Do you like to pursue a career in material handling as a forklift operator in Maryland? Getting your forklift certification is the right approach to prepare yourself for your next job. A certified forklift operator can make an hourly rate that ranges from $14.00 to $16.00.
If you are interested in getting into this profession, you need to take your training course to be certified.
Where? How? How Much? We will try to answer those questions here in this guide.
Obtaining Your Forklift Certification
- The training should be specific to the type of forklift you will be operating. Therefore, before enrolling in for a course, know the type of forklift you are intending to use.
- Enroll in the training course. The list of training schools is listed below for your reference.
- The trainee should undergo the theoretical lectures and actual forklift operation. The lectures usually last for 8 hours and the actual forklift operation can last for 6 hours, depending on the exhibited skill of the operator during this operation.
- The trainer or school will print the certificate of training completion to be issued to the trainee, the trainee will also be given a certification card.
- You can present these documents during job application or show to your current employer confirming your competency.
- The certification expires three years and the trainee must retake the training for the purpose of certification renewal.
The role of the employers is to provide forklift training to all operators as per OSHA guidelines. The training could be done at employer’s location or training schools own facility. Either way, the trainer must conduct the certification in accordance with OSHA standards.
There are circumstances that operator must be recertified or retrained, cases such as: if the operator is involved in an accident and if he was observed operating the truck in an unsafe way.
Forklift Training Schools in Maryland
- Horizon Goodwill Industries - 14515 Pennsylvania Avenue, Hagerstown, MD 21742, Phone: (301) 733-7330, Fax: (301) 739-7144
- Safe Steps Training, LLC - (252) 474 - 4626, (252) 944 - 6092
- ABC Baltimore - 1220B E. Joppa Rd., Suite 322 Towson, MD 21286, Phone: 410-821-0351
- ToyotaLift Northeast - 7495 Race Road, Suite B, Hanover, Phone: (410) 379-9560, Fax: (410) 379-9578
- Eastern Lift Truck Co., Inc. - 2211 Sulphur Spring Rd, Arbutus, MD, +1 410-247-8844, (888) 779-5438 x913
- McCall Handling Co - 8801 Wise Ave #200, Dundalk, MD, +1 410-388-2600
- MATTHAI Material Handling - 1405 Tangier Drive, Suite A,Baltimore, 410-344-1801
- Mid Atlantic OTI Education Center - 2555 Lord Baltimore Drive, Suites N-R, Baltimore, MD 21244, 1-877-700-6212
- Atlantic Lift Truck, Inc. - 3051-B Washington Blvd., Baltimore, 410.644.7777 or 1.800.638.4566, FAX: 410.644.6753
- Chesapeake Region Safety Council - 2555 Lord Baltimore Drive, Suite N-R, Baltimore, 1-800-875-4770
- Alliance Material Handling - 8320 Sherwick Court, Jessup, Maryland 20794, +1 410-644-7777
- CFE Equipment Corporation - 8325 Patuxent Range Road, Suite D, Jessup, MD 20794, Phone: (301) 575-0818, Fax: (301) 575-0819
- Total Equipment Training - Baltimore, MD, (610) 321-2679
- Alliance Material Handling - 8320 Sherwick Ct, Jessup, MD, 20794, 866-264-5438
- Raymond - Werres Corporation - 807 East South Street, Frederick, P:800-638-6563
- Maryland New Directions - 2700 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218, 410-230-0630
- Larry T. Weiss Co, Inc. - 7011 Troy Hill Drive, Elkridge, 800.997.7205
- Maryland Industrial Trucks - 1330 West Nursery Rd, Linthicum, Toll Free: (800) 481-5439
- Horizon Goodwill Industries - 14515 Pennsylvania Avenue, Hagerstown, (301) 733-7330
- North American Trade School Baltimore - 6901 Security Blvd. Ste. 16, 800-638-5490
- Hagerstown Community College - 11400 Robinwood Drive, Hagerstown, 240-500-2000
- Frederick Community College - 7932 Opossumtown Pike, Frederick, 301.846.2400
- Prince George’s Community College – 301 Largo Rod., Largo, Maryland, +1 301-546-7422
- North American Trade Schools - Security Square, 6901 Security Blvd, Windsor Mill, MD, +1 800-638-5490
- Harford Community College - 401 Thomas Run Rd, Bel Air, +1 443-412-2000
- Cecil College - One Seahawk Drive, North East, MD 21901, +1 410-287-1000
- Community College of Baltimore County - Tel: 443.840.CCBC
- Baltimore City Community College - 2901 Liberty Heights Avenue, 410-462-8300
- Loyola University Maryland - 4501 N. Charles Street, 410-617-2000
- Garrett College - 687 Mosser Road McHenry, MD 21541, (301) 387-3044
- Cecil College - One Seahawk Drive, North East, MD 21901, (410) 287-1000
Forklift Training Requirements
- A trainee must not be younger than the legal age of 18 years old. The employer can only hire workers at this age.
- An applicant may be required to present his valid driver’s license
- Having an experience operating forklift can definitely give an edge to get accepted into the training and actual employment.
- The trainee is preferred to have at least eighth-grade reading competency.
- High school diploma or GED completion.
What’s Your Future as a Certified Forklift Operator?
In Maryland, an operator can make as much as $39,096 on average yearly. Employers can pay more depending on the volume of work, business progress and skill level of the worker.
Here are the cities and towns of Maryland that offer the high salary for forklift operators according to the February 26, 2021 survey of Salary.com:
|$42,135 - Accokeek||$42,021 - Madison|
|$42,198 - Andrews Air Force Base||$42,211 - Mount Rainier|
|$42,110 - Ashton||$40,534 - Newark|
|$42,198 - Beltsville||$40,983 - North Beach|
|$42,211 - Bladensburg||$42,122 - Olney|
|$42,110 - Brandywine||$40,406 - Oxford|
|$42,211 - Brentwood||$41,790 - Point of Rocks|
|$42,097 - Brookeville||$42,046 - Pomfret|
|$42,135 - Burtonsville||$42,160 - Rockville|
|$42,211 - Chevy Chase||$40,421 - Salisbury|
|$42,173 - Clinton||$42,185 - Southern MD Facility|
|$42,211 - District Heights||$42,135 - Spencerville|
|$42,185 - Fort Washington||$42,173 - Suburb Maryland Fac|
|$42,097 - Gaithersburg||$39,966 - Templeville|
|$42,160 - Glenn Dale||$41,641 - Tuscarora|
|$42,059 - Indian Head||$42,098 - Waldorf|
|$42,122 - Laurel||$40,244 - Wittman|
In Pennsylvania, the neighboring state, the average wage of a forklift driver is a bit lower.
If you have complaints, clarifications regarding wage and benefits, licensing details, you can check governing offices:
Maryland Department of Labor
500 North Calvert Street #401 Baltimore, MD 21202
U.S. Department of Labor-OSHA
1099 Winterson Road, Suite 140
Linthicum, Maryland 21090
Phone: (410) 865-2055/2056
Cities and Towns of MD
Columbia, Germantown, Silver Spring, Waldorf, Frederick, Ellicott City, Glen Burnie, Gaithersburg, Rockville, Dundalk, Bethesda, Bowie, Towson, Aspen Hill, Wheaton, North Bethesda, Bel Air South, Potomac, Severn, Catonsville, Hagerstown, Woodlawn Cdp, Annapolis, Clinton, Odenton, Severna Park, Essex, Chillum, Olney, Randallstown, Montgomery Village, Owings Mills, Salisbury, College Park, Pikesville, Eldersburg, Parkville, Bel Air North, Milford Mill, Perry Hall, Carney, Crofton, Reisterstown, Middle River, Edgewood, Laurel, Lochearn, South Laurel, Pasadena, Ilchester, Greenbelt, Suitland, Fairland, Fort Washington, North Potomac, Arnold, Landover, North Laurel, Arbutus, Langley Park, Cockeysville, Cumberland, Camp Springs, Lake Shore, Rosedale, Oxon Hill, Westminster, Ferndale, Hyattsville, Calverton, Ballenger Creek, Glassmanor, White Oak, Takoma Park, Beltsville, Redland, Seabrook, Parole, Maryland City, Elkridge, Easton, East Riverdale, Clarksburg, Adelphi, Elkton, Hillcrest Heights, Aberdeen, Cloverly, Glenmont, Rossville, Damascus, Colesville, Brooklyn Park, Glenn Dale, Havre de Grace, Kettering, Joppatowne, Riviera Beach, New Carrollton, Lexington Park, Cambridge, Overlea, California, Bensville, Travilah, Summerfield, Mays Chapel, Kemp Mill, Forestville, Rosaryville, Annapolis Neck, Lake Arbor, Walker Mill, Mitchellville, Accokeek, Ocean Pines, Halfway, Linthicum, Brock Hall, Chesapeake Ranch Estates, Largo, Timonium, Coral Hills, Bel Air Town, Lanham, Marlboro Village, Urbana, Friendly, North Kensington, Fort Meade, White Marsh, Bladensburg, Marlton, Chevy Chase, Mount Airy, Scaggsville, Edgewater, Linganore, La Plata, Leisure World, Fallston, Cape St. Claire, Brandywine, Lansdowne, Frostburg, Mayo, Burtonsville, Four Corners, Mount Rainier, South Kensington, Edgemere, Garrison, Temple Hills, Bryans Road, Jessup, Woodlawn, Robinwood, Forest Glen, Riverdale Park, Westphalia, Riverside, Baltimore Highlands, Ocean City, Darnestown, Taneytown, Shady Side, Cheverly, Lutherville, Thurmont, Bowleys Quarters, Stevensville, Hampstead, Glenarden, District Heights, Savage, Brunswick, Walkersville, Spring Ridge, Chesapeake Beach, Hillandale, Fountainhead-Orchard Hills, Marlow Heights, Ashton-Sandy Spring, Naval Academy, Silver Hill, Fairwood, Fruitland, Poolesville, Chestertown, Layhill, Deale, Cresaptown, Hampton, Friendship Heights Village, Manchester, Peppermill Village, Seat Pleasant, Centreville, West Ocean City, Capitol Heights, Berlin, Chester, Kingsville, Middletown, Perryville, Sykesville, West Laurel, Denton, Pocomoke City, Riva, Woodmore, Indian Head, Huntingtown, Golden Beach, National Harbor, Brookmont, North East, Leonardtown, Marlboro Meadows, Boonsboro, Pleasant Hills, Jarrettsville, Grasonville, Andrews AFB, St. James, Princess Anne, Berwyn Heights, Prince Frederick, Brentwood, Springdale, La Vale, Maugansville, Delmar, Croom, Emmitsburg, Smithsburg, Chevy Chase Town, Drum Point, Rising Sun, Owings, Melwood, Konterra, University Park, Federalsburg, Crisfield, Adamstown, Gambrills, Perryman, Forest Heights, Hughesville, Braddock Heights, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Paramount-Long Meadow, Herald Harbor, Dunkirk, Kensington, Arden on the Severn, Jefferson, Derwood, Williamsport, Cabin John, Wilson-Conococheague, Fulton, Mountain Lake Park, Snow Hill and Morningside, Crownsville, Chevy Chase Village, Long Beach, Hurlock, North Beach, Baden, Potomac Park, Kingstown, Oakland, Greensboro, Solomons, Landover Hills, Westernport, Queensland