In Toronto, Ontario just like in the US, there’s no such thing as forklift license, but it is synonymous to forklift training or certification. If you hear the license, it refers to certificate or card given upon successful completion of a type of forklift training. Make no mistake.
Employers, the government and workers now are all aware of the importance of forklift certification because of the rise of the accidents and deaths. Government has become stringent and employers and workers must comply with.
All of you who arrive here in this article, might be looking for forklift training. Hence, we have prepared this for you to understand the intricacies of getting one. The steps to take, training schools where you can enroll and the present legislation currently implemented, are the things you can learn from here. Without further ado, here it goes:
Benefits of Having Forklift License
With the confounding number of industrial accidents, worker injuries, damages, and mourning each year, there is no denial that forklift-related accidents must be stopped! This is the primary reason why there is much emphasis given by the federal and provincial governments on forklift training.
Employers now have realized the importance of contracting forklift operators with sufficient knowledge about the craft. The have in their shoulder the biggest responsibilities of forklift training provision. Hence, if you delve into this career, make sure you have the readied forklift license in your wallet so that you can show it them. Here are some of the benefits having a license:
- In compliance with government legislation, employers really want to establish a safe workplace. They want to reduce the accidents by provision of forklift certification course. If you completed a training course and issued with a license, then you are compliant to safety and health advocacy of the company.
- It makes you ripe to be selected by the employer if you applying for a job. It also makes due for job promotion, if you are in possession of a forklift license.
- Licensed operators know how the equipment works, know when they needed maintenance, therefore trained forklift operators can reduce equipment maintenance cost.
- The license can save you from citation and penalty when inspectors from the government visited the company premises for inspection.
How to Apply for Forklift License
To make it simple, we just prepare these four steps in taking forklift training.
- Get readied for what you need. Determine your requirements. Forklift course must be specific to the type of workplace and equipments in use. Therefore, when seeking for course, you must specify type of forklift you want to operate or in use in the warehouse. You can talk to the trainer or school of your additional requirements if they can afford it to you.
- Forklift operators must attend the classroom lecture and discussion. Classroom lecture can be taken online, if school provided it so. There’s blended approach here. Operator has the option to take course from the computer at home or office, at your own pace and free time.
- Take and pass the written exam. This is some sort of measurement to evaluate the knowledge gained from the classroom.
- Attend the forklift practice driving. This is your chance of getting acquainted with the type of forklift you intended to operate.
- Get evaluated by the safety trainer so that you can receive your license at the end of the course.
You can take the forklift training from other city like in Mississauga, the process is the same.
Forklift Training Schools in Toronto
You are all looking for forklift training, and the mistake every of you makes is not knowing what included in the package. You just select what’s the cheapest and sign in. To help you, I encourage you to choose the school that’s best suited to your requirements no matter how much more expensive it is compare to others. Choose the school with extensive and comprehensive training curriculum.
We’ve offered this list of schools in Toronto where you can enroll.
- Seneca College - Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 416-493-4144
- Mega City Forklift Training - 147 Norfinch Dr Unit #3, 416-335-5551
- Toronto Truck Driving School - 225 Claireport Crescent, 1-800-263-6748, 416-675-7500
- Davis Training, Inc. - 410 Ormont Drive, North York, (416)743-8638, 416.743.9849
- Liftow - 3150 American Drive, Toronto, (905) 677-3270, 1-800-387-3140
- Workplace Law Consulting, Inc. - 9000 Keele St. Suite 7, Vaughan , (416) 930-6180
- City Truck & Forklift Driving School Ltd. - 7003, Steeles Avenue West, Unit # 9, (416) 749-9449, (416) 289-3446
- CN Forklift Training Centre - (905)-405-0001
- Safety 1st Fork Lift Training Inc. - 705-436-6303, serves Toronto and GMT and other locations
- Torcan Lift Equipment Inc. - 115 Rivalda Rd., 416-743-2500
- Ri-Go Lift Truck Ltd. - 175 Courtland Ave. Concord, (416) 213-7277
- AAA Great Toronto Truck Driving School, Inc. - 1616 O"Connor Drive, (416)879-1616
- Work Safe Training - 416-321-9675 (Toronto)
Remember that forklift license does not give you job, but the skills you will get does. Forklift certificate only allows you to be qualified for job, but without proper competency, you will just become stuck.
Present Government Legislations on Forklift Safety
CSA B335 Standard most significant changes were retraining of forklift operators, previously it was in every 18-month period. Now, as per new standard, it must be in on-going basis. The retraining must be done if operators are found to be lacking skills and knowledge, when there’s new equipment introduced in the warehouse where operators do not know about its operation and control, when workplace setup changes during full business operation, and when the present standard superceded by new legislation.
The inspectors Ontario Ministry of Labour shall ensure operators have the training, skills and experience to operate designate truck. They shall make routine visit and inspection to the companies province-wide. Aside from this, they will also check that supervisors have the competency to supervise these operators.
The inspectors will verify the training records to check if the training is up to date. They will also conduct interview to the operators to see if they are capable enough to operate the forklift. They shall inspector the safety program in place and if they are followed.
The inspectors will revisit these companies after a year to confirm rectification of violation, if there’s any from the initial visit, and to ensure compliance with legislation and law.
Salary of Forklift Operator in Toronto
As of June 24, 2016, according to Salary.Com, forklift operator working in Toronto can make as much $35,902 per year. This the basic salary, this does not include bonuses, privilege and incentives.
The company can offer better pay if operator has extensive experience and knowledge. Operator salary may depend also in level of education. If you can prove you worth with the company, then you are assured of better wage.
To Conclude This
Forklift driving can give you long term employment in Toronto, you can be assured of better future in this career. Businesses in this city are in continuously demand skills like yours. There’s no lacking for talents you have.
In order to enter this career, get your self trained first. If you are an employer, get your workers trained. Take the forklift training by enrolling at the school or ask the internal trainer to provide it. It is in the shoulder of the employer. Getting a forklift license can prepare your life for the future.