Employers in the state Virginia stick to the OSHA Safety Rule 29 CFR 1910.178 that protects the welfare of all forklift operators in the workplace. There’s a huge risk glued to it when operating forklift especially when it is handled by an untrained individual. That’s the reason why this OSHA rule is created. It instructs all employers to set up a safety training program for the certification of their forklift drivers to become properly trained.
An operator without proper certification can pose a risk to the safety of himself and the workers around him. He’s as dangerous as a driver without a license.
The initial step for landing your sought-after job or promotion is to get forklift certified, here's how to do and where to take it:
- How to Get Certified Operating Forklift?
- How to Pass The Forklift Training Practical Test?
- How to Pass the Written Test?
- How Long Does the Training Take to Finish?
- If You Are Employed, It Is Your Employer's Obligation to Train You
How Do You Get Forklift Certification?
As per OSHA standard, (a) formal education, (b) practical test and an (c) evaluation must form part of the training course.
You can be trained by your company's safety instructor, you can request to your employer for a schedule of forklift training. OSHA states that it’s the company’s duty to provide training to PIT operators.
If you are an individual who is not yet employed, you can go to a training provider in your area. Below, is the list of training schools in Virginia, with addresses and contact numbers. Check with them if they have the schedule available and training program suitable to your requirement.
Before registering for a forklift training program, you must understand that the training course must be precise with the type of truck you want to operate. For more details how to become forklift certified, CLICK HERE.
Here are the requirements you need to know before enrolling, See the requirements here.
For more useful guides, read these:
- Can You Use Your Forklift Licence To Apply for Work in Another Company?
- Can You Use Your Forklift Certification to Work in Other Neighboring State?
- Can You Get Certified and Hired as Forklift Operator If You Have DUI?
- Can You Get Certified Online?
Forklift Training Schools in Virginia
Enrolling for forklift certification course can be as educational as your favorite subject during your high school. Forklift training could be taken in a day. It’s brief yet it is as valuable.
Here’s the training school in the state of Virginia:
- AM Davis Inc. - 3703 Price Club Blvd., Midlothian, VA 23112, Phone: 804-233-0051, Fax: 804-231-0463, Toll Free: 888-737-6492
- CFE Equipment Company - 424 Luck Avenue SW Roanoke, VA 24011, Phone: (540) 981-2222
- McCall Handling Co - 13940 Willard Road, Chantilly, VA 20151, Toll Free: (888) 870-0685, Fax: (703) 817-9877
- Community College Workforce Alliance - Midlothian Center, Phone: (804) 897-7600, Fax: (804) 897-7617
- Eaheart Industrial Service, Inc. - Richmond, Phone: 804-355-7943, Bedford, Phone: 540-587-0270, Chesapeake, Phone: 757-487-5600
- Alliance Material Handling Inc. - 161 Industrial Drive, Winchester, 866-264-5438
- Gregory Poole - 591 Belle Circle, Harrisonburg, (540) 434-3737
- Homestead Materials Handling - LYNCHBURG, (434) 845-4699, (434) 528-3036; VERONA, (540) 248-3600, (540) 248-5173
- Allstate Equipment - 1201 McCloud Road, Chesapeake, 757.545.1900
- United Rentals - 3560 YOUNG PLACE, LYNCHBURG, 434-846-7368
- Southeast Industrial Equipment - 5130 Commerce Rd., Richmond, T: (804) 714-0799, F: (804) 714-0832
- Atlantic Coast Toyotalift - 165 Simmons Dr., Cloverdale, Ph: 540-492-4861, Fax: 336-397-5199
- Herc Rentals - 5529 Wellington Rd., Gainesville, Phone: 703-753-9494
- H&E Equipment Services - 6571 Merchant Pl, Warrenton, Toll Free: 866-GO-RENTAL, Local: 540-349-2878
- Fire & Safety Equipment Company - 7854 Stage Rd., Concord, (434) 993-2425
- Atlantic Lift Systems - 3501 Progress Roadm Norfolk, VA Phone : 757-466-9280
- CARITAS - 1125 Commerce Road, Richmond, (804) 612-1752
- Virginia Tech - 800 Washington Street, SW, Suite 150 Blacksburg, Phone: (540) 231-6277
Forklift license card and certificate of certification will be given to successful trainees. Bring those with you if you hunting for a job or show them to your employer if they asked.
For Renewal of Forklift Certification, here's the process you need to do: Check It Out Here.
How much does a certified forklift operator in Virginia receive?
The last update of the salary is on March 29, 2022, the fgirues are from www.salary.com. The salary of a forklift driver in this state stretches from $34,400 to $44,092 a year. Here are the cities of Virginia that offer high salary:
|$43,209 - Aldie||$40,940 - Hague|
|$43,404 - Alexandria||$38,811 - Hanover|
|$43,209 - Amissville||$43,287 - Herndon|
|$43,209 - Arcola||$38,756 - Hopewell|
|$39,186 - Banco||$43,209 - Lignum|
|$40,940 - Brightwood||$43,404 - Mc Lean|
|$43,339 - Burke||$43,390 - Merrifield|
|$43,248 - Centreville||$43,365 - Mount Vernon|
|$43,287 - Chantilly||$43,352 -Newington|
|$43,274 - Clifton||$43,287 - Occoquan|
|$38,572 - Crewe||$39,444 - Quicksburg|
|$39,493 - Cross Junction||$40,940 - Radiant|
|$43,209 - Delaplane||$43,326 - Reston|
|$43,404 - Dhs||$38,188 - Ruthville|
|$43,352 - Fairfax||$40,940 - Stratford|
|$43,326 - Fairfax Station||$39,444 - Timberville|
|$43,339 - Fort Belvoir||$43,378 - Vienna|
|$43,404 - Fort Myer||$43,404 - West Mclean|
|$38,904 - Glen Allen||$38,576 - Wilsons|
|$39,493 - Gore||$39,186 - Wolftown|
|$39,186 - Graves Mill||$43,248 - Woodbridge|
The wages may show discrepancies across Virginia. This is due to some reasons like the magnitude of the business, the location where you are working, your professional experience, and your skills and education.
You may opt to take a trainer certification course if you are seeking to be your company’s internal instructor, you can receive a higher wage and future promotion.
For more information and details about forklift certification standards, laws, and legislation, you may contact these offices.
Virginia OSHA Offices
Federal Office Building, Room 614
200 Granby Street
Virginia Department of Labor and Industry
Main Street Centre Bldg. 600 East Main Street, Suite 207, Richmond, Virginia Telephone 804.371.2327
Cities of VA
Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Richmond, Newport News, Alexandria,Hampton, Roanoke, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Lynchburg, Harrisonburg, Charlottesville, Danville, Blacksburg, Leesburg, Manassas, Petersburg, Winchester, Salem, Fredericksburg, Staunton, Herndon, Hopewell, Fairfax, Christiansburg, Waynesboro, Bristol, Colonial Heights, Radford, Culpeper, Vienna, Front Royal, Manassas Park, Williamsburg, Martinsville, Falls Church, Poquoson, Warrenton, Pulaski, Franklin, Farmville, Wytheville, Abingdon, South Boston, Vinton, Smithfield, Purcellville, Ashland, Galax, Lexington, Buena Vista,Strasburg, Bedford, Marion, Covington, Emporia, Richlands, Bridgewater, Big Stone Gap, Bluefield, Woodstock, Dumfries, Luray, Rocky Mount, Orange, South Hill, Tazewell, Berryville, Norton, Clifton Forge, Broadway, Blackstone, Colonial Beach, Altavista, Lebanon, West Point, Wise, Chincoteague, Pearisburg, Elkton, Hillsville, Grottoes, Windsor, Dublin, Timberville, Tappahannock, Shenandoah, Chase, Crewe, Amherst, Waverly, New Market, Coeburn, Saltville, Gate, Narrows, Mount Jackson, Stephens, Haymarket, Chilhowie, Pennington Gap, Appalachia, Appomattox, Victoria, Stanley, Lovettsville, Louisa, Dayton, Warsaw