Employers in Utah are looking for candidates with readied forklift certification prior to hiring. Your skill is very much needed in construction sites, cold storage, warehousing, docks, ports and in logistical businesses. The operator can get recertified during employment, it is being done periodically to test their proficiency.
In March 1999 OSHA issued a standard that affects the safety of forklift operators in the workplace. It stated that an employer must utilize and employ a certification program to protect the welfare and safety of the operators.
It’s the employer’s responsibility to provide the certification. The training must be conducted by an in-house trainer who’s capable to deliver such training.
How is the Forklift Certification Carried Out?
The certification must contain formal training (classroom), practical demonstration (driving) and evaluation, all of these must be provided in order to ensure proficiency in the use of forklift trucks.
Regular evaluation of every three must also be done to ensure skill and competency. And a refresher course must be given if found such inefficiency.
If you do not have such trainer, you can take the training from an outside source. You can take the course at the training school.
Here are some of the training guides that may help you:
- How to Become a Certified Forklift Operator?
- Where Can You Go to Get Your Forklift License?
- Requirements You Need Before Taking the Training
- Will the Employer Train the Forklift Operators?
Forklift Training Schools in Utah
The training school will issue you the certificate of course completion and a license card. These are your confirmation that you’ve successfully completed the training from them.
- Advantage Training Solutions - Salt Lake City, Phone: 801-389-3000
- Utah Safety Council - 1574 West 1700 South, Suite 2A, Salt Lake City, Phone: 801.746.7233
- The Safety Consortium - 400 West Lawndale Drive, Salt Lake City, UT 84115, Phone: 801.746.2462, Fax: 801.803.6266
- IVES Training Group - 400 Lawndale Dr, Salt Lake City, Tel:+1 800-643-1144
- Dillon Toyota Lift - 2640 W. California Avenue, Salt Lake City, P 801.972.1930, F 801.972.1964, T 800.624.2729
- Welch Equipment Company - 2181 South 3200 West, Salt Lake City, (801) 972-9272
- Crown Lift Trucks - 3143 South 1030 West, South Salt Lake, Fax: 801-887-7620
- Sunstate - 1261 West 300 South, Lindon, P:(801) 364-4408, F:(801) 785-6360
- Tek Equipment Company - Salt Lake City, (801) 975-7773
- Sunstate Equipment Company - 2051 N. Redwood Road, Salt Lake City, UT 84116, (801) 364-4408
- H&E Equipment Services - 4319 S River Rd, St. George, Toll Free: 866-GO-RENTAL, Local: 435-674-2994
- Utah Safety Council Training Center - 1574 W 1700 S, Salt Lake City, (801) 746-7233
- Help Side - 395 W 600 N, Lindon, Call: (801) 443-1090, Toll free: 1-800-748-5102
- AGC Training Center - 1260 South 3600 West, Salt Lake City, 801.363.2753
- Salt Lake Community College - 4600 South Redwood Road, Salt Lake City, UT 84123, 801-957-SLCC (7522)
- Ogden-Weber Technical College - 200 N Washington Blvd, Ogden, 801-627-8300
- Bridgerland Technical College - 1301 North 600 West, Logan, UT 84321, Toll Free: 866-701-1100, Local: 435-753-6780
The cost of the forklift license varies from school to school, you may contact one of the school to make an inquiry.
Here are some of the answer to your frequently asked questions:
- How to Choose the Best Forklift Training School to Enroll At?
- How to Pass the Forklift Practical Exam?
- How to Pass the Forklift Training Written Exam?
- Can You Retake The Forklift Training Test If You Failed?
- How Much Does It Cost You to Get a Forklift License?
- How Long Does It Take to Complete the Training?
This is an excellent and effective mean of training delivery. The curriculum can be revised to correspond to the classes of forklifts being used, the situation of the workplace, and the behavior of the PIT operators.
The company can retain a training record of all personnel who received training from an in-house instructor. The file record must contain the name of the operator, date of training, and the name of the instructor. The record can be maintained to assure you can comply with the law. You can let OSHA representative see the record when their inspector visited company premises.
At a minimum, these are the general subjects that must be included in the certification course, however, other topics may be incorporated.
- Forklift Inspection
- Loading Practices – safe handling of loads, proper stacking and de-stacking.
- Operating Convention – pedestrian traffic, safe distance, vision obstruction, correct speed, stopping in a safe manner
- Load Capacity – estimation and computation of load
- Load Stacking and Piling
- Forklift Precaution when the machine is not in use
- Hazardous material
- Recharging and Refueling of forklift – proper handling of battery and combustible fuel
- Proper parking of the machine
The employer can supply other topics that may be necessary. The site-specific topics must be included. There are many types of the forklift may be in use in the company, the certification course should be specific to the type of forklift.
How Much Does Forklift Operator Make in Utah?
The average annual salary of forklift operators working in this state is $35,925. This is figure is according to the latest report of Salary.com. But it typically falls between the range of $31,890 - $40,872.
You can receive greater pay when you have the certification. You can get a full-time job as a forklift driver if you completed a certification course.
According to Salary.com's February 26, 2021 report, here are the cities of Utah that offer the wage for forklift operators.
|$36,430 - Alton||$36,002 - Magna|
|$38,165 - Beryl||$36,430 - Mount Carmel|
|$38,165 - Brian Head||$36,034 - North Salt Lake|
|$35,969 - Centerville||$35,128 - Ogden|
|$38,165 - Dammeron Valley||$36,193 - Parowan|
|$35,771 - Draper||$38,165 - Pine Valley|
|$36,430 - Duck Creek Village||$36,034 - Salt Lake City|
|$35,837 - Farmington||$35,936 - Sandy|
|$36,430 - Glendale||$35,870 - South Jordan|
|$38,165 - Gunlock||$38,165 - Veyo|
|$35,694 - Hatch||$35,903 - West Jordan|
|$36,430 - Hildale||$36,034 - Woods Cross|
|$34,996 - Layton||$38,165 - Washington|
If you want to know how much does forklift operator by state and city, See the salary matrix here.
Contacting the Authorities
If you want guidance regarding employment, forklift certification, and career development, you may contact concerning offices:
Department of Workforce Service
P.O. Box 143245
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-3245
OSHA - Utah
160 East 300 South, 3rd Floor
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-6600
Cities of UT
Salt Lake City, West, Valley, Provo, West, Jordan, Orem, Sandy, Ogden, St., George, Layton, Taylorsville, South, Jordan, Logan, Lehi, Murray, Bountiful, Draper, Riverton, Roy, Spanish, Fork, Pleasant, Grove, Cottonwood, Heights, Tooele, Clearfield, Springville, Cedar, Midvale, Kaysville, Holladay, American, Fork, Syracuse, South, Herriman, Eagle, Mountain, Clinton, Washington, Payson, Farmington, Brigham, Saratoga, Springs, North, Ogden, South, Ogden, North, Highland, Centerville, Hurricane, Heber, West, Haven, Lindon, Cedar, Hills, Woods, Cross, Alpine, West, Point, Smithfield, Santaquin, Vernal, Washington, Terrace, Grantsville, Price, Riverdale, North, Logan, Mapleton, Pleasant, View, Tremonton, Hyrum, Bluffdale, Park, Richfield, Hooper, Providence, Ivins, Salem, Ephraim, South, Weber, Roosevelt, Santa, Clara, Farr, West, Enoch, Harrisville, Plain, Nibley, Nephi, West, Bountiful, Sunset, Moab, Fruit, Heights, Perry, Kanab, La, Verkin, Midway, Hyde, Park, Morgan, Delta, Wellsville, Blanding, Gunnison, Manti, Mount, Pleasant, Beaver, Parowan, Hildale, Salina, Richmond, Elk, Ridge, Fillmore, Garland, Monroe, Helper, Huntington, Monticello, Millville, Kamas, Willard, Lewiston, Naples, River, Heights, Enterprise, Marriott-Slaterville, Duchesne, Wellington, Castle, Dale, Ferron,, Mona,, Panguitch