29 CFR 1910.178 OSHA standards make sure that all businesses in Louisiana stick to their responsibility of providing proper certification training for their forklift operators to become competent driving the machine.
If you are an employer who is seeking to provide forklift training for your workers you can hire a trainer to conduct the training on-site, you can also send the workers to a training facility. We strongly recommend to take the first option because of two reasons: on-site training is the most effective method since the trainer can modify the course to suit with workplace condition, the behavior of the operators and type of trucks being driven in the workplace. Likewise, on-site training minimizes work downtime, you don't have to send the operators for a day or two to the training facility it could halt production thus there will less work output.
If you are an individual who is seeking a career in this field, you can take the forklift training at a school. There you will be taught of many important matters about how to operate the truck.
If you are an employer or an individual, you can follow this guide. Below are steps to take to get forklift certification and schools where you can choose to get the training from:
Obtaining Your Forklift License in Louisiana
Employers and workers must adhere to the OSHA regulations that all intending to drive heavy equipment like forklifts must be properly trained, certified and licensed for performing work involving forklift.
Those who are new to this career may find it hard to find a way to get hold of forklift license to comply with the rules. We readied step by step instruction so you can apply as easy as possible.
- Since forklift training should be specific to the type of truck you are planning to operate, you must determine what type of forklift you want to be trained on.
- Select a schedule and enroll for the training. We have prepared a list of training schools and providers in Louisiana, refer to the list below. Here's an article that could help you: How to Choose Training School to Take Training From.
- The training is composed of three parts: classroom theory lectures, hands-on operation, and assessment. The lectures last for 4-8 hours depending on the course you selected; the actual operation of forklift follows, in this part, you are required to accomplish sets of tasks like loading, unloading, moving materials at height, check up, troubleshooting, etc, the task goes on. And the final part is the performance assessment, it is composed written test and trainer evaluation of your performance during actual operation. You need to pass both. Here are articles you can read to help you pass the tests: Passing the Written Test and Taking the Passing the Practice Test.
- The successful individual will get his certificate of training and license card. You are now proud certified operator.
- You can take those documents to a prospective employer or current employer as proof of your competency.
- It has three years expiration period. For renewal, you can read this article: How to Renew Forklift Certification.
You can READ these topics if you can use your forklift certification in another state, company or country:
- Can You Use Your Certification to Work in Other State as Forklift Operator?
- Can You Use Your Forklift License to Get Employment in Other Company?
- Can You Use Your Forklift Certification to Work in Other Company?
Forklift Training Requirements
- A young individual is prohibited under the Fair Labor Standards Act to operate a forklift, so 18 years is the legal age. Present ID for age confirmation.
- Can effectively communicate work plan with others around so that no accidents can be avoided.
- An individual must put on proper PPE. If an individual is observed not wearing, he could be reprimanded. This punishment must instill in his mind as early as the training stage so that he can correct his mistake, thus, avoiding safety violations in the future when assigned in actual work.
- Individual must adhere to safety awareness. Safety is always the top priority.
For more complete details about the requirements, you can READ this: What are the Forklift Certification Requirements?
Training Schools in Louisiana
- Louisiana Lift and Equipment Incorporated - 10299 Airline Hwy, St. Rose, (504) 463-3400
- Global Training & Environmental - 319 Mecca Street, Lafayette, LA 70508, Toll-Free: 877-593-8693, Phone: 337-593-8693
- Crown Lift Trucks - 901 South Labarre Road, Suite 202, Metairie, Fax: 504-739-9800
- On-Site Training, Inc. - 103 Simmons Dr, Houma, LA 70363, Phone: (985) 876-9955
- New Orleans Safe Driving School - 2518 Tulane Ave, New Orleans, +1 504-821-5334
- Deep South Equipment - 6851 Greenwood Rd, Shreveport, LA 71119, Phone: (318) 621-9000, Toll Free: (877) 857-4488, Fax: (318) 631-8303
- Rock Bridge Training Institute L.L.C. - 200 N Thomas Shreveport, Louisiana 71107, 1-318-219-5779
- J. Schneider and Associates Ltd. - 325 Industrial Pkwy, LAFAYETTE, LA 70508, 337-237-9486
- 1st Safety Services - 2492 South Cities Service Hwy Suite 1, Sulphur, LA 70663,
- H&E Equipment Services - 7500 Pecue Lane, Baton Rouge, LA 70809, 225-356-6113
- Center for Advanced Microstructures & Devices - 6980 Jefferson Hwy., Baton Rouge, LA 70806, +1 225-578-8887
- Malin Integrated Handling Sltn. - 5600 Jefferson Hwy., New Orleans, LA 70123-5124, (504) 733-8445
- Briggs Equipment - 7954 Airline Highway, Baton Rouge, LA 70815, 225-926-9206
- SRP Environmental - 348 Aero Dr, Shreveport, +1 318-222-2364
- SafetyPro Resources, LLC - 18405 E. PETROLEUM DR., SUITE C, Baton Rouge, PHONE: 800-941-0714, FAX: 225-709-9474
- Southern Crane & Hydraulics L.L.C. - P.O.Box 39, Bourg, LA 70343, Phone: (985) 851-5413, Fax: (985) 851-5470
What’s the Salary of a Licensed Forklift Operator in this State
A great opportunity lies ahead of you, as the demand for your skill is unwavering, businesses will always be looking for talent like you. The rise and growth of industries after the Global Financial Crises in 2009-2010 are continuing. Being a licensed operator, you can foresee a bright future.
If you are working in Louisiana as a forklift operator, the average annual salary you would get is $36,326. In Mississippi, the salary is considerably lower. According to the latest Febyary 26, 2021 report of Salary.Com, here are the cities and towns of Louisiana with high salary:
|$37,207 - Abita Spings||$36,081 - Husser|
|$37,511 - Arabi||$34,701 - Keithville|
|$37,389 - Barataria||$37,114 - La Place|
|$37,511 - Belle Chasse||$37,349 - Lafitte|
|$37,207 - Boothville||$34,717 - Leonville|
|$37,329 - Boutte||$36,081 - Lutcher|
|$37,511 - Chalmette||$37,207 - Montegut|
|$34,539 - Collinston||$37,329 - New Sarpy|
|$37,207 - Covington||$37,309 - Norco|
|$37,369 - Destrehan||$35,075 - Oscar|
|$37,012 - Edgard||$35,068 - Pearl River|
|$34,953 - Ethel||$34,721 - Princeton|
|$34,680 - Fairbanks||$36,816 - Reserve|
|$36,081 - Gibson||$35,814 - Slidell|
|$36,183 - Gramercy||$37,491 - Violet|
|$37,511 - Gretna||$37,511 - Westwego|
|$37,289 - Hahnville||$35,156 - Zachary|
|$37,511 - Harvey|
For more details: here is the salary matrix of forklift operator in every state and city of the US.
Contact these authorities, if you have safety and wages concerns, complaints or clarifications you want to verify:
Louisiana Department of Labor Office
5610 Coliseum Blvd, Alexandria, LA 71303, United States
Louisiana Workforce Commission
(225) 342-3111 | TDD (800) 259-5154
Occupational Safety & Health Administration
200 Constitution Ave., NW,
Washington, DC 20210
Cities and Towns of Louisiana
Abbeville, Alexandria, Amite City, Arabi, Arcadia, Avondale, Baker, Ball, Bastrop, Baton Rouge, Bayou Blue, Bayou Cane, Bayou Vista, Belle Chasse, Berwick, Bogalusa, Bossier City, Boutte, Breaux Bridge, Bridge City, Broussard, Broussard, Brownfields, Brownsville, Bunkie, Carencro, Carlyss, Central, Chalmette, Church Point, Claiborne, Covington, Crowley, Cut Off, Denham Springs, DeRidder, Destrehan, Donaldsonville, Eastwood, Eden Isle, Elmwood, Estelle, Eunice, Farmerville, Ferriday, Fort Polk South, Franklin, Franklinton, Galliano, Gardere, Gonzales, Grambling, Gramercy, Gray, Greenwood, Gretna, Hahnville, Hammond, Harahan, Harvey, Haughton, Homer, Houma, Inniswold, Jeanerette, Jefferson, Jennings, Jonesboro, Kaplan, Kenner, Lacombe, Lafayette, Lake Charles, Lake Providence, Laplace, Larose, Leesville, Lockport, Luling, Lutcher, Mamou, Mandeville, Mansfield, Marksville, Marrero, Meraux, Merrydale, Metairie, Minden, Monroe, Monticello, Morgan City, Moss Bluff, Natchitoches, New Iberia, New Orleans, New Roads, Oak Hills Place, Oakdale, Old Jefferson, Opelousas, Patterson, Pineville, Plaquemine, Ponchatoula, Port Allen, Prairieville, Raceland, Rayne, Red Chute, Reserve, River Ridge, Ruston, Schriever, Scott, Shenandoah, Shreveport, Slidell, South Vacherie, Springhill, St. Rose, Sulphur, Swartz, Tallulah, Terrytown, Thibodaux, Timberlane, Vidalia, Village St. George, Ville Platte, Violet, Vivian, Waggaman, Walker, West Lake, West Monroe, Westwego, Winnfield, Winnsboro, Woodmere, Youngsville, Zachary