New York is one of the states that provide great employment opportunities and career advancement for operators with a forklift license. In order for you to get the job you want, you need to be certified first. This is the most important part of this profession. OSHA stipulated that only licensed operators can operate forklift trucks otherwise, employers and operators alike can face criminal charges and hefty fines when found guilty.
If you’re a novice or a beginner, who is preparing to take the training, looking for ways where to start can be a daunting task. That’s why we prepared this easy-to-follow steps in order to obtain the forklift license easily:
How to Get a Forklift license in New York
Here are the steps to obtain your license:
- Find an instructor or trade school where you can enroll for a comprehensive training course for new forklift operators. List of trade schools in New York is below for your reference.
- To become a certified operator, you should attend the classroom training. During the lecture, participants will learn safety regulations, fundamentals and principals driving forklifts, safe loading/unloading practice, accident prevention, hazard analysis and accident reporting.
- The written exam is administered after classroom training. Participants are expected to pass the 75% rating in order to qualify. The passing rate may vary depending on the school you chose.
- If you passed the test, the practical forklift operation follows. At this stage, participants must demonstrate the actual driving of the machine. The trainees must prove to the instructor their competency and proper use of the forklift. The given sets of assignments to accomplish like correct use forklift controls, driving the machine in the uneven road surface, lifting of materials from height, loading and unloading of materials, transfer from one place to the next, reversing and maneuvering, safe work practices, hazard analysis when performing work, near-miss prevention, and many other subjects that can be helpful.
- Once the trainees completed the training program and passed the written test and actual evaluation, the instructor will give the recommendation to deem you certified. You will be issued with a certificate of training completion and forklift license card. The license is valid for three years.
Forklift licensing procedure can be done at the workplace when insisted by the employer. The employer must prepare a meeting venue that can accommodate the number of participants. This method of training delivery is the most helpful for operators because they can be trained based on the condition of the workplace they’re working and the type of forklift they’re using.
Employers with a small fleet of operators and not having such a facility for the training can send their operators at the trade school.
When choosing for a training course, you must be specific to the type of forklift you intend to drive because the training program should be matched with that forklift truck
But you continue on, I would like to you to READ these important subjects:
- How to Become Certified Driving Forklifts
- Where Can You Go To Get Forklift License
- What are the Requirements You Need Before Taking the Training
- How Much Does It Cost You to Get Forklift Training
- How Long Does It Take You to Complete the Training Course
- Another Alternative: Online Forklift Training - Is It Suitable to You
If you are an employer who is seeking forklift training for your operators, READ these:
- Appoint Someone as Forklift Trainer to Deliver the Training to Save Money
- Is it Your Responsibility to Train the Workers
- What Should the Training Be Composed of to Comply with OSHA
- Worker is Injured at Work, Are You Liable?
- How to Renew Forklift License for Your Workers
Forklift Training Schools in New York
- Commercial Driver Training - 600 Patton Avenue, West Babylon, NY 11704, 300 Wynkoop Road, Hurley, New York 12443, Call 631-206-6224
- Ferrari Driving School - Long Island City, Queens 3528 19th Ave., Btwn 31st & 37th Streets, Astoria, New York 11105, P:718-278-6679
- General Forklift Company - 2589 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island, NY 10303, Ph: 718.816.5000, Fx: 718.727.5551
- Infiniti Handling System Inc - 603 Chestnut Street, Garden City, NY 11530, Tel: (516) 280-7589, Fax: (516) 280-7595
- PMT Forklift Corp. - 275 Great East Neck Rd., West Babylon, NY 11704, 631-661-5050, 631-661-1199 Fax
- TSCTA Training Academy - 332 E. 149th Street, 7th Floor, Bronx, NY 10451, Phone: 718-208-2910
- Blakley Equipment - 491 E Third Street, Mount Vernon, NY 10553, Phone: +1 914-664-5500
- OSHA 10 NY - West Babylon, Phone: 800-501-9440, Fax: 800-295-2550
- Swing Staging Training & Safety, LLC - 25-20 Borden Avenue, Long Island City, NY 11101, Telephone number (917) 584-6569, Fax number (917) 584-7948
- NextWave Safety Solutions, Inc. - 5 Hanover Sq., 24th Floor, New York, NY 10004, Ph: 212-933-9071
- United Rentals - 7178 SCHUYLER ROAD, EAST SYRACUSE, NY 13057, 315-463-6974, Fax: 315-463-8953
- PMT Forklift Corp. - 275 Great East Neck Rd., West Babylon, NY 11704, 631-661-5050, 631-661-1199 Fax
- Able Safety Consulting - 124 Front St #207, Massapequa Park, NY 11762, Phone: +1 888-926-4727
- Herc Rentals - 19-01 Steinway St, Astoria, NY 11105, Phone: 718-777-5126
- Crown Lift Trucks - 5 Charlotte Avenue, Hicksville, NY 11801, Fax: 516-822-0205
- Durante Rentals - 122 N. Saw Mill River Road, Elmsford NY 10523, Phone: (914) 347-6969, Fax: (914) 347-6968
- Summit ToyotaLift - m63 Mall Drive, Commack, NY 11725, Phone: (631) 236-4466, Fax: (631) 864-2382
- Buffalo Heavy Equipment Operator Training - 803 Niagara Falls Blvd, Buffalo, NY 14226, 716-834-2000
- Tribune Training Academy - Queens Boulevard, Long Island City, Phone: (929) 384 - 7580, Mobile: (917) 330 - 0891
- Material Handling Products Corp. - 11 Opus Blvd., Suite A, Schenectady, NY 12306, Main: (518) 372-5631, Toll Free: (800) 634-9364
- Thompson and Johnson Equipment Co., Inc. - 6926 Fly Rd, East Syracuse, NY 13057, (315) 895-1029 (local), (877) 460-9186 (Toll-free)
- Insley-McEntee - 1112 Emerson St., Rochester, (585) 458-4660
- Eastern Lift Truck Co., Inc. - 4606 3rd Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11220, toll: (866) 980-7175
- Buffalo Materials Handling - 125 Taylor Dr, Depew, Main Office: 716-894-6370, Toll Free # : 877-741-9555
- ProLift - 1835 Dale Rd, Buffalo, 1-888-259-9485
- Greater Rochester Chamber of Commerce - 150 State Street, Suite 400, Rochester, Call 585.244.1800
- Dobmeier Lift Trucks & LPM Parts of Buffalo - 620 Ontario St. Buffalo, 716-874-4545 - 716-876-8344
- Liftech - 6847 Ellicott Drive #2, East Syracuse, Phone: 315-463-7333, Fax: 315-463-6971, Toll Free: 877-543-8324
- Commercial Driver Training, Inc. - 300 Wynkoop Rd, Hurley, Phone: 845 535-4190
- Abel Womack - 140 Rodeo Drive, Edgewood, Toll Free: 888-610-1564
- NOTO Industrial - Serving the tri-state area, T: 631 736-7600
- JIT Toyota-Lift - 52 S Pearl St PO Box 613, Frewsburg, 716-473-1006
- Northeastern Retail Lumber Association - 585 North Greenbush Road, Rensselaer, New York 12144, P:+1 518-286-1010
Now, if you ask how to get enrolled in a school so that you can receive quality and affordable training? READ These:
Forklift Operators Requirements
Training schools may ask for more requirements, check with them exactly what they require.
- Vehicle driver’s license is not mandatory when applying for the training course, but employers preferred operator to have a valid NY driver license.
- Must be 18 years old and above. No underage applicant will be allowed to take the course.
- No derogatory criminal record.
- No alcohol or substance abuse
- Must wear proper PPE during the training especially at the practical training
Benefits of Having a Forklift License
- Getting a forklift license is a massive plus factor for you when applying for a forklift driving job. You are more likely to be chosen as a suitable candidate for the job.
- The license serves as proof against heavy fines and penalties by OSHA when inspectors pay a visit at the company.
- The operators are taught during the training to fix and troubleshoot mechanical problems when arises, the employer do not have to hire mechanic thus reducing expenditures.
- Licensed operators are expected to work more efficient and productive thus increasing job output and result.
- Properly trained operators are more mindful about safety when performing work thus decreases incidents of materials damage, fewer near misses and rare accidents.
- Being a licensed forklift operator opens job security. You are more likely to be picked for a more mature position as trainer or instructor, promotion and salary raise.
Salary of Licensed Forklift Operator
Because Big Apple is one of the top-performing states in the US, it offers great potential for forklift operators. Presently, a licensed operator can make as much as $39,920 per year on average.
Based on the last survey report (March 26, 2020) of Salary.Com, these cities and towns are the ones giving high salary for forklift drivers in NY:
|$39,970 - Accord||$42,581 - Hawthorne|
|$37,811 - Albany||$41,988 - Highland Falls|
|$40,693 - Albertson||$42,897 - Hillburn|
|$39,758 - Amagansett||$44,273 - Hollis|
|$40,179 - Amenia||$44,645 - Jackson Heights|
|$40,845 - Aquebogue||$44,273 - Jamaica|
|$42,853 - Ardsley||$44,273 - Kew Gardens|
|$42,866 - Ardsley On Hudson||$42,435 - Kings Park|
|$44,273 - Arverne||$41,241 - Lincolndale|
|$42,888 - Armonk||$42,465 - Long Beach|
|$44,273 - Atlantic Beach||$42,483 - Lynbrook|
|$40,281 - Babylon||$41,753 - Mamaroneck|
|$42,290 - Bear Mountain||$44,645 - Maspeth|
|$42,875 - Bedford||$42,435 - Melville|
|$42,838 - Bedford Hills||$42,922 - Monsey|
|$41,564 - Bethpage||$42,838 - Mount Kisco|
|$42,934 - Blauvelt||$42,497 - New Milford|
|$44,248 - Breezy Point||$45,017 - New York|
|$42,824 - Briarcliff Manor||$42,934 - Orangeburg|
|$42,866 - Bronxville||$44,273 - Ozone Park|
|$45,017 - Brooklyn||$42,320 - Pine Island|
|$41,580 - Campbell Hall||$42,435 - Plainview|
|$41,201 - Center Moriches||$42,859 - Pomona|
|$42,435 - Centerport||$44,273 - Quenns Village|
|$42,838 - Chappaqua||$41,647 - Salisbury Mills|
|$44,273 - College Point||$42,851 - Scarsdale|
|$42,872 - Congers||$41,315 - Shoreham|
|$44,273 - Corona||$41,981 - Slate Hill|
|$42,254 - Crompond||$40,926 - South Jamesport|
|$42,435 - Deer Park||$42,934 - Sparkill|
|$42,866 - Dobbs Ferry||$42,922 - Spring Valley|
|$37,660 - East Durham||$42,528 - Sterling Forest|
|$42,483 - Elmont||$42,822 - Stony Point|
|$42,855 - Elmsford||$42,934 - Tappan|
|$42,535 - Farmingdale||$42,863 - Thornwood|
|$44,273 - Forest Hills||$42,374 - Unionville|
|$42,094 - Fort Montgomery||$40,057 - Verbank|
|$42,435 - Greenlawn||$42,888 - West Harrison|
|$42,553 - Greenwood Lake||$42,875 - White Plains|
|$42,888 - Harrison|
If you can demonstrate your competency to your job and loyalty with the company, you can be promoted as an in-house instructor and demand a salary raise.
If you're intending to work in Pennsylvania, the wage is a little lower.
If you have more concerns about occupational safety standards or questions about forklift licensing procedure, you may keep in touch with these authorities:
New York Department of Labor
State Office Bldg., # 12
W.A. Harriman Campus
Albany, NY 12240
OSHA Area Office
401 New Karner Road, Ste 300
Albany, New York 12205-3809
Cities of NY
Albany , Amsterdam, Auburn, Batavia, Beacon, Binghamton, Buffalo, Canandaigua, Cohoes, Corning, Cortland, Dunkirk, Elmira, Fulton, Geneva, Glen Cove, Glens Falls, Gloversville, Hornell, Hudson, Ithaca, Jamestown, Johnstown, Kingston, Lackawanna, Little Falls, Lockport, Long Beach, Mechanicville, Middletown, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, New York, Newburgh, Niagara Falls, North Tonawanda, Norwich, Chenango, Ogdensburg, Olean, Oneida, Oneonta, Oswego, Peekskill, Plattsburgh, Port Jervis, Poughkeepsie, Rensselaer, Rochester, Rome, Rye, Salamanca, Saratoga Springs, Schenectady, Sherrill, Syracuse, Tonawanda, Troy, Utica, Watertown, Watervliet, White Plains, Yonkers