Are you choosing to drive a forklift as a career? Then, you need to take forklift training in Hamilton. Let us remind you that it is required by law and by your prospective employer.
The employer puts utmost importance to safety. That’s a fact! It is therefore vital for you to take a forklift training course so that you can get a successful employment.
Forklift trucks are great investment of the company. It is also a dangerous piece of heavy equipment to drive. Forklift accidents cause hundreds of injuries and dozens of deaths every year. It is there imperative for operator to be properly trained and licensed.
If you do not have your licence yet, here, we’ve prepared this article for you, so that it would be easy for you apply for one.
What You Need to Do to Get a Forklift License
Once you have completed a course, you become confident driving the forklift safely. But what if you do not take it yet? Here in this guide, we’ve given you what you need to do to get a forklift license and the other requirements you need to have to get a license.
- Choose what type of forklift you want to get trained in. Training packages are usually being offered by the school, choose what suits your requirement.
- Look for a registered training school or instructor. Listed below are the training schools in Hamilton where you can enroll.
- Take the classroom lectures and practical driving. These two comprised the training course.
- Pass the written test and practical driving assessment. Both of these tests will be administered by the instructor. You can retake the test if you failed.
- Receive your forklift training certificate and operator card. Once you are finished taking the tests and deemed competent, the instructor will give your certificate and operator card.
- An additional for F endorsement is required. If you will operate the truck in public place, you need to apply for an F endorsement. This will qualify you to operate the forklift in places where the public can access.
Forklift Training Schools in Hamilton
A number of forklift training courses are being offered by the school, would it be operator certification, refresher course or F endorsement. Here are the schools in Hamilton where you can enroll for course:
71 Te Kowhai East Road, Hamilton
Phone: 07 850 8319, Freephone: 0800 267 476
Cnr Ann Michele Street & Te Rapa Road, Hamilton
Phone: 07 849 6640, Fax: 07 849 6642
Regular and weekly forklift training course is available in Hamilton branch
National Forklift Training Ltd.
Phone: (09) 271 6565, Fax: (09) 271 6666, Mobile: (0275) 824 207
Servicing Hamilton and other areas
Master Drive Services
6668 Te Rapa Road, Te Rapa Park, Hamilton 3288
Phone: (07) 849 6372, Vinnie Green - (027) 537 1553
Offers e-learning OSH/Unit Standard course, F Endorsement course and standard OSH compliant forklift training course
PassRite Driving Academy
94H Duke Street, Frankton, Hamilton, New Zealand
Phone: 07-855-1111, Free Phone: 0800-PASSRITE (0800 727 774)
Offer D endorsement course, forklift operator competency training, or combination of these two.
NZ Transport Agency
Level 1, Deloitte Building, 24 Anzac Parade, Hamilton
Telephone: +64 7 958 7220, Fax: +64 7 957 1437
Servicing Hamilton and other nearby locations in New Zealand
To book for a course, call 0800 222 111
Forklift operator training covers the OSH and NZQA qualification and F endorsement, the course is conducted at their own facility or at the client’s site.
Waikato Forklift & Machinery Services
425 Te Rapa Road, Hamilton, New Zealand, Phone: (07)839-2499
Wellington, Contact: 64 (0)4 5662341
F Endorsement and OSH Certificate
If you want to drive a forklift on the public road or any site where public can access, you need to have an F endorsement on your licence. It is illegal to operate the truck on the road if you don’t have the endorsement. If you intend to operate the forklift in the workplace and not on the road, you need not have an F endorsement.
The F endorsement has two classes: the class 1 and 2. With the class 1, you can legally drive a forklift on the road with gross laden weight of not more than 18,000 kilograms, while the class 2, you can operate a forklift with gross laden weight of more than 18,000 kilograms.
The OSH certificate is needed to operate forklift. You can attain to have one if you completed a forklift training course. The course usually takes a day or two and composed of classroom instruction and practical exercises. To verify your competency, you need to pass both written and practical tests administered by the school’s trainer. When you are successful, you will receive your OSH certificate and wallet-size operator card.
The OSH certificate and F endorsement work together if you drive the equipment on the public roadway. You cannot legally operate the truck without the other.
Requirements to Get Forklift Licence
- You need to have a minimum Class 1 driver’s licence
- Your OSH certificate as proof of completion of a forklift training course
- Be at the age of 16 years old and above, your application will not be accepted if you are younger
- If your second language is English, you have proof of attainment for IELTS (or equivalent) Level 5.0.
- Extra application fee for the F endorsement.
Forklift Operator Salary in Hamilton
Generally in New Zealand, a forklift operator can earn as much as NZ$18.22 in average per hour. The salary ranges from NZ$15.63 - NZ$23.52. The overtime rate is NZ$24.00. The yearly salary equates NZ$32,622 - NZ$61,279. This figure is from the September 21, 2017 Payscale report.
To Conclude This
Getting an OSH forklift certificate is the first step to embark into this career. It only takes a small amount of money and time to attain the certification. An F endorsement may be required depending on your place of work.
If you have these two qualifications, you increase your probability of landing a high paying job. Forklift training is so important. Without it, you cannot be accepted for job.
If forklifts are driven by competent operators, accidents will not happen.