Accidents involving forklift operation are prevalent in Victoria, Australia. These machineries post inherent danger in the workplace both for the people around and property of the business. Being a licenced forklift operator minimizes the hazard, near misses and property damage.
Who need to have forklift licence:
People who operate forklift with no prior licence
Those with expired certificate of competency
Those with current licence but in old format
Those who do not hold a High Risk Work licence intending to apply for a forklift driving job.
If you don’t have the licence yet, here’s the guide to help you undergo the application process.
Forklift Licence Application
- Before you enquire for a forklift course, you need to complete the RTO training requirements, listed below.
- Find an RTO that provide training suitable to your needs. If you’re an employer who are looking for an RTO to conduct training for your workers, list of RTO in Victoria is below. Training cost differs, check with RTO website.
- Undertake RTO formal classroom instruction and complete required hours of forklift operation (practical training). RTO can conduct training course on their facility or on your own workplace. See below the topics to discuss.
- Book for the RTO written examination and assessment. It should be done 2 day after you completed the training course.
- After passing the exam and attaining satisfactory assessment, you will be issued with statement of attainment and notice of assessment (it is an interim TLILIC2001A – Licence to operate a forklift truck or TLILIC2002A – Licence to Operate an Order Picker, which one you applied.)
- Bring these documents together with 100 points of evidence of identity, present passport type photo, and AU$60 payment to Australia Post for processing of WorkSafe photographic licence.
- The licence will be issued to you 3 weeks after application. The licence is valid for 5 years.
Basic Training Requirements
- Candidate must be 18 years above
- Must have Unique Student Identifier (USI)
- Driver’s licence is optional
- Resident of Australia
- Must wear proper PPEs during the training course
- Identifications such as passport, birth card, Medicare card, and others proving your age and address.
- Knowledgeable in English language
Registered Training Organisations (RTO) in Vic, Australia
Enrolling for course with RTO can be done online, it’s quick and easy, visit RTO websites.
Here the certified RTOs in Victorian territory:
- Go Workplace Training
- Foresite Training and Licensing
- Barkly Training School
- MultiSkills Training
- Set Solutions
- Advanced Forklift Licences & Training
- Fore Site
- Arms Strong Drivre Education
- Star Training and Assessing
- Australia Wide Forklift Training Centre Pty. Ltd.
- Transqual Logistics Training
- Coastes Hire
- TDT Training Australia
- Bellpark Training
- AGB Training
- A Grade Motor School
- OHS Rep @ Work
- Rosborough Services
- Yugo Driving School
- Wodonga Tafe
- ATTA Quality Training Services
- Leavitt Machinery
- Advanced Forklift Licences and Training
- CTM Training Solution
- Forklift Licence Testing Service
- Ace Assessment and Training
- WAM Training
- Aust-Link Pty. Ltd.
- Ausfork Training Pty Ltd
- Campbellfield Forklift Training Centre
- Cove Training
- Journey Management Group
- On-Site Forklift Training & Testing
Forklift Training Curriculum may include the following subjects:
The objective of the in-class training is to provide students with vital knowledge and skills to operate forklift compliance with current WorkSafe Victorian Standards. These includes, but not limited to the following:
- Work planning
- WorkSafe Legislation
- Machine components
- Safe work practices
- Risk analysis
Certain number of hours is required to complete this phase of the course. The assessor will discuss everything to you and he will supervise the training.
- Regular pre-check of forklift truck
- Preparation of work
- Shifting of load safely
- Moving of materials at height
- Balanced and proper stacking
- Emergency measures
- Post operation check
- Shutting down of machine
Forklift Licence Renewal
60 days before expiration of licence, holder will receive notice and renewal package from WorkSafe.
The applicant must produce evidence that he maintained his forklift operation competency.
Completed application form and renewal notice.
Must submit necessary requirements and lodge them to Australia Post.
Pay the required fee.
Visit the WorkSafe Victoria www.worksafe.vic.gov.au and learn more details.