In Oregon, forklift certification must be conducted before an employer allowed their forklift drivers to use forklift machinery. New operators before getting hired must be certified first. Now if you are serious about pursuing employment in this field and you want to add forklift certification as one of the credentials in your resume, then this tutorial is right for you.
We’ve listed down the steps you need to follow in order to apply for forklift certification in Oregon. You can read on:
Steps to Take When Applying for Forklift Certification
- Identify your training needs – there are many kinds of forklift trucks: the stand-up, sit down, electric pallet, electric riding pallet, combustion engine, all-terrain, and many others. You must determine what type of truck you are planning to use because the training course should be specific to the type of forklift.
- If you’ve decided on what training you need, you can now enroll in the course. The list of schools where you can enroll in Oregon is mentioned below for your reference.
- OSHA states that training courses should include formal and practical training and an evaluation. Attend the formal classroom lecture which is a 4-5 hour session. At the lecture, the trainer will teach about forklift control basics, operational fundamentals, pre-operation check, load limit calculation, the center of gravity and stability, fueling practice, battery recharging, OSHA rules, workplace inspection, accident prevention, analyzing hazards, and other subjects that may be deemed necessary.
- Practical hands-on training is next. The type of forklift an operator will be using during this part will depend on what he applied for the course. The trainer will directly supervise the training. At this stage, trainees will be given assignments like operational checks, maneuvering on obstacles, loading/unloading, stacking of materials at height, pallet arrangement, post-operation check, proper parking, and many others. During this evaluation, trainees are assessed to ensure that they’ve gained competency levels in safety and properly driving forklifts.
- The final stage is written examination and skill assessment. The trainees must get ratings of at least 75%. The passing grade may vary depending on the standards set forth by the school or trainer.
- Successful trainees will be issued certification and license cards. The forklift certification is valid for three years.
- When do you need recertification? We’ve listed done circumstances when you need to take recertification, please refer below.
Forklift Training Schools in Oregon
These schools are great places to get your certification. They’re equipped with facilities and approved trainers plus they set their own standard geared toward compliance with OSHA rulings.
- OVERTON Safety Training (OST) - 1623 SE Enterprise Circle, Hillsboro, OR 97123, Telephone: (503) 356-0403, Toll Free: (866) 531-0403
- Norlift of Oregon, Inc. - 7373 SE Milwaukie Expressway, Portland, OR 97222, Phone (503) 659-5438, Toll Free (800) 452-0050
- Affordable Safety Training LLC - 2632 SE 25th Ave, STE G, Portland, OR 97202, PHONE 888-213-0432
- NW Lift Truck Service, Inc. - 13691 N.E. Whitaker Way, Portland, OR. 97230, Tel: 503-256-8580
- Leavitt Machinery - 9585 SW Tualatin Sherwood, Tualatin, OR 97062, Ph: (503) 691-1430, Fx: (503) 691-2765
- The Northwest College of Construction - 8111 NE Holman Street, Portland, Call 503-256-7300, (503) 256-7300
- D2000 Safety, Inc. - P.O. Box 2939, Eugene, Phone: 541-284-2000, Toll free: 800-551-8763
- Raymond Handling Concepts - 3148 NE 181st Ave., Portland, Toll Free: 1-888-610-6611, Phone: 1-503-408-1000
- United Rentals - 3362 Silverton Rd NE, Salem, OR 97301, 503-393-1222
- Forklift Services of Oregon - 13805 N.E. Sandy Blvd., Portland, (503) 287-6700
- Safety First Oregon - 503-618-1980
- SE Works - 7916 SE Foster Road, Portland, Phone: (503) 772-2300
- All American First Aid - 16055 SW Walker Rd#196, Portland, OR, (503)-277-0563
- Associated General Contractors, Oregon-Columbia Chapter - 9450 S.W. Commerce Circle, Suite 200, Wilsonville, (503) 682-3363 & (800) 826-6610
- Central Oregon Community College - 2600 N.W. College Way, Bend, Oregon 97703, (541)-383-7700
- Linn-Benton Community College - 6500 Pacific Blvd. SW, Albany, Oregon 97321, (541) 917 4999
- Umpqua Community College - 1140 Umpqua College Rd., Roseburg, OR 97470, 541-440-4600
- Oregon State University - Corvallis, Phone: 541-737-2273
- Rogue Community College - 3345 Redwood Hwy, Grants Pass, OR 97527
If you are an employer who is looking for certification for your forklift operators, you have the choice to contact these schools to request for on-site training. Training schools can send their accredited trainer to your location.
For individuals who are seeking forklift certification, these schools can offer you professional training at a cost ranging from $100 to $500.
Forklift Certification Requirements
- The trainee must be at the legal age of 18. Present ID to confirm age.
- Completed high school or in possession of a GED certificate
- Must bring a valid state driver's license or state card
- Must be proper training attire (the wearing of steel-toe shoes, hard hats, vest, pants, and other PPE is recommended)
- Must physically fit since the nature of the job requires it.
Who must take forklift re-certification training
- An operator’s evaluation must be done every three years to validate the ability to safely drive a forklift truck, this is being conducted in the refresher course. The employer shall be responsible for the provision of the refresher course either on-site or at any location that resembles warehouse working conditions.
- Refresher course is also given to those operators who committed unsafe acts driving forklifts. When operators were involved in accidents like near misses or property damage incidents, they should undergo refresher courses as well.
- A Refresher course is also being administered for those operators who are assigned to operate different forklift trucks they’re unfamiliar with its use. The course is also given when there’s a change in workplace conditions, and weather patterns and is designed to work in confined space areas.
Salary of Licensed Forklift Driver in Oregon
The salary of a certified forklift driver in the state of Oregon is $38,834 on average per year. If an operator is certified to handle many types of forklift trucks, he can request a higher hourly wage. The closest state of Idaho has a much lower wage.
In the latest March 29, 2022 report of Salary.com, these cities offer the competitive salary for forklift operators:
|$39,081 - Adams||$40,479 - Gladstone|
|$39,081 - Antelope||$39,587 - Hammond|
|$40,089 - Arch Cape||$40,479 - Happy Valley|
|$40,089 - Astoria||$40,349 - Hillsboro|
|$39,170 - Aurora||$40,089 - Maupin|
|$39,046 - Bay City||$39,231 - Mulino|
|$40,479 - Beaverton||$40,219 - Newberg|
|$40,323 - Boring||$39,046 - Oceanside|
|$40,089 - Buxton||$40,479 - Portland|
|$40,089 - Clatskanie||$38,393 - Rickreall|
|$40,167 - Corbett||$39,046 - Rockaway Beach|
|$40,401 - Damascus||$39,046 - Tillamook|
|$39,124- Donald||$40,427 - Tualatin|
|$39,896 - Eagle Creek||$38,393 - Turner|
|$39,752 - Forest Grove||$40,141 - Warren|
|$39,989 - Gales Creek||$39,046 - Warm Springs|
An experienced forklift driver can be promoted to become an in-house trainer if he can prove his worth to the company and his expertise in his work.
If you have questions related to forklift certification, occupational safety and health standards, workers’ wages and benefits, or you have complaints, you may contact the concerning agency:
Oregon Occupational Safety and Health Division
P.O. Box 14480
350 Winter St. NE, Rm. 430
Salem, OR 97309-0405
Oregon Employment Department
119 N Oakdale Ave, Medford, OR 97501, United States
Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries
800 NE Oregon St., Suite 1045
Cities of OR
Portland, Eugene, Salem, Gresham, Hillsboro, Beaverton, Bend, Medford, Springfield, Corvallis, Albany, Tigard, Lake Oswego, Keizer, Grants Pass, McMinnville, Oregon, Redmond, Tualatin, West Linn, Woodburn, Newberg, Roseburg, Forest Grove, Klamath Falls, Milwaukie, Ashland, Wilsonville, Sherwood, Central Point, Hermiston, Pendleton, Coos Bay, Troutdale, Canby, Lebanon, Dallas, Happy Valley, The Dalles, La Grande, St. Helens, Cornelius,Gladstone, Ontario, Damascus, Newport, Baker, North Bend, Cottage Grove, Sandy, Monmouth, Astoria, Prineville, Silverton, Sweet Home, Fairview , Independence, Eagle Point, Florence, Molalla, Lincoln, Sutherlin, Stayton, Hood River, Milton-Freewater, Umatilla, Scappoose, Seaside, Brookings, Sheridan, Talent, Madras, Junction, Winston, Creswell, Warrenton, Tillamook, Philomath, Veneta, Phoenix, Reedsport, Wood Village, Coquille, Lafayette, Aumsville, Harrisburg, Toledo, Myrtle Creek, Mount Angel, Nyssa, Boardman, Oakridge, Hubbard, Dundee, King, Jefferson, Bandon, Shady Cove, Burns, Jacksonville, Estacada, Sublimity, Dayton, Myrtle Point, Gervais, Lakeview town, Gold Beach, Vernonia, Rogue River, Union, Stanfield, Sisters, Waldport, Willamina, Carlton