Renting a forklift can be a really good idea especially when you don’t have to plan to own this equipment. Most companies don’t have the budget to buy their own forklifts, so they rent.
We know that it can be hard to find reliable information on how to rent a forklift in Ohio. That's why we created this article as a guide for everything you need in order to know how and where to rent a forklift.
Also, we will go over what you need to consider when renting a forklift so that you can find the perfect option for your needs.
You will also find below the list of rental companies you can contact so that you would not have a hard time finding one in your area.
With this article, we made everything straightforward for ease, you don’t have to spend a lot of time and effort on how to go over it.
When Renting, Please Do the following or At Least Aware of What You Need
- Plan ahead is the very first step – do so enables you to make an inventory of pieces of equipment you need for that particular period, this on the other gives you ample time to talk to a rental company to make reservations of equipment.
- Let the rental company know what are your plans are – so that they can determine what exactly you need for your projects. Things like lifting capacity, attachments, wheel type, fuel source are important technical details that need to ascertain so that you get the best rental forklift for your application. See below for the list of rental companies in Ohio.
- When signing a rental agreement, browse through all the details – make sure you read your responsibilities as a renter, beware of the hidden charges that may appear in the agreement, and be sure that rental rates you and the company agreed upon is reflected in that paper.
- Offloading and delivery – even you have the capability to transport the equipment to your site, it is still a better option to let the rental company do that for you. They have technical people who are specialized in doing that activity. This is to avoid damage to the equipment while being transported or offloaded.
You will need the following:
- A valid ID – a government-issued or state-issued ID is what the rental company preferred you to have.
- A credit card with your name on it – if your name is not the same one on the card, the company may not accept it. Likewise, some companies do not accept checks or cash as a mode of payment.
When Do You Really Need a Rental Forklift
- During a seasonal period, companies will rent forklifts in order to meet their needs. Most businesses have a peak of workload at certain times of the year, and that is when they need an extra boost. For example, during the holiday season warehouses may have a rush on merchandise. Forklift rental services give them what they need to get the work done.
- When a specialized kind of machine is needed, companies will rent forklifts. Some products require specialty equipment in order to move them. A company may not have this type of equipment that they need for their workload to complete the task at hand. An example would be a project with dangerous chemicals, and oversized machinery or goods that must be moved quickly are going to hire specialized services equipment is needed for a project
- Let’s say there are two machines in your company: Machine A and Machine B. They have both been providing good service to the company but you want to see if there is a new machine out on the market that can do better. You want to test it, before making a decision of purchasing it.
Things to Consider When Renting a Forklift
Once you decide you want to rent a forklift, there are a few things to take note of:
- Weight capacity – is important to consider because you would not want to get forklift that would not be able to lift the heaviest materials you want to intend it to carry.
- Lift height – the lift height is another factor to take note of; it is the maximum height the forklift is able to reach.
- Road or surface condition where it will be operated - forklift can be used indoor in smooth surfaces or outdoor in rugged terrain or muddy places. Thus, it needs the right type of tires in order to operate in those conditions.
- Well of course, your budget – renting a forklift is an economical way to run the business, but you have to determine how much you’re willing to spend for a particular piece of equipment so that unnecessary fees can’t add up.
- Whether you need a short or long-term rental – if you need the equipment for long term, then you can have the power to make a negotiation with the rental company to lower the rates; however, in short term, you may not have this leverage.
Forklift Rental Companies in Ohio
Looking for a rental company in the state of Ohio, here are your choices:
- United Rentals
44691 State Route 14 Columbiana, OH 44408
18417 State Route 7, Mariettan, OH 45750-8507
- Buckeye Forklift
250 South Jefferson Ave, Plain City, OH, 43064
- Herc Rentals Inc.
523 Stimmel Rd, Columbus, OH 43223
- ABC Equipment Rental & Sales
38525 Chester Road, Avon, OH 44011
29 Pearl Road, Brunswick, OH 44212
- Martin Industrial Truck Inc.
13811 Enterprise Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44135
Phone: (216) 362-8500
- GM Equipment Corporation
1800 Walcutt Rd Columbus, OH 43228
Toll Free: 1-877-GM1-LIFT (1-877-461-5438)
- DEL Lift Rentals & Sales. All rights reserved.
7891 Southern Blvd. Boardman, OH 44512
- HIGHLIFT EQUIPMENT LTD
125 Citycentre Dr, Cincinnati, OH 45216
5319 Butterbridge Rd NW, Canal Fulton, OH 44614
- Skyworks LLC
755 US Route 50, Milford, OH 45150
26501 Baker Drive, Perrysburg, OH 43551
- Tuffman Equipment & Supply
6760 Milan Rd.
Sandusky, OH 44870
501 U.S. Route 20 East, Norwalk, OH 44857
- RentEquip Inc.
1976 Medina Road Medina, Ohio 44256
- Handy Rents
35571 Vine St, Eastlake, OH 44095
5822 Mayfield Rd, Mayfield Heights, OH 44124
4775 Oberlin Ave., Lorain, OH 44053
- Rental Stop Ohio
35 S Galena Rd B, Sunbury, OH 43074
- Towlift Inc.
- Valley Industrial Trucks
1152 Meadowbrook Ave., Youngstown, OH 44512
1620 East Market St., Akron, OH 44305
- Fallsway Equipment
2773 Salt Springs Road
Youngstown, OH 44509
1277 DeValera Avenue
Akron, OH 44310
- Mid-Ohio Forklifts
1336 Home Avenue, Akron, OH 44310
(800) 638-1230, (330) 633-1230
Some Tips When Renting
How can you be sure that your company is making the best decisions about renting forklifts? What are some of the questions to ask and what are some of the important factors to consider when looking for a forklift rental company? Here are some of the tips:
When looking for rental companies, keep an eye out for the following features: availability during peak times (e.g., Christmas), reliability (e.g., 24/7 service), insurance coverage (some companies provide it as an add-on), plus they also have a variety of models available at different price points so there.
Inquiring with one company is not enough, you have to survey further other companies so that they can meet all three criteria above.
How to Protect Yourself in the Event of Loss or Damage
You may have noticed that we've already given you a few tips for renting a forklift in Ohio. But here are some more, just to make sure you're well-prepared – have insurance.
Apply for Rental Equipment Protection (REP), with this, you will not be held responsible as a renter for the damage or loss of the equipment, the REP will protect you. However, availing of this comes with added costs. If you’re going to ask me, having REP is advantageous for both of you, the renter, and the rental company.
Other forms of insurance can also protect you. It is also a requirement that you have to cover the rental equipment for insurance. The rental company may have their own internal insurance you can avail. Talk to the company about what form of insurance they offer for their clients.
To Make a Conclusion
If you need a forklift to help with your business, don't hesitate to rent, find a rental company in your location.
Renting a forklift is an important process to get right. It's also not always easy because there are so many things to consider to make a decision.
With this article, we hope we’ve enlightened you to find the best solution for your needs.