New York is one of the states that provide great employment opportunities and career advancement for operators with forklift license. In order for you to get the job you want you need to certified first driving forklift. This is the most important part of applying. OSHA stipulated that only licensed operators can operate forklift trucks otherwise, employer and operator alike can face criminal charges and hefty fines when found guilty.
If you’re a novice or a beginner, who are preparing to take the training, looking for ways where to start can be a daunting task. That’s why we prepared this easy-to-follow steps in order to obtain the forklift license conveniently:
How to Get a Forklift license
Here are the steps to obtain your license:
- Find an instructor or trade school where you can enroll for a comprehensive training course for new forklift operators. List of trade schools in New York is below for your reference.
- To become a certified operator, you should attend the classroom training. During the lecture, participants will learn safety regulations, fundamentals and principals driving forklifts, safe loading/unloading practice, accident prevention, hazard analysis and accident reporting.
- The written exam is administered after the classroom training. Participants are expected to pass the 75% rating in order qualify. The passing rate may vary depending on the school you chose.
- If you passed the test, the practical forklift operation follows. At this stage, participants must demonstrate actual driving of the machine. The trainees must prove to the instructor their competency and proper use of the forklift. They given sets of assignments to accomplish like correct use forklift controls, driving the machine in uneven road surface, lifting of materials from height, loading and unloading of materials, transfer from one place to the next, reversing and maneuvering, safe work practices, hazard analysis when performing work, near miss prevention, and many other subjects that can be helpful.
- Once the trainees completed the training program and passed the written test and actual evaluation, the instructor will give the recommendation to deem you certified. You will be issued with a certificate of training completion and forklift license card. The license is valid for three years.
Forklift licensing procedure can be done at the workplace, when insisted by the employer. Employer must prepare a meeting venue that can accommodate the number of participants. This method of training delivery is the most helpful for operators because they can be trained based on the condition of the workplace they’re working and type of forklift they’re using.
Employers with a small fleet of operators and not having such facility for the training, can send their operators at the trade school.
When choosing for a training course, you must be specific to the type of forklift you intend to drive because training program should be matched with that forklift truck
But you continue on, I would like to you to READ these imporant subjects:
- How to Become Certified Driving Forklifts
- Where Can You Go To Get Forklift License
- What are the Requirements You Need Before Taking the Training
- How Much Does It Cost You to Get Forklift Training
- How Long Does It Take You to Complete the Training Course
- Another Alternative: Online Forklift Training - Is It Suitable to You
If you are an employer who is seeking forklift training for your operators, READ these:
- Appoint Someone as Forklift Trainer to Deliver the Training to Save Money
- Is it Your Responsibility to Train the Workers
- What Should the Training Be Composed of to Comply with OSHA
- Worker is Injured at Work, Are You Liable?
- How to Renew Forklift License for Your Workers
Forklift Training Schools in New York
- Ferrari Driving School - Long Island City, Queens 3528 19th Ave., Btwn 31st & 37th Streets, Astoria, New York 11105, P:718-278-6679
- Eastern Lift Truck Co., Inc. - 4606 3rd Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11220, toll: (866) 980-7175
- Able Safety Consulting - 124 Front St #207, Massapequa Park, NY 11762, Phone: +1 888-926-4727
- Commercial Driver Training, Inc. - 600 Patton Avenue West Babylon, NY 11704, +1 631-249-1330
- Buffalo Materials Handling - 125 Taylor Dr, Depew, Phone: +1 716-894-6370
- C&C Lift Truck - 866-770-LIFT (5438)
- JIT Toyota Lift - 52 S Pearl St, PO Box 613, Frewsburg, Telephone: 716-569-2410
- Rentalift - 1-800-955-LIFT (5438)
- Buffalo Heavy Equipment Operator Training - 976 Kenmore Ave, Buffalo, Phone: +1 716-837-2200
- Northeastern Retail Lumber Association - 585 North Greenbush Road, Rensselaer, New York 12144, P:+1 518-286-1010
- Commercial Driver Training - 600 Patton Avenue, West Babylon, Contact: +1 631-249-1330
- SkyWorks Equipment Rental - 100 Thielman Drive, Buffalo, New York 14206, Phone: 716-822-5438
- Insley-McEntee Equipment Co., Inc. - 1112 Emerson Street, Rochester, Tel: +1 585-458-4660
- Blakley Equipment - 491 E Third Street, Mount Vernon, NY 10553, Phone: +1 914-664-5500
- EZ Wheels Driving School - 888-562-0220
- Capitaland Material Handling - 420 Western Turnpike, Altamont, Tel: +1 518-357-0590
- Material Handling Products Corp. - 6601 Joy Drive Syracuse, Phone: (866) 980-4788
- Thompson and Johnson Equipment Co., Inc. - 15 Corporate Drive, Binghamton, Phone: 607-772-0825
- Insley-McEntee Equipment Company, Inc. - 1112 Emerson St. Rochester, Toll: 888.326.4409, Local: 585.458.4660
- Summit Handling Systems - NYC - Long Island, Tel: 631-236-4466
- Pine Bush Equipment Co., Inc. - 97 Route 302, Pine Bush, Telephone: (845) 744-2006
- Centre for Employment Opportunities - 41 State St., Suite 408, Albany, Tel: 518 426 0390
- Blakley Equipment - 491 E. Third Street, Mount Vernon, Phone:914-664-5500
- SwiftLift - Victor, NY, Toll: 888-292-3101
- Rochester Rehabilitation - Contact 585.271.1894, 1000 Elmwood Ave., Rochester, NY 14620
- NY Conn Corporation - Brewster, NY (845) 259-0240
- NOTO Industrial - T: 631 736-7600
- General Forklift Company - 2589 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island, Ph: 718.816.5000
- Capital Region BOCES - 900 Watervliet-Shaker Road, Albany, Ph:(518) 862-4900
- Infiniti Handling System Inc - 603 Chestnut Street, Garden City, NY, Ph: (516) 280-7589
Now, if you ask how to get enrolled in a school so that you can receive quality and affordable training? READ This:
Forklift Operators Requirements
Training schools may ask for more requirements, check with them exactly what they require.
- Vehicle driver’s license is not mandatory when applying for the training course, but employers preferred operator to have valid NY driver license.
- Must be 18 years old and above. No under age applicant will be allowed to take the course.
- No derogatory criminal record.
- No alcohol or substance abuse
- Must wear proper PPE during the training especially at the practical training
Benefits of Having a Forklift License
- Getting a forklift license is a massive plus factor for you when applying for a forklift driving job. You are more likely be chosen as suitable candidate for the job.
- The license serves as proof against heavy fines and penalties by OSHA when inspectors pay a visit at the company.
- The operators are taught during the training to fix and trouble shoot mechanical problems when arises, the employer do not have to hire mechanic thus reducing expenditures.
- Licensed operators are expected to work more efficient and productive thus increasing job output and result.
- Properly trained operators are more mindful about safety when performing work thus decreases incidents of materials damage, fewer near misses and rare accidents.
- Being licensed forklift operator opens job security. You are more likely to be picked for more mature position as trainer or instructor, promotion and salary raise.
Salary of Licensed Forklift Operator
Because Big Apple is one of the top performing states in the US, it offers great potential for forklift operators. Presently, a licensed operator can make $38,500 per year on average.
Based on the last survey report (January 2, 2018) of Salary.Com, these cities and towns are the ones giving high salary for forklift drivers in NY:
|Mount Vernon||$40,614||White Plains||$40,473|
If you can demonstrate your competency to your job and loyalty with the company, you can be promoted as in-house instructor and can demand for salary raise.
If you're intending to work in Pennsylvania, the wage is almost the same.
If you have more concerns about occupational safety standards or questions about forklift licensing procedure, you may keep in touch with these authorities:
New York Department of Labor
State Office Bldg., # 12
W.A. Harriman Campus
Albany, NY 12240
OSHA Area Office
401 New Karner Road, Ste 300
Albany, New York 12205-3809
Cities of NY
Albany , Amsterdam, Auburn, Batavia, Beacon, Binghamton, Buffalo, Canandaigua, Cohoes, Corning, Cortland, Dunkirk, Elmira, Fulton, Geneva, Glen Cove, Glens Falls, Gloversville, Hornell, Hudson, Ithaca, Jamestown, Johnstown, Kingston, Lackawanna, Little Falls, Lockport, Long Beach, Mechanicville, Middletown, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, New York, Newburgh, Niagara Falls, North Tonawanda, Norwich, Chenango, Ogdensburg, Olean, Oneida, Oneonta, Oswego, Peekskill, Plattsburgh, Port Jervis, Poughkeepsie, Rensselaer, Rochester, Rome, Rye, Salamanca, Saratoga Springs, Schenectady, Sherrill, Syracuse, Tonawanda, Troy, Utica, Watertown, Watervliet, White Plains, Yonkers