Ontario has four major cities: Toronto, Mississauga, Ottawa and Brampton. These cities are where major economic growth and businesses in Canada are thriving. Those businesses need talents like you and one of the growing vocations you can get into is being a forklift operator.
But before you can get your hands on the controls, you need to have a proper training in the operation of the forklift.
The Occupational Health and Safety Act obliges employers to have their operators be educated and skilled driving the truck.
If you are one of the job seekers who are wanting to obtain a forklift certification, then we can guide you on your journey. We have readied this article for you.
Here, we laid down the steps you need to take to complete the training. We also list down the training providers in Ontario where you can get trained so that you won't be having a hard time finding one.
When Applying for a License, You Need To...
- Decide what category of lift truck you want to operate - This will determine what type of course you need to attend when you enroll in the training course.
- Choose a training provider. The directory of training providers or schools ibn Ontario are listed below for your reference. Select the one that offers a course which meets or exceeds the regulations set by the Canadian Standards Association (CSA). The latest regulation is Safety Standard B335-15 issued in June 2015.
- Attend the classroom training. Just like any other course you had attended in the past, you need to attend the classroom lectures. This will help you understand many aspects with regards to safety, maintenance, operations and current preveiling regulations.
- Attend the hands-on or actual demonstration. Have you remembered the time when you first applied for a driver’s license? You need to prove your skills driving the car. Forklift practice driving is very much the same, this is where you can practice your skills operating forklift under the supervision of the instructor.
- The final stage is the evaluation. At this part, the instructor will administer a written exam to measure the knowledge you have gained from classroom training. You will also take the performance evaluation where the trainer will assess your practical skills in the actual operation of the truck. Pass both tests and you are assured of receiving your certification.
- Receive your certificate and license card. These are your confirmation that you have adequately completed the course. You can show these documents to a prospective employer when applying for a job. The certification will last for three years, from which you need to take recertification after it lapses.
Forklift Training Schools in Ontario
Here's is the list of companies in the area that provide training. You can read also our article about how to choose the best school to enroll.
- L.I.F.T. Training - 6130 Tomken Road, Mississauga, ON L5T 1X7, (905) 461-0039
- Tri-County Training - 480 Waydom Drive, Ayr, Ontario N0B 1E0, (519) 653-1700
- 1 (800) 265-0400
- Ontario Equipment and Training Center - Visit website for more info: www.forklifttrainingontario.com
- Offers online training in accordance to I-CAB standard, license can be printed upon successful course completion and skills evaluation. The assessment passing mark for counterbalance lift truck training is 80% set by this company.
- Liftow - 4180 Sladeview Crescent, Unit #3, Mississauga, 21 Keefer Court, Hamilton, ON
- 5350 Brendan Lane, Windsor, Ontario, 1-866-465-4386, www.liftow.com
- Occupational Safety Group - 3330 Dingman Drive, London, ON, Canada, 519.850.4000, 519.850.1020
- Lucas Lift Truck Services Ltd. - Contact: Krista Butler, 905-227-3291 ext 242, www.starkecanada.com
- Superior Forklift Training - 1235 East Francis St., Ontario, CA, 1-866-992-7774 or 1-909-474-2418
- Lift Line Machinery Ltd. - 495 Prince Charles Dr S., Welland, 905.788.0971, www.liftline.ca
- Safety Guys - 3o Steve Fonyo Drive Unit 200-1, Kingston, 613-549-6941
- Mega City Training - 416-335-5551(North York), 147 Norfinch Dr Unit #3, Toronto
- Corporate Training Services (Durham College) - 1610 Champlain Ave., Whitby, 905.721.3347 or 1.800.816.3615
- Labor Tek Safety Training Inc. - 1370 Triole, Ottawa, (613)741-1128, (613)741-1130, www.labortek.com
- Durham Truck & Forklift Driving School Ltd - 1099 Kingston Rd. Unit 244,Pickering, 1(877) 770-5529, (905) 492-7500
- BNR Online Training - 16 Rembrandt Drive, Grimsby, www.bnr-online-training.com, 1-866-997-8880
- City Truck and Forklift Driving School - 7003, Steeles Avenue West, Unit # 9, Toronto, (416) 749-9449, (416) 289-3446
- Canadian Forklift Training Centre - 7270 Torbram Road, Unit #5, Brampton, Serving also Mississauga area, 905-673-7300
- Industrial Safety Trainers Inc. - 219 Saunders Rd, Barrie, 1-800-219-8660, (705) 792-6619, www.thesafetybus.com
- Martin’s Lift Truck Services - 519-773-5913, www.martinslifttruck.com
- Algonquin Safety Training - 480 Cassells Street, North Bay, (705) 223 0120, www.algsafety.ca
- Johnston Equipment Ltd - 5990 Avebury Road, Mississauga, (905) 712-6002
- Hansler Industries Limited - 340 Jamieson Bone Road, Belleville, 613-966-5234, 613-966-0686
- Also serves Mississauga, Brockville, Ottawa, Winnipeg areas
- The Learning Enrichment Foundation - 116 Industry St or 1267 Weston Rd or 55 Emmet Ave., 416-760-2551, 416-769-0830
- Nevarez Forklift Certifications - 1352 W. 5th Street, Unit H14, Ontario, (909) 560-0665
- CN Forklift Training Center - Unit 4,7033 Telford Way, Mississauga, (905)-405-0001, (905)-405-0006
- CanLift Equipment Ltd. - 1875 Wharncliffe Rd. S London, 1-877-499-2096, 905-681-5438
- Safe-Tech Training Inc. - 31 Parr Blvd, Unit B, Bolton, 416.410.1855, 1.877.410.1855
- FTT Ltd. - 3000 Garden Street, Suite 202, Whitby, 416.298.6093, 1.800.689.5153
- Herc Rentals - P: (416) 679-4154; F: (416) 679-4157; M: (416) 389-4818; 35 Claireville Drive, Etobicoke, Ontario M9W 5Z7
526 Vidal Street South, Sarnia, Ontario N7T 2V6; 500 Collier MacMillian Drive, Cambridge, Ontario N1R 6R5; 26 Royce Court, London, Ontario N6E 1L1; 2418 Barton Street East, Hamilton, Ontario L8E 2W7; 15 Terry Fox Drive, Kingston, Ontario K7M7K5; 860 Belfast Road, Ottawa, Ontario K1G 0Z6
What should be covered in the course...
According to Ontario MOL, the company’s internal safety policy and training schools course coverage should deal with the areas on these following topics:
- Forklift regular inspection
- Maintenance and repairs of lift truck
- Periodic provision of sufficient training of operators to ensure skill and expertise
- Loading and unloading procedures for safe operation
- Safekeeping of training records and evidence of certification
- Current laws and regulation impacting the operation of powered industrial truck
Penalty for Driving Forklift Without a Certification
Penalty of individual without proper license could reach to $25,000 with at least 1 year of imprisonment. The law requires you to pay the fine and not by the company. While the employer can also be penalized the same and could be fined for $500,000. Immediate manager and superiors up to the CEO could also be panelized as well.
Salary of Forklift Operator in Ontario
The hourly wage of lift truck drivers here in Ontario ranges C$11.50 - C$19.67 and overtime rate of C$24.57 according to payscale.com
The wage rate applies whether you are experienced or beginner driver.
For more information and guidance regulations, you browse the topics on the left side bar.
Other Cities and Towns of Ontario
Amherstburg, Arnprior, Aurora, Bracebridge, Bradford West Gwillimbury, Caledon, Whitchurch-Stouffville, Tecumseh, Richmond Hill, Oakville, Orangeville, Lincoln, Newmarket, Milton, New Tecumseth, Cobourg, Collingwood, Whitby, East Gwillimbury, Kingsville, Lakeshore, Erin, Fort Erie, Georgina, Innisfil, Gravenhurst, Greater Napanee, Grimsby, Huntsville, Hawkesbury, Halton Hills, Barrie, Belleville, Brampton, Brant, Brantford, Brockville, Burlington, Cambridge, Clarence-Rockland, Cornwall, Dryden, Elliot Lake, Greater Sudbury, Guelph, Haldimand County, Hamilton, Kawartha Lakes, Kenora, Kingston, Kitchener, London, Markham, Niagara Falls, Norfolk County, North Bay, Orillia, Oshawa, Owen Sound, Pembroke, Peterborough, Pickering, Port Colborne, Prince Edward County, Quinte West, Sarnia, Sault Ste. Marie, St. Catharines, St. Thomas, Stratford, Temiskaming Shores, Thorold, Thunder Bay, Timmins, Vaughan, Waterloo, Welland, Windsor, Woodstock, Ajax