In Maine, your chances of getting a job as a forklift operator are in manufacturing and industrial factories.
If you’re a new to this field and intending to make a career as a licensed forklift driver, you need to get your certification in accordance with OSHA standard. Again, you need to apply for a training course to do this.
How? Follow this instruction, and you can obtain your license is just matters of days and spending little amount.
I would like to borrow some your time to READ these subjects that can help you out to get forklift training:
- How to Become OSHA Certified
- Where You Can Go to Get Trained and Certified Operating the Forklifts
- 8 Mindful Tips to Help You Choose Forklift Training School
- Requirements Forklift Operators Must Have Before Taking a Training Course
- How Much Does It Cost to Become OSHA Certified
- How Long Does It Take to Get Certified
- How to Renew the Forklift Certification
- Is Online Certification Right For You
- When to Take Retraining
- Fines and Penalties
- What are Your Job Descriptions and Responsibilities as Forklift Operator
Words for the employer who are seeking training for their forklift drivers, READ these useful articles to assist you:
- Will the You Train the Operators to OSHA Compliant
- How to Save Money by Assigning Someone as Forklift Trainer
- Why You Need to Supply Forklift Safety Training to Your Workers
- What The Training Should Consist to Meet OSHA Standard
Obtaining Your Forklift License
- Only OSHA certified trainer can conduct forklift training. The training can be done on-site or at the employer's workplace or can be conducted at training schools’ facility. The more ideal of the two is on-site training, as the trainer can specify the type of training programs to give based on working condition, the behavior of the operators, and machinery types.
- If you are a new with no prior working experience at all, getting your forklift license is the primary step before you go out there applying for the job. You need to take the comprehensive course at the training schools or colleges, we’ve provided you the list below.
- When enrolled, you are tasked to complete two parts of the course: the classroom lessons and actual forklift operations. You need to pass the written exam and trainer’s evaluation.
- When completed the training and you are evaluated satisfactorily by the trainer, you will be issued with a certificate and wallet-size license card, present those documents to your prospective employer when looking for a job.
OSHA does not issue certification, it is the trainer or training school who conducted the training. OSHA issue standards that all employers and operators must follow.
Forklift Training Schools and Providers in Maine
Before enrolling, you need to figure out what training course you need. You need a training based on the type of training you will be operating.
- Steve’s Safety Services - 65 Penney Rd, New Gloucester, ME, +1 207-713-7211
- NITCO Materials Handling Solutions - 23 Foss Road, Lewiston, ME 04240
- University of Southern Maine - PO Box 9300, Portland, ME 04104, +1 800-800-4876
- WD Matthews Machinery Company - 901 Center St, Auburn, ME 04210, (207) 784-9311
- Motive Solutions LLC - 85 Highland Ave, Turner, Maine 04282, Phone/FAX: 207-224-0174
- US Forklift Certification - (866) 556-8732 (USFC)
- CertifyMe - 888-699-4800
- IVES Training - 1-800-643-1144
The amount that you can spend is minimal, it only cost as much as $100 to $200 depending on the comprehensiveness of the training you required.
Why having a forklift license is important
- Efficiency and productivity boosting. Being certified operator can definitely increase the level of workers’ productivity. They’ve been taught how to get the job done quickly and safely during the training course.
- Safety awareness is one of the concerns during the forklift training, therefore, licensed operators were more inclined to avoid accidents.
- Employers hate property damage and you, becoming a licensed driver can definitely reduce the incident of employers’ property being damaged while in operation.
- Increase your level of competency thus improving your confidence. This is important as the nature of work of forklift operators is meeting deadlines and accomplishing loading/unloading in a specified time. You can perform more work if you’re competent.
- When applying for a job, you’re a ripe fruit in the eyes of the employer to be picked. You have the best chance of getting hired if you have the license.
Forklift Operator Salary in the state of Maine
An experienced and licensed forklift operator can make as much $39,158 on average yearly, but it could range between $35,021 and $44,631 depending on individual's experience and skills operating the truck. In New Hampshire, the salary is significantly higher compared to Maine.
According to the latest Febryary 27, 2023 report of Salary.com, here are the cities and towns of Maine with high salary for forklift operators:
|Acton - $40,909||Lebanon - $41,094|
|Alfred - $40,675||Limington - $39,900|
|Bailey Island - $39,956||Long Island - $40,064|
|Bath - $39,658||Matinicus - $38,187|
|Berwick - $41,785||Monroe - $36,879|
|Brunswick - $39,712||New Gloucester - $39,766|
|Burlington - $36,716||Newfield - $40,464|
|Bustins Island - $39,983||North Berwick - $41,747|
|Cape Neddick - $41,842||North Waterboro - $40,278|
|Corinth - $37,041||Ogunquit - $41,766|
|Dennysville - $36,716||Orrs Island - $39,875|
|Durham - $39,820||Poland - $39,658|
|East Parsonfield - $40,491||Pownal - $39,902|
|East Waterboro - $40,349||Rangeley - $38,187|
|Gorham - $40,064||Seal Harbor- $36,716|
|Gray - $39,902||Shapleigh - $40,725|
|Harpswell - $39,875||South Casco - $39,820|
|Hollis Center - $39,848||South Portland - $40,064|
|Hudson - $37,905||Standish - $39,929|
|Kennebunkport - $40,602||Vienna - $38,187|
|Levant - $37,122||Wells - $40,858|
You can be hired and employed by other business in nearby states, if you preferred to work in another state, you can take your license with you, the license in nationally recognized. However, you need recertification every three years and prove that you have maintained your skill, simply by showing your certificate of your passed employment.
Contact the Authorities
Governing Authorities to inquire about forklift licensing, wage-related matters and health and safety standards:
Department of Labor
54 State House Station Drive
P.O. Box 259
Augusta, ME 04332
Main Switchboard:(207) 623-7900
Where to Get Forklift Training Near Me?
For all of you who are just starting a career in forklift driving and don't know where to get forklift certification to get a new job, in this website, we have prepared the tutorials of each state, we've listed down the list of training schools, operator salary of each state and steps to take the training. Just select the state where you are in the left side bar.
Cities of ME
Portland, Lewiston, Bangor, South Portland, Auburn, Biddeford, Sanford, Saco, Augusta, Westbrook, Waterville, Presque Isle, Presque Isle, Brewer, Bath, Caribou, Ellsworth, Old Town, Rockland, Belfast, Gardiner, Calais, Hallowell, Eastport