In order to be compliant with current legislation like the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER) 1998 and the HSE at Work At Work Act 1974, employers in Leicestershire must adhere to forklift training requirements that all of their workers must be skilled and capable handling the equipment. It is also true that when an individual is looking for work as a forklift driver, he must be trained first in order to get a job prospect. Whoever you are, whether you are a company or someone who is looking for a lift truck licence, getting trained is utmost importance to conform to government regulations.
So, Where Can You Get Forklift Licence?
A licence is also called certificate, it could be used interchangeably and don’t be confused. Well, some referred to it as a licence but in fact it is kind of certificate. It is a written authority you can get either from the training school (if you are not yet employed) or employer (if you are employed and employer has internal trainer who can supply the training). This document must specify what type of truck the holder is capable of driving and other limitations. You can get this if you completed a training course.
An employer can contact a centre to supply training for all workers as a group and it could be done on-site. An individual seeking a course for employment, can take the training in the centre’s own facility.
Here are the training centres you can find in Leicestershire:
- Data Academy Ltd - 187 Scudamore Road, Braunstone Frith Ind Est, Leicester, LE3 1UQ, Call: 0116 287 7692
- Mechanical Handling Equipment Training - Unit 3, City Industrial Units, Wheat Street, Leicester, Tel: +44 (0) 116 251 9411
- GTR Training Services Ltd. - 22 Dartford Road, Leicestershire, Mobile #: +44 (0)7986 262415, Tel #: +44 0116 283 0007
- Angus Lift Trucks - Willowbank Road, Hinckley, Phone: 01455 241 147
- Approved Fork Trucks - Hill Top Farm, Main Street, South Croxton, Call: 0116 276 2868
- a2b Training - Unit 3, City Industrial Units, Wheat Street, Tel: +44 (0) 116 251 9411
- MTS Cheap Training - 31, Coleford Rd, Thurmaston, Leicester,Leicestershire, LE4 9NB, Tel: 07906 353978
- Pegasus Commercial Training - 2 Parkdale Road, Thurmaston, Tel: 07920 149467
- Avantgarde Training (Nationwide) - 9 Kingfisher Close, Syston, Phone: 07879 405815
- Hughes Driver Training Ltd - 284 Gipsy Lane, Leicester, Telephone: 0161 401 8447
- AC Training Services - The Whittle Estate, Cambridge Rd, Whetstone, Leicester, Telephone: 0116 275 2163
- 1st Link Training Centre Ltd - 131 Barkby Rd, Leicester, Call: 0116 319 3466
- Learn2Forklift - Eversley, Berry Hill Lane, Coalville, Call: 07739 851011
- Forklift School – Serves many areas, and offers training in different types of forklift trainings, for inquiry contact 01162505027
- Muldoons Forklifts Limited – offers forklift servicing and training in nearby areas as well, Phone: 01332 341 115, Mob: 07850 942 494, Facsimile: 01332 370 467
- Fork Truck Training Solutions – provides on site training, serves many areas, you may contact them at 07591 115639
- Automotive Transport Training - Jacknell Road, Dodwellsbridge Industrial Estate, Hinckley, Leicestershire, Call:01455 251516
- Midland Fork Lifts – This company serves many locations including Leicestershire and other nearby areas, make enquiry at 01536 720444
- UK Safety Limited - The Willows, 38a Highway Road, Thurmaston, Leicester, Leicestershire, Phone: 0116 260 9005
- DLS Training - Unit 6B, Brookside Industrial Estate, Spring Road, Ibstock, Leicestershire, Phone: 01530 260659, 07779 983418
- MDS Forklift Training - Brisco Avenue, Loughborough, Leicestershire LE11 5HB, Phone: 07948 609105
How To Get Trained as Forklift Operator?
- If you are unsure what training course you need, first determine what kind of forklift truck you want to operate, there are several types of the equipment. The training course must be exact with the truck.
- Find a training school where you can enroll for course. The list of training centres is mentioned above, for your reference.
- Once you are enrolled, you will be required to attend the classroom and theoretical part of the course. This may last a day up to five days, depending on the forklift you want to certified on. A new operator may have to spend longer time in the training. Refresher course may only take 2 days, while conversion course may last up to 3 days.
- To assure qualification, knowledge and capabilities of the trainees, a practical and hands-on driving will be administered by the instructor. This is to assess trainee has acquired the necessary skills.
- At the end of the course is the course, if students have been satisfactorily assessed, the trainer will issue them their certificates or licences. The certificate is only valid for three years. You must take refresher training every three years after each in order to keep qualifications, but the HSE recommends taking it frequently, the three years is only the maximum time you can take a refresher course.
Requirements To Be A Forklift Operator in UK
- Individual must be in the minimum school leaving and official age, if he is intended to work in docks, ports, constructions sites, and in other hazardous workplaces, he be at least 18 years old to get forklift training and accepted for a job.
- Under the Management Regulations 1999, an employer’s duty in hiring young workers is to analyze the risk in health and safety and of the person, this is due that young operator tends to have lacking in knowledge and capacity, he could be a potential danger for himself and others.
- An operator must have a licence or certificate proving his competence. This licence could be attained by taking the forklift training course, the steps are outlined above for your reference. The licence is the number one requirements employer is looking when an individual is applying for a job.
- By this time, you might have already known that becoming a forklift operator lends long hours at work. This mean you could be working more than the supposed work duration especially when the business operation is at high peak and production quota must be met. Working for long hours demands superior physical stamina and good medical fitness.
Are Foreign Forklift Licence Valid in Leicestershire
This is the common question that pops up when a foreigner wants to work as forklift driver in UK.
Counties like US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand has their own training standard, and UK has its own too. The standard may conflicting to each other.
Since, UK has its own norm, the answer for this question is simply “No.”
If you are a holder of a foreign licence, what can you do now? Since, you are experienced driver, you can explain to your prospective employer about your foreign licence. They might hire you and you can receive the training internally. Other option for you is to get trained at the school, see above list.
There is not central licensing agency in the UK that issued licences. There is not such thing as forklift licence, but to avoid confusion both employer and workers referred to it as licence. To get yours, undergo a training course specific to the type of forklift you want to operate or take a course specific to the level of competence you got.
Taking your forklift training in Leicestershire can boost your chance of advancing your career.