In Toronto, Ontario just like in the US, there’s no such thing as a forklift license, but it is synonymous with forklift training or certification.
If you hear the license, it refers to a certificate or card given upon the successful completion of a type of forklift training. Make no mistake.
Employers, the government and workers now are all aware of the importance of forklift certification because of the rise of accidents and deaths. The government has become stringent and employers and workers must comply with it.
All of you who arrive here in this article might be looking for forklift training. Hence, we have prepared this for you to understand the intricacies of getting one.
We also included the steps to take, training schools where you can enroll and the present legislation currently implemented, are the things you can learn from here.
Benefits of Having a Forklift License
With the confounding number of industrial accidents, worker injuries, damages, and mourning each year, there is no denial that forklift-related accidents must be stopped! This is the primary reason why there is much emphasis given by the federal and provincial governments on forklift training.
Employers now have realized the importance of contracting forklift operators with sufficient knowledge about the craft. They have in their shoulder the biggest responsibilities of forklift training provision. Hence, if you delve into this career, make sure you have the readied forklift license in your wallet so that you can show it to them. Here are some of the benefits of having a license:
- In compliance with government legislation, employers really want to establish a safe workplace. They want to reduce the accidents by the provision of a forklift certification course. If you completed a training course and issued with a license, then you are compliant with the safety and health advocacy of the company.
- It makes you ripe to be selected by the employer if you applying for a job. It also makes due for job promotion, if you are in possession of a forklift license.
- Licensed operators know how the equipment works, know when they needed maintenance, therefore trained forklift operators can reduce equipment maintenance cost.
- The license can save you from citation and penalty when inspectors from the government visited the company premises for inspection.
How to Apply for Forklift License
To make it simple, we just prepare these four steps in taking forklift training.
- Get ready for what you need. Determine your requirements. Forklift courses must be specific to the type of workplace and equipment in use. Therefore, when seeking for course, you must specify the type of forklift you want to operate or in use in the warehouse. You can talk to the trainer or school of your additional requirements if they can afford it to you.
- Forklift operators must attend the classroom lecture and discussion. Classroom lectures can be taken online if the school provided it so. There’s a blended approach here. The operator has the option to take the course from the computer at home or office, at your own pace and free time.
- Take and pass the written exam. This is some sort of measurement to evaluate the knowledge gained from the classroom.
- Attend the forklift practice driving. This is your chance of getting acquainted with the type of forklift you intended to operate.
- Get evaluated by the safety trainer so that you can receive your license at the end of the course.
You can take the forklift training from other cities like Mississauga, the process is the same.
Forklift Training Schools in Toronto
You are all looking for forklift training, and the mistake one makes is not knowing what included in the package. You just select what’s the cheapest. To help you, I encourage you to choose the school that’s best suited to your requirements no matter how much more expensive it is compared to others. Choose the school with an extensive and comprehensive training curriculum.
We’ve offered this list of schools in Toronto where you can enroll.
- Seneca College - Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 416-493-4144
- Mega City Forklift Training - 147 Norfinch Dr Unit #3, 416-335-5551
- Toronto Truck Driving School - 225 Claireport Crescent, 1-800-263-6748, 416-675-7500
- Davis Training, Inc. - 410 Ormont Drive, North York, (416)743-8638, 416.743.9849
- Liftow - 3150 American Drive, Toronto, (905) 677-3270, 1-800-387-3140
- Workplace Law Consulting, Inc. - 9000 Keele St. Suite 7, Vaughan , (416) 930-6180
- City Truck & Forklift Driving School Ltd. - 7003, Steeles Avenue West, Unit # 9, (416) 749-9449, (416) 289-3446
- CN Forklift Training Centre - (905)-405-0001
- Safety 1st Fork Lift Training Inc. - 705-436-6303, serves Toronto and GMT and other locations
- Torcan Lift Equipment Inc. - 115 Rivalda Rd., 416-743-2500
- Ri-Go Lift Truck Ltd. - 175 Courtland Ave. Concord, (416) 213-7277
- AAA Great Toronto Truck Driving School, Inc. - 1616 O"Connor Drive, (416)879-1616
- Work Safe Training - 416-321-9675 (Toronto)
Remember that a forklift license does not give you a job, but the skills you will get does. A forklift certificate only allows you to be qualified for a job, but without proper competency, you will just become stuck.
Present Government Legislations on Forklift Safety
CSA B335 Standard most significant changes were retraining of forklift operators, previously it was in every 18-month period. Now, as per the new standard, it must be on an on-going basis. The retraining must be done if operators are found to be lacking skills and knowledge when there’s new equipment introduced in the warehouse where operators do not know about its operation and control, when workplace setup changes during full business operation, and when the present standard superseded by the new legislation.
The inspectors Ontario Ministry of Labour shall ensure operators have the training, skills and experience to operate the equipment. They shall make routine visits and inspections to the companies province-wide. Aside from this, they will also check those supervisors to have the competency to supervise these operators.
The inspectors will verify the training records to check if the training is up to date. They will also conduct interviews with the operators to see if they are capable enough to operate the forklift. They shall inspector the safety program in place and if they are followed.
The inspectors will revisit these companies after a year to confirm rectification of violation, if there’s any from the initial visit, and to ensure compliance with legislation and law.
Salary of Forklift Operator in Toronto
As of this writing, forklift operator working in Toronto can make as much $35,100 per year on average while those experienced ones can make $43,133. This basic salary, this does not include bonuses, privileges and incentives.
The company can offer better pay if the operator has extensive experience and knowledge. Operator salary may depend also on the level of education. If you can prove your worth with the company, then you are assured of a better wage.
To Conclude This
Forklift driving can give you long-term employment in Toronto, you can be assured of a better future in this career. Businesses in this city are in continuous demand for skills like yours.
In order to enter this career, get yourself trained first. If you are an employer, get your workers trained. Take the forklift training by enrolling at the school or ask the internal trainer to provide it. It is on the shoulder of the employer. Getting a forklift license surely is an advantage.