A driver who operates a forklift without proper certification can become a danger to himself and others in the workplace. After all, driving a forklift is dangerous.
It looks easy to operate but when improperly handled, it could cause serious accident and injury. This is the reason why taking forklift safety training is vital for every company that uses this equipment.
Where else the training can be taken? At the forklift driving school. You may not notice that there is one near you.
The forklift driving school can be a career center, a community college or a private company that provides such training. Its primary role is to teach students how to operate the forklift in a safe and proper technique.
If you are an individual or an employer who is searching for a driving school where you can take the forklift training, for that matter, we can help you find one near you.
We have the directory of schools in every state or territory, just choose the location or country where you are situated below, you will find the lists there.
Select Your State
If You Are in Other Country:
Aside from the directory, we also prepared helpful guides to assist you on your journey. Just browse through our blog and FAQs sections, there you will find pieces of information to help you get certified.
You can also read this article about choosing training school:
Advantages of Enrolling at Forklift Driving School
Employers that have any type of forklifts must provide safety training to their operators. Some of the benefits that can be reaped from attending the training are:
The school has training programs suited to beginner’s needs. If you are a novice and planning to start a career as a forklift operator or you just want to get additional skill driving forklifts, the school can give you the knowledge you need to get on the job in no time.
- The driving school has the curriculum suited for experienced individuals who want to get a skill upgrade. Specialized training programs such as the train-the-trainer and leadership programs can be given to those who are planning to advance their careers.
- The forklift driving school can help the employer avoid hefty fines and penalties imposed a government regulatory body such as OSHA, for example. By sending the workers to the school to receive safety training, the employer is complying with the government rules and regulations. The employer has just to make sure to keep the training records of the workers. You can show these documents when the inspector pays a visit in the workplace. These are your proofs of compliance so that you would not be cited with a violation.
- The employer has the option to conduct forklift safety training on-site. You can make an arrangement with the driving school about your requirement and hire a trainer from them to do the actual training in the workplace. The on-site training is the best way the training should be done because the trainer can modify the course to suit with the condition of the workplace, the behavior of the workers, and safety program in place.
- Some training schools or career centers will help individuals find work after they’ve completed a forklift training course. These schools have connections with job agencies to place certified students into employment. Find one that offers such job placement assistance, this is of course for your advantage, you won’t be having a hard time finding a job.
- Forklift driving schools such as those private companies can deliver online certification. The online training is not a recommended way, if you ask us, because of its obvious disadvantage (practical training is not possible), but still many are opting to go through this approach. If you are busy and can’t find an available time, you can opt to choose online certification.
If you want to know is online forklift training is right for you, you can read this article:
Forklift Driving Can Be Dangerous
Statistics showed that there are dozens of fatalities and hundreds of injuries occurred each year caused by forklifts. This is the primary reason why OSHA had been and will be stringent in the implementation of 29 CFR 1910.178 standards.
So, what are the hazards associated with driving forklifts?
The most common forklift accident is turnover. A forklift can easily turn over if it is improperly driven. It should not be loaded more than its rated capacity, with its forks raised up high, or if it is traveling with its load not well balanced. Hence, the stability triangle is being taught during a classroom lecture.
Another common forklift accident is pedestrian being struck by the truck. This is a common occurrence especially when the forklift operator and other nearby worker are not paying attention to each other in the workplace. This accident could happen when the workplace is crowded with people and operating area is confined.
Fatality takes place when the victim is crushed by the massive forklift. Fork truck weighs several hundreds of kilograms, no wonder if the victim is crushed by this heavy equipment, there’s almost no chance of surviving.
Driving School Will Teach You Everything You Need to Know
The forklift driving school will help you on your path to pass the certification test. Training includes classroom discussion and practical hands-on training. Both of these are crucial portions of the training in order for the trainees to acquire the knowledge to be compliant with the law and to get certified driving forklifts.
In other countries such as Australia, forklift driving schools are commonly referred to as registered training organisaton (RTO). The RTO serves as a provider of vocational education and training to students who want to take nationally recognized training. RTO could be a privately-owned company or government-run institution.
In the UK, before a driving school can operate business, they should first be accredited by one of the accrediting bodies: Road Transport Industry Training Board (RTITB), Construction Industry Training Board (CITB), Lantra National Training Organisation Ltd. (LANTRA), Independent Training Standards Scheme and Register (ITSSAR), Association of Industrial Truck Trainers (AITT) and National Plant Operators Registration Scheme (NPORS).
As previously mentioned, employers can receive training onsite for their workers. By having the forklift training conducted in the actual workplace, it makes it more flexible to alter the training curriculum to correspond with the prevailing condition of the workplace.
Forklift driving school is where workers learn formal education on how to drive a forklift in a safe and efficient manner. They supply the knowledge and skills needed to get the job done.
If you are thinking of going to a training school, just browse the directory we prepared.