One component of an effective forklift training course is written test. It is given after a formal lecture inside the classroom. The purpose is to gauge the understandings of the operators gained from the classroom discussion. A forklift training test is administered for evaluation reason. After you have passed the test, the forklift practice test follows.
The training course will depend on the forklift type you want to operate therefore, if you are intending to drive a more complicated machine, the formal discussion tend to be lengthier and expect the written test as well.
Before you go on, there are topics you need to know first as mentioned below, READ these:
- How Much Does It Cost You to Get Certified
- Requirements of Trainees and Training Course
- How to Become Certified to Driver Forklifts
- Can You Use Your Forklift Certification to Work with Another Company
- Can You Use Your Forklift License to Work in Other State
- How Long Does the Forklift Training Last
- Is Online Training the Right One for You
- Your Qualifications as Forklift Operator
- Your Job Description as Forklift Operator
Forklift Training Test Questions
Here’ the list of general questions that can be asked when you are taking your forklift training test:
- When traveling with the forks touching the floor, is it safe to drive the machine? No
- When moving loads to other places, forks should be lifted not more than six inches off the ground? Yes
- Is it safe to talk on the mobile phone while at work driving the truck? No
- Honk your horn when passing the intersection? Yes
- When parking the truck, always lower the forks until it touches the floor? Yes
- When lifting heavy loads at considerable height, is forklift stability suffers? Yes
- Is it safe for colleague to ride on the pallet while you are traveling? No
- Always switch off the forklift when filling up gas, charging or refueling? Yes
- A daily inspection is required by OSHA before commencing work. True
- When your shift is done, is it a good parking practice lowering the mast and forks until it reach the floor, switching off the engine and putting the brake on. True
- Maintain speed limit and slow down to keep balance when turning. True
- Are forklifts can be driven forward at 10 degrees slope? True
- Only one passenger may ride a forklift. False
- Employers can carry out performance evaluation of forklift operators at least once every three years. True
- The forklift training course should specific to the type of truck the operator will be operating. True
- The forklift training must also be workplace specific? True
- The training is at most effective when done in the actual workplace. True
- A safety trainer must be someone who is experience and senior who is capable to deliver the training? Yes
- Does a forklift need to have an alarm when moving backward? Yes
- If sight of the forklift driver is blocked by the load being moved, could he just sound the horn when reversing instead of activating the backing alarm? No
- Are the rear view mirrors necessary? Yes
- Are headlights needed when operating forklift? No
- Are backing alarm and horn required? Yes
- Does operator need to know the information indicated on capacity/data plate? Yes
- Is tilting the mast makes the load secure? Yes
- When loads obstruct the view of the operator, can he travel in reverse? Yes
- When parking the forklift, the forks must be lifted above the ground? No
Study these questions, many of the above questions can come out of the forklift training written test.
I would like to remind you that these are general questions, you can study them, familiarize with them. Passing the test will solely depend on your skill and understanding. So be prepared!
Some Tips To Succeed the Forklift Training Written Test
- Other questions will be specific to the type of forklift truck you will be operating, so make sure you know the technical details of that kind forklift truck.
- Some questions can be tricky, so ensure you thoroughly understand the question before making your answer.
- Some trainers or training schools are more safety-focused, many safety related questions can also come out, make sure you have thoroughly learned from the classroom discussions.
- Understand the important points the trainer will highlight during the classroom lectures, it can come out during the written test.
- Comprehensively read the handouts the trainer will give you, you can find many answers from there.
- During the video presentation, make sure to watch it because some questions can be taken from there.
- When the multiple choice type of questionnaire is the style of the trainer, don’t worry because the answer can only be limited to 3 or 4.
The hands-on or practical training is second stage of the certification course. This test is conducted by a competent person who has the knowledge and skills to deliver the training. It is consist of actual operation of the forklift performed by the trainer and practice exercise performed by the trainee. The trainer must supervise the performance of the trainee. Just like the written test, this training must be specific to the type of forklift truck the worker is planning to operate.
The subjects covered by this training are truck and worksite specific issues. Here are the topics:
- The forklift manufacturer’s recommended operation instructions
- Load capacity and limitation
- Characteristics of forklift that differ from automobiles
- Characteristic of the forklift that vary from other types of forklift trucks
- The forklift’s operational controls and instrumentation – it vary from type to type
- Preventive maintenance of the truck
- Refueling or recharging of the truck
- Radius of maneuvering and steering
- Center of gravity of the truck
- Use of extension and its safe operation
- Daily inspection that needs to be performed before and after operation
- Operating stability and limitation
- Condition of the roads where the forklift will be operated in
- Driving in ramps and slopes that affects the stability triangle of the truck during transporting
- Behavior of pedestrian of the workplace
- Operation in tight spaces and narrow aisle location
- Hazardous location especially when operation involves loading of chemicals
- Operation in confined spaces or indoors where fumes and exhaust could create poisonous carbon monoxide
- Operation of the truck outdoors where operator is exposed to environmental hazards and weather condition (heat and cold)
- Parking in designated places
- Other matters and topics distinct only to the type of workplace the forklift will be operated in
The trainer evaluation is the last stage of the course. If you succeeded passing the written test and had a satisfactory rating during practice exercise, then rest assured of receiving your forklift certification at the end. The trainer will issue you operator card or license that you can show to your supervisor or prospective employer.