Forklifts are heavy-duty trucks that can be used to carry and move goods. They come in many different shapes, sizes, and configurations. If you want to operate one of these vehicles, there are certain requirements that must be met before you can get your license.
If you are in East Kilbride in Scotland, taking the forklift training and getting the licence should not be a big hassle.
You’ll need to take a course from an accredited training provider or school on how to safely operate the vehicle as well as pass an exam with at least 75% accuracy (passing rate varies depending on the school).
Once this is done, you will receive your operator card which is valid for 3 years! The process may seem daunting but it’s worth it when it comes time to find employment opportunities with companies who require this type of certification.
We'll walk you through what you need in order to get this credential and show you where to go next if there are any questions that come up along the way. You'll have all the information necessary for success in no time at all!
The Process of Taking the Training
- Determine your skill level – the course, duration and the cost will depend on the skill level you have. The option you have are novice training, semi-experienced/untested operator, conversion course, and the most common refresher training.
- Locate a training provider in East Kilbride – enrolling in the school is the second step to take. Finding one would not be hard as we provide the schools in East Kilbride where you can enroll, see below. You can also find one in other cities in Scotland.
- Attend the theoretical and practical training – these are the two main parts of the course. You will spend a little time in the classroom for the theories and a lot of time in the workplace-simulated environment for the actual driving.
- Pass the training exams – in order for you to receive the operator card and be certified, you have to pass the exams which are both written and practical. Don’t worry, passing them is easy as long as you attended the theories and practical training.
Forklift Training Provider in East Kilbride
- A.D.Tech Forklift Truck Training
18 Haven Park, East Kilbride
Phone: 01355 221 378; Mobile: 07800 811 258
- Windsor Engineering (Hull) Ltd
Unit 15, Fairfield Place, East Kilbride
Tel: 01355 377444; Fax: 01355 377445
- EK Training Services
64 Quebec Drive, Westwood East Kilbride G75 8SA East Kilbride
+44 7766 375265
- East Kilbride & District Engineering Group Training Association Ltd.
3 Law Place, Nerston, East Kilbride G74 4PP
Phone: 01355 229985 or 238912; Fax: 01355 264585
- Driver Hire Training
17 Glenfield Road, Kelvin Industrial Estate
East Kilbride, G75 0RA
Requirements You Need in Order to Be a Forklift Driver
- 17 years old is good to train but you must be at least 18 years old as most businesses only hire candidates at this age.
- Since the nature of the work is physically demanding, anyone who wants to be a forklift driver must be in good physical and health condition. (test includes: hearing, vision, general medical)
- You don’t need to have a driving license as long as you don’t intend to operate the truck on public roads.
- Well of course, a forklift licence which can be earned by complete a training course. See above how.
- Can work as part of the team – to work as a forklift driver, teamwork is important. You will be working with other operators and disciplines on site. It is therefore essential to have these skills in order to work with them.
Are You an Employer Who Wants to Supply Training to Workers?
If you are an employer, you can conduct the training onsite. This can be done by hiring an outside trainer or appointing someone as the company trainer.
Whichever path you take, the onsite training is much more ideal compared to the offsite training. Why is it so? In onsite training, the course contents can be modified to address the different safety situations in the workplace; it can be altered to address the behavior of the workers; and it can be adjusted to tackle the equipment being used by the workers.
The onsite training is cost-effective. You don’t need to send the workers away and pay for their accommodation.
Onsite training is very effective if you have a large group of participants. On the other hand, if you have a small group, onsite training is beneficial also.
To Make a Conclusion
Forklifts are an essential part of any warehouse. They're used to move heavy loads and keep the flow of goods going smoothly. But without a valid forklift operator's license, they can be dangerous for anyone who operates them. That’s why it’s important to know how to get your forklift license before you start operating one on the job site.
If you want to be a forklift driver in East Kilbride, take the training now, it can be completed in as past as 1-3 days depending on the skills you have.
We wish you good luck in your chosen career!