, (704) 588-1300
- WestLift - Phone: 919-242-4379, serving Goldsboro, Wilson, Greenville and Eastern NC
- Mid-State Forklift Inc - 714 E Fairfield Rd, High Point, NC, Phone: +1 336-861-1686
- Safety and Health Council of North Carolina - 2709 Water Ridge Parkway, Suite 120, Charlotte (P: 704.644.4200); 739 National Drive - Suite 125, Raleigh (P: 919.719.9800)
- City of Hendersonville, NC - 160 Sixth Avenue E, Hendersonville, 828.697.3000
- AB Tech Community College - 340 Victoria Rd, Asheville, NC 28801, Phone: +1 828-398-7900
- Gaston College - 511 S. Aspen Street, Lincolnton, Phone 704.748.5200
- Guilford Technical Community College - 601 E Main St, Jamestown, Phone: +1 336-334-4822
- Wilson Community College - 902 Herring Ave E, Wilson, Phone: +1 252-291-1195
- University of North Carolina Wilmington - 601 S College Rd, Wilmington, NC 28403, Phone: (910)962.3000
- The College of Davidson and Davie Counties – (Davidson Campus) 336-249-8186 ext. 6740
- Beaufort County Community College - 5337 US HWY 264 East, Washington, (252) 946-6194
The training school may charge you an amount ranging from $100 to $250 depending on the duration and type of the course.
If you want to know how to enroll in a training school to get quality training, READ this:
Forklift Training Requirements
- In North Carolina, you need to have a driver’s license in order to get accepted for the training and in the actual job.
- You must not be underage. !8 is the legal age. OSHA reported that those underage individuals are the common causes of accidents.
- No alcohol or drug addiction history or dependent on any prohibited drugs. Must show proof that drug being take is required for treat illness.
- It is much appropriate if the trainee can present a report of his background check. If not, the company can do the checking prior to getting accepted.
- Must be dressed in proper personal protective equipment like steel-toe shoes, vest, pants, hard hat, long-sleeve, etc. when attending the training especially during the practical forklift operation.
Some of the above-stated documentary requirements will also be applicable when applying for the job. It is recommended to accomplish these during the early stage of the training requirements submission.
Licensing for Experienced Forklift Operators
Above, we stated that procedure on how to apply for the license when you’re a beginner. Here in this part, we will give you insights how to get re-certified if you’re an experienced and presently employed.
As per OSHA ruling, employers are the sole accountable for the training of the forklift operators. And it can be done in two ways:
The employer can arrange a schedule with the training school and send the operators away to the location. Obviously, the downside of this is that production may stop.
The second option is for the employer to hire a trainer and conduct the training on-site. This method is the most effective one because the examiner can modify the certification programs to match with the warehouse environment and types of forklift trucks being used on-site.
Salary of Forklift Operator in NC
In North Carolina, a certified forklift operator can earn as much as $35,493 per year on average. Depending on know-how and familiarity, the employer can give a higher wage. in South Carolina, the salary is a bit lower.
These cities and towns of NC have the highest salary according to Salary.Com's March 26, 2020 report:
|$36,494 - Alexis||$36,758 - Jackson|
|$35,659 - Ansonville||$36,494 - Kings Mountain|
|$35,433 - Ayden||$36,390 - Lincolnton|
|$35,590 - Belews Creek||$36,494 - Lowell|
|$36,494 - Belmont||$36,073 - Maiden|
|$36,494 - Bessemer City||$36,494 - Mc Adenville|
|$36,445 - Charlotte||$36,271 - Midland|
|$36,407 - Cherryville||$36,499 - Mineral Springs|
|$36,226 - Connellys Springs||$36,494 - Mount Holly|
|$36,323 - Cornelius||$36,445 - Newell|
|$36,494 - Cramerton||$36,445 - Paw Creek|
|$36,424 - Crouse||$36,758 - Pleasant Hill|
|$36,494 - Dallas||$36,067 - Polkton|
|$36,288 - Davidson||$36,233 - Rhodhiss|
|$36,233 - Drexel||$36,233 - Rutherford College|
|$36,758 - Garysburg||$36,096 - Scotland Neck|
|$36,494 - Gastonia||$36,494 - Stanley|
|$36,233 - Granite Falls||$36,096 - Tillery|
|$36,372 - Grover||$36,233 - Valdese|
|$36,410 - Harrisburg||$36,390 - Waco|
|$36,758 - Henrico||$36,516 - Waxhaw|
|$36,494 - High Shoals||$36,758 - Weldon|
If you want to know the salary of forklift operator by state and city, READ this:
There will no shortage of forklift job in this state, as the manufacturing businesses and factories are in continuous searching for a skilled individual to man forklift trucks to boost production.
If you need further information about licensing requirements and procedure or you have questions related to occupational safety and health standards, you may contact this agency:
North Carolina Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Division
1101 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1101
Cities and Towns of NC
Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Durham, Fayetteville, Cary, Wilmington, High Point, Greenville, Asheville, Concord, Gastonia, Jacksonville, Rocky Mount, Chapel Hill, Burlington, Wilson, Huntersville, Kannapolis, Hickory, Apex, Goldsboro, Salisbury, Indian Trail, Monroe, Mooresville, Wake Forest, New Bern, Sanford, Matthews, Thomasville, Garner, Asheboro, Cornelius, Holly Springs, Statesville, Kernersville, Mint Hill, Kinston, Lumberton, Havelock, Shelby, Carrboro, Lexington, Elizabeth City, Clemmons, Morrisville, Lenoir, Fuquay-Varina, Boone, Morganton, Clayton, Laurinburg, Albemarle, Roanoke Rapids, Eden, Henderson, Hope Mills, Reidsville, Graham, Stallings, Mount Holly, Leland, Hendersonville, Pinehurst, Newton, Lewisville, Southern Pines, Spring Lake, Harrisburg, Archdale, Tarboro, Knightdale, Mebane, Smithfield, Davidson, Lincolnton, Mount Airy, Kings Mountain, Summerfield, Belmont, Waynesville, Waxhaw, Rockingham, Weddington, Elon, Winterville, Dunn, Morehead City, Clinton, Oxford, Roxboro, Conover, Siler City, Black Mountain, Marion, Brevard, Butner, Pineville, Forest City, Wesley Chapel, Fletcher, Mills River